Why Do We Still Have Black History Month????

[h2]White History Year Resumes[/h2]
MARCH 5, 2003 | ISSUE 39•08

WASHINGTON, DC—With Black History Month over, U.S. citizens are putting aside thoughts of Harriet Tubman and George Washington Carver to resume the traditional observation of White History Year.

onion_news344_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg
[color= rgb(153, 153, 153)]A stamp honoring European-American aviation pioneer Charles Lindbergh is unveiled as part of White History Year celebrations.[/color]

White History Year, which runs annually from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, with a 28-day break for Black History Month in February, is dedicated to the recognition of European-Americans' contributions to American politics and culture.

"Frederick Douglass and Martin Luther King Jr. are all well and good," said Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist at a banquet celebrating the arrival of White History Year, "but now is the time to reflect on the accomplishments of such whites as Babe Ruth, Alexander Graham Bell, and Presidents Washington through Bush. Let's use these next 11 months to remember the otherAmerican history."

"Whites have contributed so much to this country," Frist continued. "Did you, for example, know that a white man, Jonas Salk, discovered the cure for polio? It's true."

From now until Feb. 1, 2004, educators will eschew discussions of Rosa Parks in favor of Andrew Carnegie, Neil Armstrong, and Tim Allen. Schools nationwide will shelve African-American history pamphlets in favor of such Caucasiacentric materials as the Macmillan & Rowe American History Textbook New Revised Standard Editionand Encyclopedia Britannica.

Scholars say there is a remarkable wealth of documented white history to explore.

"There's so much more white history out there than you might imagine," said Dr. James Corman, a Princeton University history professor. "America's publishing houses, newspapers, movie studios, magazines, and radio stations have kept remarkably thorough records of white Americans' accomplishments."

White History Year will also be commemorated on television, with various networks airing special programming recognizing whites' contributions to society. The History Channel will set aside the Tuskegee Airmen documentaries that have dominated its schedule throughout February, instead presenting programs on Chuck Yeager, the white man who broke the sound barrier, and Paul Revere, a key white figure in the nation's fight for independence from England. A&E's Biography will spotlight such white luminaries as Johnny Unitas, Mae West, and Edward R. Murrow. Between prime-time programs, NBC will air White History Minute segments hosted by white actress Bernadette Peters.

Americans of every color will set aside their differences to celebrate White History Year.

"I think it's good to give people a closer look at a culture they usually don't even think about," said Gary, IN, realtor Willie Anderson, a respected member of the city's black community. "I mean, it's right in front of you every day. It's such a huge part of your life. You're surrounded by it from the day you're born until the day you die, so it's easy to take for granted that you already know just about everything there is to know about it."

Added Anderson: "Do you realize that Henry Ford, a white man, invented the 'assembly line,' a mass-production technique that revolutionized industry around the world? They had something about it on TV again last night."
terminator.gif

Originally Posted by G o D Jewels

The bigger question is why do people constantly question the need for MLK day and BHM, but not other holidays.

I'll wait.

I didn't learn a lot of history by looking at photographs, or paintings, or other visual media. I learned most of what i know of history by reading. I am glad that the history books that i read did not focus on identifying a historical figure by the color of their skin. George washington was a man. George washington carver was a man. Their accomplishments as men had an impact on history as we know it.

In the future, history books will not be differentiating between which historical figure was white or black. The lines are slowly blurring anyways. We are all people. 

Originally Posted by az5950

8eh41t

Sh*t like this makes me just...smh
I seriously doubt that was the only thing on sale, just one item that someone that was ironic. And as far as schools go they don't have enough time to teach everything about slavery, civil rights movements etc. although Im sure alot of teachers would go for it. I'm still for the month, cuz yeah this was not even a long time ago. 40 years in some countries is like a minute to America because we're still relatively young. And like other people said if you take away this month it won't be incorporated throughout the year it will be forgotten

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

The bigger question is why do people constantly question the need for MLK day and BHM, but not other holidays.

I'll wait.
For the record, Black history month isn't a holiday, it's supposed to be a month of awareness.

I question why there's a Columbus Day... He didn't discover America. People have been in socal for 10000+ years.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think the history of my people should be limited to one month. Simple as that.

Originally Posted by illwill24

But why is it necessary that we must teach these things only in February is my question?

Because if you didn't raise the awareness at least for a month, you would NEVER hear about it.

The stuff I heard about in Black History Month in elementary to highschool....George Washington Carver, Madam CJ Walker, Marcus Garvey, Chrispus Attucks....I have NEVER heard about these people outside of that month

I'm scared that if not for that month, us as blacks would NEVER have this stuff taught to us

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER

Im out

Why aren't/weren't your parents teaching you this stuff at home? That's an even scarier question.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black History Month is a necessary evil. I think studies need to be done on its effectiveness, because generation after generation seem to view it in a different light.

Originally Posted by Josednk1068

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by Josednk1068
Those are key words you obviously missed while reading that.
No you are missing what I am saying, if it was embeded in you with a strong emphasis on it ... then you would remember. So either it doesn't mean much to you or it didn't mean much to the school system that you were under.
Or the fact that I'm 7 years removed from high school, 11 years removed from middle school, and 14 years removed from elementary. Use some common sense there.

Schools don't even talk about black history accurately. Can't rely on that school system BS. My advise for young blacks is to learn on your own. We need to learn as much as possible about our history.

