Why is it so hard to root for ourselves with the same enthusiasm that we root for everything else?

I got the question from this blog entry. Why is it that we haveso much passion and faith in so many other things like the New York Yankees, Manny Pacquiao, President Obama or Michael Jordan yet we do not root with as muchenthusiasm for ourselves?

Is it because it puts too much pressure on us? Is it because we know the "full story" and all of our faults?

What do you guys think?

newyork_1516808c.jpg

manny-pacquiao10.jpg

obamawin.jpg

radio_g_jordan_trophy1_400.jpg

Good topic.

I find that the reason we dont put as much faith in ourselves as we do other people is because we dont "see" ourselves as well as others may see us.

its human nature to want to succeed and triumph and we constantly are reflecting the negatives in our lives because we see the positives as things that"are supposed to happen."

My response may have been a bit vague, ill try and elaborate a little later when i have more time

As crazy as I am about the Yankees, Knicks and Giants. I don't root for any of them like I root for my nephew's football team. the closer to home thebigger fan i am. I go crazy when i ace a final in school.

Well those people you root for are already good at what they do and they influence other people into doing what they do. When you trying hard to get where youwant to be....i dont know exactly how to put it.

because personal glory isn't as celebratory as collective glory.

its easy rooting for your favorite team, when everyone else is.

its hard rooting for something or someone, no one knows about. ...and by "no one" i don't mean friends and family, i mean the MASSES, EVERYONE.

but victory is within, there is no self encouragement unless there is something you are scared of, or unwilling to do.

most of us need incentives to be motivated, when we learn that the biggest incentive is personal pride, thats when we can root for ourselves.

Originally Posted by Club29

Good topic.

I find that the reason we dont put as much faith in ourselves as we do other people is because we dont "see" ourselves as well as others may see us.

its human nature to want to succeed and triumph and we constantly are reflecting the negatives in our lives because we see the positives as things that "are supposed to happen."

My response may have been a bit vague, ill try and elaborate a little later when i have more time

Basically said what I came in here to say.

I find that internally I work very differently. On the outside I strive and strive, go to school, get the grades ect...but where will this lead me? Life ismuch different than sports, which is why I find it so easy to cheer for my favorite athletes. Why? Because the goal is so clear, my athlete/team either A)Losesor B)Wins....life is much more grey than that and it is hard to stay faithful to ones self through so many ups and downs. If none of that made any sense, lifeitself is not a game, so the end result is more grey than white and black, so cheering for ones self would only lead to let downs.

Because we complicate life. Instead of appreciating our success we dwell on our failures and inadequacies. If you have a favorite player and someone talkssmack about them you start saying how many championships they have won, their midrange shot, their killer instict and you disregard their faults. Simplyput...it is easier to root someone else..because if they fail it doesn't affect you. If you root for yourself (confidence, positivity) you feel it whenthings don't go right. That is what separates winners/losers..perspective. Someone that unequivocally and unconditionally roots for/believes in themselvesis a winner..someone that doesn't is a loser. Simple as that. If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will.

Good topic.

I think it's easier to sit back and be a spectator and just root for someone else because it requires less effort. They do all the hard work and you justget to share in their glory.

It takes a lot of dedication, hard work, discipline, practice etc. to be successful. When you're rooting for someone else to succeed you can share in theirsuccess without actually having to put in all the effort needed to achieve that success.

Me personally I'm my own worst critic and I'm never fully satisfied with what I do so I always end up focusing on what I can't do or what I dowrong vs. what I'm capable of doing. We all know ourselves better than anyone else so we're more aware of our own flaws/shortcomings so it's harderto feel 100% confident in our own abilities. It's easier to just live vicariously through someone else because they can represent positive attributes wewish we had.

I try to do the opposite of this, and be my own full-on critique, and #1 fan.
No one else in the world is gonna pride you unless you (who knows the ups and downs)
give your self the motivation and insight. I'm a idol in my own eyes.
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Some people are different and see the best in everyone else, and catches the glory
in others success. Makes it easier for them to imagine the possibilities. Others have
no problem applying it to themselves. While were dropping our jaw for others,
were forgetting about the one person we still need to root for.

Homie in the mirror.

Back
Top Bottom