Why is the NBA turning so soft?

I was watching the 1987-1988 finals today, Lakers vs Celtics, and Lakers vs Pistons, these dudes straight hammered each other and didnt get any calls. Itlooked so much more exciting then the games we have today, how can we bring it back to that?? Was hand checking still legal then, i really have no idea, justplayers today need to stop being such pussys, they didnt even have ankle supporting shoes back then..

the problem is super star calls, even though im a huge kobe fan, in order to bring the league back to where it was even he would have to take a cut in calls,unless the league as a whole cuts down on all calls especially "superstar calls," the league will remain soft although there still exist a lot ofnoncalls - the ones which we scream at our tv for

Its almost llike they're catering to the players TOO much. This is BEYOND annoying tho; it ruins the flow and intensity of the game. I understand notallowing hacking and clobbering players and such, but allowing players to get away with BLATANT flops and calling Downy soft fouls is despicable. IMO, floppingis dishonorable and disrespectful to the game, and it's beyond me why officials fall for it game after game. it's like they get commisioned for blowingtheir whistles, or have some type of quota.

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

the problem is super star calls, even though im a huge kobe fan, in order to bring the league back to where it was even he would have to take a cut in calls, unless the league as a whole cuts down on all calls especially "superstar calls," the league will remain soft although there still exist a lot of noncalls - the ones which we scream at our tv for
I hope your kidding.

MJ was like LBJ/Kobe's superstar calls x 100 especially towards the end of his career.
Was the NBA soft back then?... No.

I blame free agency

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Did you guys hear?

JFK was apparently assassinated today

laugh.gif
nice attempt but nope

Originally Posted by SoHi 23

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

the problem is super star calls, even though im a huge kobe fan, in order to bring the league back to where it was even he would have to take a cut in calls, unless the league as a whole cuts down on all calls especially "superstar calls," the league will remain soft although there still exist a lot of noncalls - the ones which we scream at our tv for
I hope your kidding.

MJ was like LBJ/Kobe's superstar calls x 100 especially towards the end of his career.
Was the NBA soft back then?... No.

I blame free agency

so its normal for people like dwyane wade to get 15-20 freethrows a game on a weekly basis? the amount of superstar calls has elevated in the last decadeand the league decided to increase the amount of calls for non-superstars to balance it out

what im saying is that cheap calls for superstars are going to continue to hurt the league, this whole notion of "he should get that call because hes astar" hurts the league, in order to fix it theyre going to have to start granting superstars less calls so that nonsuperstars also get less calls

and i hope ur kidding in comparing all the fouls that mj received to all the fouls that lbj receives, a whole lot of people on this board will tell u thatblowing on lbj is a foul

Yeah it's way too soft nowadays. Playoffs thsi year have been boring at times due to it turning into a free throw contest. Barely touch another dude andyou get a foul called.

Superstar calls?? What would you say happened during that Turiaf Price incident? Stuff like that was happening every play down the court in the older games butno one got ejected, and last time i checked turiaf and price werent superstars

Originally Posted by PersianBalla

Superstar calls?? What would you say happened during that Turiaf Price incident? Stuff like that was happening every play down the court in the older games but no one got ejected, and last time i checked turiaf and price werent superstars

im not saying that superstar calls are the entire reason that the league is soft, im saying that the answer to correcting the problem starts there,superstars receive more ticky tack fouls than any other players

if refs were to allow some tough defense on super stars rather than immediately calling fouls, that would set the tone for the league and let other players(non superstars) know that if refs are going to allow some contact on superstars, small things like tripping over defenders isnt gonna cut it as fouls

That is the one I was looking for; it about sums up the cliff dive the NBA took. Stern is running this league into the ground; he really thinks in hishead he created the NBA the way it is. Got news for you Stern-O, you got lucky some guy named MJ played during your watch. As you can tell, I think Stern isa joke.

im telling you ... the reason why its getting soft... right here
EUROPEANS!!! look at manu, scola, Z, king of flop VLADE, the machine...
any EUROPEAN (except dirk (idk about Tony parker))
they all flop..

EUROPEANS ARE THE KEY FOR THE NBA GETTING SOOOO SOFT...

Originally Posted by 8tothe24

That is the one I was looking for; it about sums up the cliff dive the NBA took. Stern is running this league into the ground; he really thinks in his head he created the NBA the way it is. Got news for you Stern-O, you got lucky some guy named MJ played during your watch. As you can tell, I think Stern is a joke.
ya Magic, MJ, & Bird were all a huge part of the league success in the 80s & 90s.. and I wouldn't put all of the blame on Stern knowingthere is a league committee & Board of Governor that makes decisions, but they have pretty much turned the NBA into a non contact sport with aquasi-perimeter zone that's supposed to make up for it.

