why are you a sneakerhead? (real sneakerheads only)

cuz the next man was....

lol... i keed, i keed..

i aint no sneakerhead, though...

i just cop a lotta kicks....

I just buy too much kicks cuz it's what I do...
(but I pass on almost every that hits stores)

buy/sell. Forum is were it's at...haha

I am a sneakerhead because I am a sports fan. The things I've seen these athletes do in these kicks just amaze me. As in, Not only was that a nice move, but the shoes made it look beautiful!

I am a sneakerhead because of the memories. I went to school in a rough area. But I had everything I wanted, especially kicks. My dad was a uhhh, entrepreneur, so every pair he had, I had. Kids hated and admired me for my kicks. It's like every week they were expecting me to walk in with a new shoe. I remember having the Olympic 7 sky jordans. Til this day my homie does not believe there was a pair of Olympic 7s without the metallic silver.

I am a sneakerhead because of the art. A pair of Air Jordans is like a Picasso painting but better.

i admit im not a sneakerhead or die hard jordan fan. i just like his kicks so i buy them.. i could care less if someone judges me on my "shoe knowledge", i mean its just FREAKIN SHOES!!! I have a life outside of buying shoes lol...

The term "sneakerhead" is extremely lame and when ppl call themselves that, I tend to not take them seriously after that.

I never chose to be what is referred to as a "sneakerhead". But I have always had an appreciation for sneakers....

Originally Posted by Cadwallader

Two words: Michael Jordan.

"Quality basketball products inspired by THE GREATEST PLAYER EVER."

I was one of those kids that just wanted to be like Mike. If it wasn't for Michael, I could care less about a basketball sneaker.

QFT
pimp.gif

the sneaker enthusiast in me is dying because I (I take personal responsibility) have overdone it. I have way too many shoes
but when I was one, I'd say its from watching Jordan and the Bulls at family parties.

I never thought I'd ever be into shoes this deep. All during elementary school all i rocked was pro-wings and sonic and ninja turtles sneakers from payless. Then one day on my mom's NORSTROMS adventures, (ALL DAY LONG EVENT....) I glanced at a shoe with a hologram and the sleekest all black shape I ever saw. (Black White True red "Playoff" XIII) I was so naive back then....michael jordan was my favorite player and I had NO IDEA I WAS LOOKING AT HIS SHOE!) My mom looked at the price with that "hell no" look on her face and I copped some uptempo's instead.

Memories....that's the reason why I have the shoes that I have now.....each one that I have represent a time or place in my life that has influenced who I am today.

My V's (Laneys, Grapes and Fire Red) remind me of how I always used to watch and want to be like Fresh Prince when I grew up.

2004 Olympic (GOLD) Dunk remind me of Miami and even though I was raised in Northern Cali, I always had a "miami Vice" cool kid swag thanks to my cousins putting me on the cool way back when I used to visit when I was little. (side note- shoe taught me how to handle attention correctly...metallic gold finish with metallic speckled sole= massive neckbreaks and questions)

XIV Blk and Red - The FIRST Jordan I ever owned and had my mind on getting....I SAW THE SHOT live on TV....I was sold. Came out a day before my birthday and went in the next day and copped my size EASILY.....(those were the days!)

Foamposite Pearls- I remember saying to my dad "I WANT THE SPACEBOOT SO I CAN MOONWALK IN THEM!" ( C+ in math so it was a hell no)

Pee Wee SB DUNK- Who didn't want pee-wees movies or the Playhouse on saturdays alongside TMNT and XMEN?

JORDAN XX QS- Also bought in miami...FIRST pair of Jordan's I bought with my OWN money....(I overdrafted so these actually cost me 235....ALWAYS CASH YOUR CHECKS WITH BANK OF AMERICA DON'T DEPOSIT EXPECTING FUNDS TO BE READY RIGHT THEN AND THERE!!!)

I'm kinda tired so I don't feel like typing the rest of the storys but thats why I am whatever "NAME" you want to call me. With my kicks I'm always chasing the past..,Thats why I have a Delorean as my avatar.

i say the real sneakerheads r international buyers!!! lol nobody gives a sh*t bout jordans around da world except few.. they r da true sneakerheads

Originally Posted by Cadwallader

"Quality basketball products inspired by THE GREATEST PLAYER EVER."

I was one of those kids that just wanted to be like Mike. If it wasn't for Michael, I could care less about a basketball sneaker.
yup, i'm pretty sure if it wasn't for MJ everyone would still be rocking high top converse
laugh.gif

but seriously, i was very fortunate to watch MJ in his last few years before his 2nd retirement.  if it weren't for him i wouldn't love basketball or shoes in general.

Originally Posted by hotdamnXI23

I like what I like, I could care less what other people think about them.
Damn straight.