Originally Posted by Maximus Meridius

Schools don't even talk about black history accurately. Can't rely on that school system BS. My advise for young blacks is to learn on your own. We need to learn as much as possible about our history.
Most don't care normally unless it is this month.  Sad, but true

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

I'll wait.
For the record, Black history month isn't a holiday, it's supposed to be a month of awareness.
Semantics.

The US will forever try to rid itself of this terrible past. U can not celebrate it or remove it from textbooks but it won't make it go away.

Since we asking questions about "holidays" why do we still celebrate Christmas the way we do when we do, it's been said Jesus was born sometime in the spring. Why celebrate Hanukkah? That didn't even happen in America. Arbor Day? There's enough trees. New Years day, big whoop, it's another yr. Birthdays, so what, u're older, u'll be older tomorrow than u are on ur bday.

Furthermore, why do we have summer break? I don't see kids harvestin crops. Why do we have daylight savings time? We have electricity.

BHM is to raise awareness like Autism week, breast cancer month, etc. If u don't know your history, u'll be doomed to repeat it. These younger kids growin up need to be taught somewhere about the important things blacks (not African Americans) have done to shape this country.

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Originally Posted by illwill24

Obama had that lady put her hand in his face, a congressman called him a Tar Baby, another congressman called Michelle a big booty ho. As incompetent as Bush was, NO ONE disrespected him like that.
W was called a racist by Kanye West, had a shoe thrown at him, people call him the worst President ever, etc... Every President catches heat. Continue on with yalls discussion.

No, Kanye West said George Bush doesn't care about black people, which still holds true. Being called the worse President ever
laugh.gif
? A shoe thrown at him in a FOREIGN country. The blatant disrespect towards President Obama and his wife on racial grounds can not go ignored. Catching heat and being blatantly disrespected by other politicians while serving in the highest office in the United States is completely different.

We still need BHM, but even more we need our own people to educate themselves on our rich history in this country. If you limit this month to your own acknowledgment of your history then you are losing.

Its simple humans just need to start calling each other by their names. . .the past is the past we need to move forward at some point.

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

I'll wait.

I question why there's a Columbus Day... He didn't discover America. People have been in socal for 10000+ years.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think the history of my people should be limited to one month. Simple as that.

thats not the bigger question at all

the bigger question is why is MLK's progressive legacy against the system itself covered up by a bunch of PC 'I have a dream' rhetoric?

Martin had a lot more depth in his individuality that of course is swept under the rug because we're satisfied and pacified as long as we have ONE FEDERAL DAY off...
eyes.gif
...yeah that was Martins dream alright...for blacks to get a federal designated day off on his birthday while the actual trends plaguing the black community and the world at large he was fighting to eradicate have arguably worsened and deteriorated.

who cares what people think about the holiday. What people THINK is irrelevant because people have time and time again proved their inability to think for themselves.

Real black history is revisionist history and destroying the master narrative once and for all while establishing our TRUE selfhood. 

Our history is not confined to a single month. That's the bigger picture...other men defining our existence with their lies and cover ups. Its not about no holiday...$#$% a holiday. No days off until what needs to get done is done and over with.

chaos-or-community.jpg

Writing material like this book gets you assassinated in America. Highly recommended.

.the past is the past we need to move forward at some point.
that  is a shallow thing to say and a shallow way of thinking my man... the past is what got us here today...people who fear change and the unknown will always throw this idiotic logic out....the past is not the past...things just don't happen and go away...everything that takes place is a chain of REACTIONs...thats a simple physical fact...so no the past is not just the past. no matter how hard you wish that to be true.

if you truly want to move forward maybe you should give an honest assesment of the past as well as the contemporary situation and shape your ideals of forwardness with that in mind.

Originally Posted by az5950

8eh41t

[Warned for profanity] like this makes me just...smh

I dont get why this is offending. Do you know how many times ive heard black people talk about liking kool-aid because they're black. Same thing with fried chicken. But once its noted like your picture for example its offending? Do you get mad at other black people when they openly talk about liking kool-aid? Does it offend you when movies reference it? Movies like Friday?
Who doesnt love kool-aid. Its one of the most awesome things on this earth to drink. Black people started the stereotype by talking about loving it more than everyone else. 

Black history month is a joke. Black history is world history; we created civilization and are the original man. To say this month is to celebrate us and our past is insulting.

Because the %!#$ aint in history books. At least not the ones I grew up with.

the subtext of the entire month has nothing to do with blacks or their history - why? Because i have learned nothing in my years in public school about black history aside from MLK's "I have a dream" speech and how blacks used to be slaves in america but are now emancipated. Its more about further inculcating the incessant rhetoric of america's greatness and "freedom". How can a non-black person perceive this month or MLK day in any other way than admiration, "progress" and subsequent complacency in regards to such issues as social inequality, race etc.? Well, at least thats how i see it. Personally I would love to have learned about old african civilizations, songhai empire, moorish influence on europe etc. At the end of the day, its up to me to school myself and I dont need 1 month out of the year to remind me what i should "learn." 

because blacks are treated like second class citizens. period. and if you follow the GOP campaign, you will see that this racism is still very strong in throughout the country.

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

BHM is to raise awareness like Autism week, breast cancer month, etc.
end of thread. That's the reason for Black History Month. To raise awareness of the contributions black people have made. God forbid we should encourage people to read or learn about something they are ignorant to, even if it is just 1 month out of the year. 

Back
Top Bottom