Why are cigarette smokers so willing to give cigarettes to strangers?

I've had people just come up to me on the streets, asking if they can have a cigarette. I'll give, but for people I don't like, I'll say it's my last one. If you're a druggie, and you ask me for one, I won't even talk to you.

I had a black and mild and had 'no light'. I was waiting around in the parking lot, scouting for smoke in the air. Fortunately, I smelled it, and saw a black dude in his car w/ the phone. He probably knew what I was going to ask, but when I opened my mouth, he gave me the 'stop' hand sign and told me to wait. He looked infuriated, and I guess he was arguing on the phone.

I waited, thinking to give it a last shot, and sure enough, he gave me his yellow 'bic' lighter. LOLZ

After that, I returned the lighter and said thanks, but he took the lighter and just threw it in the passenger seat. I then began power walking olympic style back to my car. lolz

how long do cigs stay good for? like can a person keep a box for several days, even weeks?

So I've noticed that whenever a stranger asks a smoker for a cigarette, the smoker is usually generous enough to give it to them. Happens like every time based on my observations. Is there some explanation? Is it because smokers know the withdrawal feeling and feel sorry if another smokers doesn't get their fix? I don't smoke so I don't know how it feels.
misery loves company

This is the worse in New York. "Yo can I get that bust down?" Random dude on the street, I don even kno these dudes. An then if I get a bust down, a random dude will come up "yo can I get that ace?" fa reel son???

they ask, but then they be like oh nevermind

i smoke black n milds 
smokin.gif

Not a smoker, but I would guess its some familiarity or common bond of smoking ...

Motorcycle riders are similar ...

They will tend to help out other riders...

person: hey you have an extra cigarette?

me: sorry it doesnt come with extras.

Ill give one out time to time, depending on how the person approaches me. Ask nicely and ill be more than happy to give you a stog.

how long do cigs stay good for? like can a person keep a box for several days, even weeks?
depends on how often you smoke, I know a few folks that finish a pack a day :wow:.
:smokin
But to answer, yeah I guess it's just generosity. I personally do it to complete strangers if I had a freshly opened pack (hopefully i don't get jacked :lol:), but I really hate those friends that always bum & never have their own pack but always expect you to give them one especially if they're drunk or in a public place :stoneface: (I don't even know why I consider them friends :smh:)

I bummed one this weekend, apologized for asking & ended up buying the person a drink. It's smokers etiquette to share, I always do unless it's my last one.

Every new day is the start of the last pack, the pack you burn through cause it doesn't matter because you're quitting today. So you don't have a problem giving some of that death away.

...I'm an ex smoker, two packs of 100's in a day for 10 years.

i dont see how someone can do this :x :x

Because I know what it's like not to have one :smokin

this :pimp:

I dont really mind bumming *shrugs*

Same reason if you are on a motorcycle and pass someone else on a motorcycle, you must wave or point or head nod; any type of generally positive method of acknowledging them

I had a kid ask me for one the other day. When I asked how old he was he just walked away.
laugh.gif

I usually have no issue giving one out. I know that feel.

Scumbag Steve: Ask for a light, then a cigarette afterwards.

I smoked at least 15 times and I only paid for weed once :smokin

smoking cigs is idiotic but im always impressed by their altruistic etiquette. Great convo starter too.

I always thought it had to do with some deeper level of camaraderie, kind of like sharing something in common for the rest of your life.

Obviously, there are limitations based on how the stranger acts when requesting a cigarette. But generally, if asked politely, it makes a lot of sense to share a cigarette.

I got no problem sharing a smoke with someone who needs one,I know exactly how they feel...I guess it might be different for some of you cats where cigarettes are 9 or 10 dollars a pack :smh:

I usually always give 2 if someone asks..I get free cigs so I share. If I pay for it I'd have to think twice.

Back
Top Bottom