Why Is Smoking Cigs Seemingly Ingrained In Asian-American Culture?

At least from an outsiders perspective? No offense meant but this is fairly evident to me. I've never been to Asia but from what I understand eastern Asian countries consume a lot of cigerettes as well.

Equally intriguing to me is the social dynamic behind it.

What do yall think? Can anbody previde insight? Am I wrong in this generilalization?

Don't know either.

I work in Africa and more than half of the male chinese population smokes.
Arabs also.

Never peeped this stateside tho.

last girl i messed with was asian she smoked her family smoked.............they all smoke

it's more accepted i guess.

i would say more than half of korean males smoke and probably a lot of korean women too..

The men in top positions usually smoke, so if a CEO smokes and he invites you (say you're one of his workers) to dinner and after the dinner cigs are passed around and yeah...

Never noticed...

I'll be the first to even up the stereotypes tho... ALL non-corporate black people under the age of 30 have or currently smoke weed.

Belmont_canadian_version_milds_s_20_b_canada.jpg

Originally Posted by enlightendespot

Arabs also.

they are practically a chimney. Saudi's, Egyptians and so on. I think it is because of the hookah, it pretty much go hand in hand.

Yea I notice this here at my school. In front of one of the student dorms, there is always some asian just hanging and smoking... I'm pretty sure they are international students from East Asian countries. Not many people here smoke though but I see a lot of Asians. I mean I fire up the hookah a couple times a week and smoke a cig every now and then at a party... I'm Indian though.

This isn't asian americans, this seems to be more asians living in asia. I mean, shaolin monks smoke. A lot of Korean bboys smoke. A lot of older, asian males smoke. Idk why though

Originally Posted by BOTTOM74BOTTOM

Never noticed...

I'll be the first to even up the stereotypes tho... ALL non-corporate black people under the age of 30 have or currently smoke weed.
:dap:

I really don't think Asian-Americans smoke more than any other group of hyphenated Americans. I actually think they smoke less compared to any other group here in the USA.

Everywhere in the world though there isn't quite the stigma/backlash against smoking that there is in this country so people smoke a lot more.

I go to Duke, where there is substantial Asian-American population. Ostensibly every non-nerd type Asian person lights cigs like its 1950. I'm not one to buy into stereotypes, but purely speaking from observation, this one seems pretty legitimate.

This is so true.  Being a Korean-American my grandfather, father, sister and me all smoked one time in our lives.  None of us smoke anymore though.  Its just a true stereotype.

I can't stand this. They'll tell me weed is bad meanwhile they're drinking soju and smoking a cigerette.

Back
Top Bottom