Who really started "swag" in hip hop? Vol. Proof..I guess I got mah swagga back!

Well, swagger is an actual word that hip hop didn't create. I'm sure the word has been mentioned several times, but as to who made it catchy/ popukar, I would have to say:
1a. Cam (had cats up north using it)
1b. Wayne (had everyone else using it, which is why he gets so much credit)

laugh.gif
at cats arguing who was the first to have swag. Any superstar had swag at their time.

Originally Posted by Mike Dolla

I really don't remember hearing it before that one Jay-Z verse, because before that every1 was still saying "fly, fresh, and poppin", so I guess the credit goes to Jigga!!!

"Used to walk with a swagger, now you simply stagger, from one spot on to the next spot on to the next spot on to the next..."

It goes all the way back to dudes like Afirka Bambatta, Grand Master Flash & the Furious 5 to BDK and Slick Rick. It just wasn't called swag then. If it wasn't for how annoying and trivial the term became it would've been the perfect word to describe the connection of attitude, style, personality, and how one carries themselves.

I already forgot who popularized the word. As for some of these first answers in general you could just look at the first major black figure to say who started it since hip hop is/was influenced by previous genres heralded by the black community.

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Well, swagger is an actual word that hip hop didn't create. I'm sure the word has been mentioned several times, but as to who made it catchy/ popukar, I would have to say:
1a. Cam (had cats up north using it)
1b. Wayne (had everyone else using it, which is why he gets so much credit)

laugh.gif
at cats arguing who was the first to have swag. Any superstar had swag at their time.
All of this.

Remember who made Swagger Jacker...

Well, since "swag" is a lame, redundant, overused word, "swag" was probably started by a lame, redundant, overexposed artist or group of artists.
Spoiler [+]
young-money.jpg
2882146.jpg
Lil-B-MTV-jan26.jpg

Back
Top Bottom