Originally Posted by supahoopa

they all flop..

Manu and Scola aren't European
eyes.gif
. My goodness, how many times do we see this same mistake being made?!

But I'd say it's Stern's fault. There is no consistency in the league. I'll reference a post earlier in this thread about superstar calls.The amount of free throws shot per game is appalling. Too many ticky tack fouls, phantom fouls, and didn't have to be called fouls. Basketball isn't anon-contact sport, but apparently under Stern, that's what it has become.

they all flop..

Yeah..
eyes.gif
�Europeans are the only ones who flop. How about this vid of anAmerican flopping against a European:

The guys who flop are just doing whatever it takes to win. It's David Stern's fault for not introducing tougher measures against those who flop. It allstarted with him allowing more offense-friendly rules while removing some of the physical aspects from defense in the early 00s.

SMH at those who are putting the blame on Euros/foreigners.

Wednesday Aug 30, 2006

Team USA adjusts to physical play in FIBA world championships

SAITAMA, Japan (AP) -Early in the FIBA world championships, U.S. captain Carmelo Anthony let his younger teammates in on a secret of international basketball.

"They were kind of looking for the foul and we were like, 'Look, ain't no fouls over here,''' Anthony said. "'You gotta play through it and if you get a foul, you get a foul. If not then you keep playing.'''

Through its first six games in the tournament, Team USA has had to adjust to the officials as much as the opposition. International basketball is far more physical than the NBA, which has taken strides to streamline the game by cracking down on handchecks and illegal screens. Team USA managing director Jerry Colangelo helped lead the cleanup effort when he owned the Phoenix Suns.

"The NBA game has changed some and in the NBA it's not as physical,'' U.S. captain Dwyane Wade said.

"Physical'' is a nice way of describing FIBA basketball. "Brutal'' might be more accurate.

In Argentina's second-round game against New Zealand, Argentina's Andres Nocioni was felled by a forearm to the throat on a halfcourt pick. Everyone in Saitama Super Arena saw the blow - except for the officials, who allowed play to continue while Nocioni writhed on the floor.

In Spain's quarterfinal victory over Lithuania on Tuesday, Spanish center Pau Gasol shoved an opponent over the baseline as they battled for a rebound. As Gasol snared the ball and laid it into the basket, the Lithuanian bench erupted.

The call? Two points for Spain.

"When you get over here the refs let a lot of things go on both sides, when we get physical and also when our opposing team gets physical,'' Wade said. "We had to get used to it, but now we kind of understand how the game goes a little bit better and we're able to be physical and be able to take some of the hits that come.''

With an average victory margin of 26 points in its first six games, the U.S. hasn't had much reason to gripe about the officials. The statistics indicate that the U.S. has adapted to the different style of play. The Americans have made more free throws (136) than their opponents have attempted (117) and have been called for 44 fewer personal fouls.

Still, players have had to figure out what's a foul and what's not.

Moving screens, for example, are typically allowed here.

"It's just a different kind of physical,'' center Brad Miller said. "There are certain things that are automatic fouls here that aren't in the NBA and vice versa. Here you can push off almost at any given time, create space for your shot, where in the NBA you can't do that. You can handcheck and face guard internationally, you can't back home. Some of what is allowed here is just a 180 (degree difference) from the NBA.''

The Americans say they can take the physical style, even if it hurts at times. After Team USA worked out in Tokyo this week, trainers packed captain LeBron James in so much ice that he resembled one of the local fish delicacies.

Asked if he was tired of being banged on, James replied, "It don't matter. I played football my whole life. Basketball contact is nothing compared to football. I rarely feel it, to tell you the truth.''

The U.S.' biggest adjustment has been to the officials. Unlike in the NBA, where players know what to expect from each official, it's difficult to predict how a FIBA crew will call a game.

"There's always physical play,'' Kirk Hinrich said. "But coming into each game, you just don't know what's going to happen. It's not like each game gets called a certain way the whole game. The first quarter they can just be calling crazy stuff, and the second quarter they can be calling nothing.

"It is a lot more physical and they get away with a lot more stuff,'' Hinrich said. "It's definitely a wilder game. That's one of the challenges we face is just adjusting to how the game's going.''

Man Euros are definately not to blame for the softness in the league. Watch a Euroleague game on NBAtv one time and dudes be getting undercut with no foulscalled

But I blame no1 in particular, but I just think the front office wants to protect its investment (players) more by callin more fouls so things won't getout of hand and some1 gets injured

And why do people always talk about Dwade gettin to the line 15 times a game? I don't even think he leads the league in Ft per game.

Back
Top Bottom