why is it such a sin to say anyone will be better than Michael Jordan?

^ ska, still rocking the Lost sig? :pimp:

So the one thing to keep in mind... Ultimately, this debate has nothing to do with stats or anything. What it boils down to is this. For a decade, every single time Michael Jordan stepped on to the court, you felt his team would win. And he would be leading the charge. You knew he would dominate. Even though every opponent tried their best to stop him, you knew Jordan would still excel.

It's that perception and the fact that Jordan delivered every time that sets him apart.

Yes, there are times when Kobe gets the ball with that look in his eyes with 2 minutes left that I feel the same way about him. That's why I respect him and why I think he has something special. And, for that one game against Boston in the playoffs last year (game 6?), Lebron did the same thing.

When someone has that effect every minute of every game though? Then they can be called the best ever.

(And of course I'm ignoring the time the Bulls lost during MJ's comeback season. One of the few times he wasn't invincible. So there is room for someone to be better.)

Last edited:
Because it's not the case. When someone come along who is better than Jordan, we will know it. That person won't be "the next Michael Jordan." He won't be constantly compared to and evaluated against Jordan for his entire career..
Uhm, if it happens within the next 20 years why wouldn't the ultimate hype machine (media) constantly compare that person to Jordan? You are trippin if you think that wouldn't happen.
You're right. That was wishful thinking on my part.

Times have changed. ESPN now thrives off this because they know a discussion about the "best ever" will get an audience.

But this phenomenon seems to be inflated with respect to Jordan. If you look at other sports and athletes, you don't see this kind of constant comparison. Adrian Peterson is not constantly compared to Emmitt or Barry. Megatron is not constantly compared to Rice. Manning was rarely compared to Marino. And so on.

Last edited:
I disagree. Every notable WR is compared to Jerry Rice at some point.

Every top notch QB is compared to Joe Montana at some point. (Rogers, Brady, Manning).

Manning was ALWAYS compared to Marino. What are you talking about? All stats and no rings. (Before he won his ring).

Brady is always compared to Montana.

Maybe we are listening to different analysts or something. :lol:

So I can't agree with that. The reason RB's aren't constantly compared to "the best RB ever" is because there isn't a clear cut best RB of all time.

Last edited:
But are they constantly compared? I remember at Kobe's first All-Star game, as a rookie, the announcers spent 10 minutes comparing him to MJ. And, almost 20 years later, the comparisons have not relented.

edit: lol, fine, I do have some selective memory on this.

Last edited:
But are they constantly compared? I remember at Kobe's first All-Star game, as a rookie, the announcers spent 10 minutes comparing him to MJ. And, almost 20 years later, the comparisons have not relented.

edit: lol, fine, I do have some selective memory on this.
Man Joe Montana's name has been brought up in just about every Tom Brady televised game within the last 8 years.

Hell, John Elway's name was probably brought up during every Peyton game this year.

People are ALWAYS compared to people before them man. It happens.

:lol: @ cats taking two blocks in an all star game serious...

I'll say this again... NOBODY mentions the VERY Next play... bron straight BULLIED his way to the rack and got fouled by Kobe....

Had him looking like he was 3 Inches taller and 40 lbs heavier ...

And bron just dropped 32 on tge Lakers just one week ago.

In a game that counted.

Stop it.

Na the undisputed best player in the world should never look like that much of a *****. Dude should be using his size every play not only against guards. Dude picks and chooses his battles wisely.

:lol: @ cats taking two blocks in an all star game serious...

I'll say this again... NOBODY mentions the VERY Next play... bron straight BULLIED his way to the rack and got fouled by Kobe....

Had him looking like he was 3 Inches taller and 40 lbs heavier ...

And bron just dropped 32 on tge Lakers just one week ago.

In a game that counted.

Stop it.

If its not serious, why do Lebron Stans keep getting butthurt over it?

It happened, it was a great fun moment for the Kobe supporters but that's it

Last edited:
Big Wade fan, but I don't know how you cats are saying he's better than Pippen. At the very least they are neck and neck, both extraordinary talents on both ends of the floor.

[quote name="permatez"]Lebron and kobe are modern day goats!![/quote]Think about that for a sec.

Modern day... all time... modern day... all time...

If its not serious, why do Lebron Stans keep getting butthurt over it?

It happened, it was a great fun moment for the Kobe supporters but that's it

From what I read in that thread, it's the fact that Kobe fans acted like Kobe just won a ring over lebron or something. I mean I get that it's probably the only shining moment Kobe fans will get this season when talking Lebron Vs Kobe, but y'all made it out to be bigger than it really was.

To the topic, it's not a sin to say someone will be better than Jordan, but we damn sure ain't seen it yet.

What we saw yesterday was how lebron would play if he didn't get all of the absolute terrible calls and bail outs from the refs that he does on a regular basis

flustered and lost

Truth my ***. If Jordan was such a winner then what happened his first 7, 8 years in the league? He played 13 plus seasons and only won 6 times. What happened those other 7 seasons then?

Did Jordan ever quit on his team?

Last edited:
Did Jordan ever quit on his team?

Not trusting your team mates and doing "IT" by yourself is not quitting on your team?

So let me get this straight. When Jordan lost in the NBA he was not ever at fault. He was always the perfect team mate and did everything he had to do to win... Hopefully y'all realize how crazy that sounds. Jordan was not perfect. He had faults and got better through adversity.

Sooooo.... according to some you:
Jordan never had to learn to become a better player.
Jordan never had issues trusting his teammates.
Jordan never had to learn to pass the ball more.
Jordan never went through growing pains as a player.
Jordan was the perfect ball player from birth.

In the NBA, losing is losing. Jordan had to learn to win the same way LeBron did. Now that LeBron has won a Championship, lets see where his career goes.

So many people already said so many valid points already.

Resumes just don't add up, consistency of being clutch, post season dominance, being the for your team, never losing in the NBA Finals and being so dominate on both ends of the floor.

Never losing in the finals huh? With that logic Drew Brees> Brady and P. Manning. Never understood that argument. How many of yall thought that 06-07 Cavs was going to beat the Spurs? Outside of Cleveland nobody gave that team a legitimate shot at beating the Spurs. To me, taking that team to the finals was more adds to his legacy. Hell Kobe played with Caron Butler and Lamar Odom and couldn't make a deep playoff run. Name me one elite player that won a title when his second best player was equaled to Larry Hughes? Damon Jones was on that team and played in China a year or so later. Sasha Pavlovic got traded to Minnesota I believe and couldn't get off the bench.

Last edited:
This article was outstanding. The average person would probably hate the person MJ has turned into, but this gave me a new found respect to the person he is.

"I study him," he says.

When LeBron goes right, he usually drives; when he goes left, he usually shoots a jumper. It has to do with his mechanics and how he loads the ball for release. "So if I have to guard him," Jordan says, "I'm gonna push him left so nine times out of 10, he's gonna shoot a jump shot. If he goes right, he's going to the hole and I can't stop him. So I ain't letting him go right."

That quote right there is why Lebron could never hold his jock straps. He might be a physical work of art, but his body can't beat that mind. Ironically, that mind has been a failure when it comes to operating a basketball team. It's funny how the all time greats have flaws and demons deep rooted in them,but manage to still be the GOAT. (Jordan, Whitney, MJ, etc)
Man PLEASE. Johan Petro could repeat those same words because his team's advanced scout has a Synergy Account. Jordan didn't recite anything insightful.

And he couldn't stop LeBron from going ANYWHERE. Stop it.

And THAT is why LeBron can't hold his jock? As if LeBron can't recite another player's tendencies?

Again, STOP

Back
Top Bottom