For me everything is bought with the purpose of being absolutely destroyed in a court (concrete,dirt driveway, gym, indoors, wherever I can play), or for rocking on the street. I only wish some of my shoes were more avaliable but the world wont end if I cant catch a pair or J's.

OG collectors have the greatest pics in the showcase. My greatest pics come when my gf snaps a pic of my flabby #%# pretending to play ball with my kicks on!!
tongue.gif

Well for me, growing up with was 50% MJ, 50% wanting to be one of the kids with the newest kicks. I never really got to be that dude..lol. By he time I bought my first pair J's (CG Retro IXs), it wasn't about having the latest and greatest, it was about buying them because I finally could! I wasn't 'collecting', I was knocking off kicks and beating them into the ground! (OG XVIIIs, XIXs, XXs, XXIs, and XXIIs). I stop copping for a couple years, and only recently started with the '09 Space Jams. At this point for me it's about collecting my grails; all the shoes I wanted back in the day that I missed out on. I'll still rock them from time to time, but it's more about getting and keeping them.

So yeah, at this point I'd say that I'm a sneakerhead because I have a passion for those old classics, and because I can remember Jordan dominating in them, they hold a sentimental value.

PS - I don't mind the term 'sneakerhead', because to me it defines this hobby/passion I have....I stay up on releases, know the history of each pair of shoes I own, and frequent sites like this one to associate with cats that have the same affinity for Jordans. I don't get mad or knock anybody else's reasons for copping, long as I get mine! lol

i buy what i like. and like jwalkinsob as a kid i wasn't able to get jordans like some other kids. and now i actually have money to get them
i am taking advantage of it. i don't buy to impress people i buy for my personal satisfaction. and if you get caught up into the hype you just
end up buying something you don't really want and end up regretting later.

I am not a sneakerhead... I'm a NIKEHEAD!!!... It's all about nostalga... Wanting that original shoe you couldn't have back then... But now since we got the money we can get whatever we can. But lately it's been a fad/trend.. Just a bunch of hypebeast who buy only for the hype and "exclusiveness" and they don't even like or have knowledge about the shoe. The real true heads have been around since the beggining and don't even consider themselves sneakerheads... We been around even before that term sneakerhead came about.. We simply love shoes are very passionate about shoes primarily for me it's just Nike. To me sneakerheads are hypebeast... They wear things to break necks just trying to get attention to boost their ego. They wear anything alife, supreme, crooks and castles, the hundreds, undefeated, etc along with really tight skinny jeans and a crooked baseball new era fitted cap. That ain't me.. All I care is that I got the shoe that I love and always wanted that's all that matters to me. Forget the hype and I hope it dies so that way we can just walk into a store and easily buy that shoe or umm shoe(s).

Im a Jordanhead because ever since I was 8 i have fell in love with Jordan brand. I first saved up for shoes at that age. I can still remember my first white and black jordan 9. My dad wouldn't buy it for me because there were air max CB 34s on the sale rack and he got those for me. the following day, i started saving up for the kicks i wanted. I didn't eat in school and saved all my allowance to have those 9s. It became a habit for me. Im now 25, and I still save up for sneakers though now I know how to budget better and can buy more than a pair a year. LOL. I just love it when people get their necks broken looking at me wearin my sneakers.

i collect because i use to have all these shoes when i was younger. its funny how something such as a shoe can bring memories back.

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Michael Jordan- thats where it started, wanting shoes as a kid and not being able to get them... its a part of my childhood and has never left me, now for these kids that didn't grow up watching mike, not too sure what has them hooked.

Couldn't say it better myself QFT!!!! and for me in addition it wasnt just Mike. It was Penny, Barkley, Pippen, Spreewell, Allen Houston, Harold "Baby Jordan" Minor, Tim "Killer Krossover" Hardaway, Shawn Kemp, Kenny Anderson, Chris Mullin, Glen Rice,.......I mean I can go on and on and on. Growing up watching these iconic basketball athletes and the shoes they wore literally made me feel that if I wore them too, I'd be just like them lol. That was the love and that was the passion which today still exists within me everytime I look at some of my OG collectibles sitting in my home..

I got into sneakers in around the 7th to 8th grade and it wasn't even apair of jordans that really turned me onto the whole kicks thing (it was my white and silver shelltoes). Anyways at one point in time 8-12th grade I went to schools that required you to wear uniforms so because of that the only real way I had to express myself was my kicks. I started hanging with alot of older guys wo kinda did the same thing and eventually they just put me on game as to what is hot and what isn't. Basically thosw times started my love for sneakers n it has honestly just never slowed back down. Now I'm 22 and a couple weeks away from graduating from undergrad and I just so happen to still be into kicks this has become a long-term hobby because it always brings me back to those earlier days when I really use to grind in order to get kicks. I even cop stuff that I remember seeing other kids in as a child just to make up for some of that time lost.

