Who's the NBA's next megastar in around 5 years?

I think he term "megastar" is up to interpretation. But for me, megastars are not just incredible basketball talents. They are much more than that. They are huge personalities. They are larger than the game. They are celebrities. They are mobbed by people everywhere they go. They are presenters at movie/music awards. They are pop culture icons. They are easily identifiable by your grandma who has never watched a basketball game in her life.

Using the above criteria, I strongly believe the only "megastars" in my entire lifetime have been Michael Jordan, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.

And to answer the question topic of the thread, I dont think there is a single player in the league currently that will be a megastar in the next five years. Not a one. Anthony Davis included.

I might ad Allen Iverson to your list.

Its actually funny that you mention Iverson, because I was 50-50 on whether or not I considered him a megastar. Ultimately, I chose not to include him on my list, but I do think that he is probably the closest one.

I'd say Charles Barkley over Allen Iverson

Allen Iverson really didn't have many endorsements and he also turned off tons of fans

Allen Iverson really didn't have many endorsements and he also turned off tons of fans

True. Chuck turned off a lot of fans too though. But my point still remains. Megastars are few and between. I would venture to guess I am amongst the oldest of NTers and I stand by my view that there have only been 4 Megastars in my lifetime.

True. Chuck turned off a lot of fans too though. But my point still remains. Megastars are few and between. I would venture to guess I am amongst the oldest of NTers and I stand by my view that there have only been 4 Megastars in my lifetime.

You aint one of the oldest posters if you dont remember Magic and Bird :lol:

Who said I dont? I do remember them, thank you. They were superstars for sure. Like I sad, I guess it depends on ones interpretation of what a "megastar" is. Magic and Bird were close for sure too....but I still wouldnt have put them on the level of the 4 players I listed.

Who said I dont? I do remember them, thank you. They were superstars for sure. Like I sad, I guess it depends on ones interpretation of what a "megastar" is. Magic and Bird were close for sure too....but I still wouldnt have put them on the level of the 4 players I listed.

:lol: See this is where you'll get a HUGE disagreement from me

I'd venture to say Magic and Bird may be more important to the history of the NBA than even Michael Jordan

Last edited:
Iverson was a hero to under the 18 urban crowd but mainstream America wasn't checking for him..they basically hated that dude, he was a big part of the NBA's image problem in mid part of last decade.

Who you think the NBA is catered to? They have the youngest audience out of any sport.That under 18 group is one of the leagues biggest demographic. He just was viewed as a thug by white...I mean mainstream America but you fast forward to today everybody tatted with chains on. everybody wanna have handles, everybody had a phase when they had/tried to get braids...All that's because of Iverson. You can see his DNA in damn near every player in the league today.

I'd venture to say Magic and Bird may be more important to the history of the NBA than even Michael Jordan

What does that have to do with being a megastar? Singular. Superstars that together had a profound impact on the NBA of that generation. Yada Yada yada...we know. So, again...what's that have to do with this thread?

You post like your 60 years old or something and have seen and done all. Why the shtick?

davis
possibly wiggins
possibly parker
if kyrie can stay healty
curry will be in his 10th year so he is possibly the clear cut favorite.

no telling what new cats in the coming years will emerge quickly.

What does that have to do with being a megastar? Singular. Superstars that together had a profound impact on the NBA of that generation. Yada Yada yada...we know. So, again...what's that have to do with this thread?

You post like your 60 years old or something and have seen and done all. Why the shtick?

Maybe you couldn't follow the topic of the conversation....Basically it was megastars in our lifetime

By his own definition of a megastar, Magic and Bird fit that criterion...Pretty much everybody who was around when Magic and Bird were playing knew who they were.

They were pop icons

They were larger than life and they were mobbed everywhere they went. They had endorsements, video games, TV shows, movie theaters, products, mainstream bands wrote songs about them

I didn't know its a shtick to talk about history

If you take it as Ive seen and done all, I really don't know what to tell you man

Last edited:
You aint one of the oldest posters if you dont remember Magic and Bird
laugh.gif
So, the context of this is what, given your history as a poster?

Having to take up a couple pages of arguing with CP on the '72 Dolphins team was all it took. How else am I supposed to interpret those words of engagement other than you doing exactly what it is you do -- Trying to impress upon your 'seen-all-therefore-I-know' shtick?
They were pop icons

They were larger than life and they were mobbed everywhere they went. They had endorsements, video games, TV shows, movie theaters, products, mainstream bands wrote songs about them
What kind of bubblegum crap is this? 
I didn't know its a shtick to talk about history
So, you agree?

And specifically, it's not the history itself, it's you're execution, or lack thereof, that's annoying.
If you take it as Ive seen and done all, I really don't know what to tell you man
I know you don't.

Last edited:
I'd like to add, that I don't think you're wrong nor right exactly. You're surface argument is definitely debatable. It's how you bait the conversation that irks me.

I'm also argumentative right now.

Last edited:
Magic and Bird are no brainers. Then it was passed to MJ, then Shaq, then Kobe, now Lebron.

davis
possibly wiggins
possibly parker
if kyrie can stay healty
curry will be in his 10th year so he is possibly the clear cut favorite.

no telling what new cats in the coming years will emerge quickly.

No Thon Maker for anybody?

I think that if Blake could have, he should have by now.
Perhaps. I'm not campaigning that he is going to be or anything like that, but I think he does still have a shot at it. More so due to his off court ventures, his age, and city that he plays in.

Back
Top Bottom