I'm a sneakerhead all because of the love. I didn't get my first pair of Jordans until the sixth grade. I got the black/red 7s and my mom had officially created a monster. My parents would limit me to one pair a year, so I started working hard to get every pair that I could. After a small time movie role before 7th grade, I got the Finals 8s and the Jason Kidd's(Zoom Flights) in black and white. My folks refused to let me buy the Deion Sanders that summer. I used to save my lunch money along with whatever allowance and work money I had.

I just love gymshoes. Jordans were my favorite, but I would also get Pennys, Pips, 1s and Maxes. One of my boys was a shoehead and we would grab every release that came out. My favorite moments in working were at Kids FTL, FTL and Finishline. The discount and the ability to get the freshest pair only added to my addiction.

Like any real sneakerhead, I craved the new shoe smell and would literally analyze every detail. I couldn't stand those that got the shoes just for the name, IMO, you had to buy b/c you loved the shoe and how it looked on you.

My family would always say I was crazy for paying so much for so many shoes, but my big cuz Peanut (RIP) shared the love of being fresh with me so he understood. I still remember sneaking his carolina 9s to school one day. I even went on a silent strike when my mom didn't buy the 12s for me. I feel bad for it now, but boy did I win when she said nothing while taking me to footaction to pick up the white and blacks which I ended up trading in for the wht/reds b/c I had no job sophomore year.

I could go on and on but to sum it up, ITS ALL ABOUT THE LOVE!

It started in '92, when my parents got me the VII's in Black/Red/Purple.  From that point on, I needed every pair of J's but couldn't afford them.  But I've had my eyes on Mike's feet since I saw the '88 slam dunk contest on TV.  It also fascinates me what inspires a certain shoe, like the XIV's and the Ferrari Maranello.  So, for me it's nostalgic and artistic all at once. 

i aint gonna lie.. all these answers are SOOOOOO damn cliche
laugh.gif
No offence to anyone but damn its all the same thing.. but im sure yall did grow up on MJ and stuff

I HATE the damn word SneakerHead, SneakerCulture.

And OF CORUSE everyone is gonna consider themself a true "SneakerHead"

Imma be honest of how i started. Shoes were never truely a staple of me growing up. Neither was MJ,sure i grew up watchin some Bball and SPACE JAM THE MOVIE
pimp.gif
but I mostly grew up watching Cartoons, Mighty Ducks, Baseball (NYY
pimp.gif
) and some Hockey (Gretzkey wen on the NYRs). Bball mattereds more Until later on wen i was in damn near High school... and shoes my Senior year of HS

Im still fairly new at this "game".. Only a lil over a year in it

How i became a addict for shoes.. I applied for a new NikeStore that opened here. I got the Job. Had to go through 8hr-12hr days of training (Not kidding) to learn about the history and products of Nike. Became really interested in it. Did research on my own. Saw shoes online saying "Those look sick" and decided to go hunt for them. Bought them. Kept researching, found Niketalk became a member and basically the rest is history... Kept liking the Looks and Tech of shoes and now im a avid sneaker buyer. I buy what i like. I didnt start this addiction off trends, trust me wen i say that cuz i have quite a few friends who've BEEN into shoes and i always thought it was stupid to buy so many shoes... My interest, simply started from my job. I love NIKE RETRO & NIKE BASKETBALL. Not so much JB but they get my $
everyonce i awhile.

But anyways the reason i know and many ppl probably sence that im not a HYPEBEAST is cuz it was once my job and now is my passion.. Its one of the few things at this point in my life that brings me personal joy... My whole journey never started off trends or hype. It started from Work .. With Nike
smile.gif

well i think the passion definetly has to be there to be considered a "sneakerhead" as a kid my mom bough me all the new j's when they came out, my grandmother lived in chicago and we visited alot so being a fan of jordan himself just came naturally. My mom passed away when i was 9 and my dad did no thave the money for the kicks like she did so it was liek 1 maybe 2 pairs a year and i always wanted all of them but could never afford them. When i got a job all my money went to kicks my dad hated it my friends thougth i was crazy, my dad would get mad b/c i wouldn't wake up for school on time but coem release date i was up extra early just to try and be the first one with them in my neigborhood. Well time has moved on and the passion is still there and mainly in kinda of a bonding/keeping the tradition alive type situation wit my mother, but i still love my shoes and ppl trip b/c i don't wear them that much i try but it don't alwys work. I'll admit i have let hype get me a time or two but i do it b/c i love it. Yhere is nothing better than picking up a pair of kicks and taking them home gettign them laced the way you choose to wear them and then whenever you decide to wear them its a great feeling.

i will be 30 next month..been doin this for years. if im not mistaken since my junior high, when JB released OG aqua VIII. fell in love with the concords, but couldnt afford them at that time.
yes i collect them, i wear them and i love them. but still i do not consider myself as a SNEAKERHEAD...
im just doing what i like..

Back
Top Bottom