Why NYC radio got Future in his feelings ? Vol. Flex shot's

Future Slams Funkmaster Flex Over Radio

Future took to Twitter yesterday (November 4) to call out Funkmaster Flex for his comments about what music radio stations should play.

"Funk master flex thanks for the extra motivation," Future writes in a series of posts, "u gone play intown music 1st over outtatown music Dropping so much heat u gone have to play my sh*t 1st..that's wat I'm going for #MONSTER2 No disrespect jus kno #MONSTER2"

HotNewHipHop says that Funkmaster Flex made comments that radio deejays should play music for the region of the station before supporting outside acts. Since Flex's station, Hot 97, is based in New York, he would then play music from New York rapper's before playing songs from Future, who is from Atlanta.

Not for nothing this is an interesting topic. This dude has the damn NERVE to chastise Flex for saying that himself and other NEW YORK DJ's need to play more NYC records FIRST before they get into stuff from other regions. Now considering the fact that NOWHERE else plays NYC music at all and Flex is LEGENDARY (albeit supreme cornball) in this game he is first and foremost a NYC Disc Jockey working for the #1 radio station based in NEW YORK. I don't understand why Future is in his feels about this or why he thinks he has enough clout to come at Flex for saying that homegrown artist deserve more support cause honestly that's what happening everywhere else. All this shows to me is the ignorance and insecurities alot of southern rappers still have against New York. The south has been "running the rap game" for at least a decade now and its just ironic how their biggest artist has a issue with a NYC DJ who works for a NYC station acknowledging that NYC artist's need to be supported by THEM more. Does Future have a problem with Atlanta DJ's supporting their homegrown talent ? I think not. Why would a rap megastar like Future have a issue with Flex wanting to support NYC artists ?

I don't see why Future responded to that unless there's more to what Flex said. NY rappers are hitting Future to jump on their records so his music is gonna get played anyway. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah I don't get why future is mad here.

Also, I was in NYC when DS2 dropped and I heard that **** ******* everywhere. Dudes on the train playing it out loud, every damn car that drove past. Dudes blasting it posted up in front of their building.

It's like I might as well had been in Atlanta that weekend.

Nah that's all Flex said basically. What is he scared of ? Radio stations around the country actually giving precedent and support to their local rap artist who has a buzz going for themselves ? Of course he is. Whats funny is that hes talking like he prime Jay, Em, or 50. fu*k outta here he damn sure can't rap on a technical level at all and all your stuff sounds exactly the same. Thots don't give a damn about what artist they shake their *** to and theirs a million other ****** lined up right behind Future that could make the same type of music he makes.

Yeah I don't get why future is mad here.

Also, I was in NYC when DS2 dropped and I heard that **** ******* everywhere. Dudes on the train playing it out loud, every damn car that drove past. Dudes blasting it posted up in front of their building.

It's like I might as well had been in Atlanta that weekend.

You ain't never lie. Is this dude afraid of fans finding somebody else and start bumping their **** instead ?

People wanna hear what's hot not what's local. What he gonna do? Play Milly rock all day? Play uncle Murda feat future? Thought NY was over that jealous ****. Future shouldn't even respond tho cuz once monster 2 drop they will be forced to play more future music.

Nah that's all Flex said basically. What is he scared of ? Radio stations around the country actually giving precedent and support to their local rap artist who has a buzz going for themselves ? Of course he is. Whats funny is that hes talking like he prime Jay, Em, or 50. fu*k outta here he damn sure can't rap on a technical level at all and all your stuff sounds exactly the same. Thots don't give a damn about what artist they shake their *** to and theirs a million other ****** lined up right behind Future that could make the same type of music he makes.

I don't think Future is the one in his feelings :lol:

People wanna hear what's hot not what's local. What he gonna do? Play Milly rock all day? Play uncle Murda feat future? Thought NY was over that jealous ****. Future shouldn't even respond tho cuz once monster 2 drop they will be forced to play more future music.

So from what Flex said you equate that to NY being jealous ? Not sure if comprehension fail or just comprehension bias. Also your not from NY so you honestly don't know about the underground scene is well as i do and what people are actually listening to. Since you brought up Milly rock I honestly rather listen to 2 Milly, Abillyon, Badass, Dave east, etc. rather than listen to the same 5-10 songs ALL DAY LONG and I know for a fact you would rather hear payroll giovanni, quis, iceberg vezzo, etc. rather than listen to the same damn future and DRAKE **** ALL DAY LONG

Last edited:
Nah I'd rather not hear any of them ****** honestly. After clarity 2 ICEWEAR vezzo been making the same song for 2 years, payroll hit his ceiling, quiz never appealed to me and u know how I feel about drake. So I'd rather hear future all day, but then again I don't listen to the radio.

Dude is in his feelings because he essentially said he's going to keep hitting ****** in the head with bangers to the point that the washed up dj's "trying to break artists from their region" have to play his stuff? Why... Because he addressed Flex specifically? :lol:

Stop it.

Last edited:
Nah I'd rather not hear any of them ****** honestly. After clarity 2 ICEWEAR vezzo been making the same song for 2 years, payroll hit his ceiling, quiz never appealed to me and u know how I feel about drake. So I'd rather hear future all day, but then again I don't listen to the radio.

I feel u. Let me keep it all the funky with you. We both feel the same way about DRAKE I really don't have a big issue with future persay but i don't feel like this n is good enough to be DOMINATING the radio as much as he does and has the nerve to complain about DJ's feeling like local acts should be more of a presence. I remember going to atl to visit my mom's and the **** they played on 107.9 was totally different from what was being played on hot 97. Being in a different part of the country regardless how big Jay, 50, Eminem and to a lesser extent rocafella, dipset, g-unit was ATL radio was still different than NY radio. Of course the big artist still get played but that local ATL and NYC flavor was still prevalent on the radio also, regardless of who or what region was holding the crown in rap. I'm honestly just tired of the same ol **** everywhere and the lack of diversity. None of these ****** is good enough to dominate every radio staion everywhere all over the country. Prime Jay, 50, Nas, Em, Jeezy, Gucci, and TI didn't even do that ****

Last edited:
Dude is in his feelings because he essentially said he's going to keep hitting ****** in the head with bangers to the point that they have to play his stuff? Why... Because he addressed Flex specifically? :lol:

Stop it.

Look at it whatever way you want to look at it playa. If a DJ in Wisconsin said that he wouldn't give two damns. Oh buut but its a problem when Flex says we need to support homegrown. Ain't nobody worried about future making the same damn 20 songs ALL over again.

Everyone knows this "play music from your own region" is just code for "bring New York back". So you're telling me you're going to put listeners through struggle music instead of giving them what's actually hot in the streets? Jesus, the **** is pathetic at this point. :lol:

I'm from NY, so I'm speaking objectively as possible. It pains me to see **** like this.

Fam you're complaining about lack of diversity, yet you see to be advocating for your radio DJs to inclusively and primarily play artists from your own region...

Stop it.

Radio stations aren't the place for diversity anymore. That's what all these streaming services and the Internet are for. Make a playlist and get and auxiliary cord. Don't defend the bs being perpetuated by funk master fossil. Deep down you know it sounds like he's hating and on yet another "bring NY back" campaign.

Last edited:
Everyone knows this "play music from your own region" is just code for "bring New York back". So you're telling me you're going to put listeners through struggle music instead of giving them what's actually hot in the streets? Jesus, the **** is pathetic at this point. :lol:

I'm from NY, so I'm speaking objectively as possible. It pains me to see **** like this.

Man, I don't know what mainstream radio stations your listening to but that **** is the definition of STRUGGLE. Mixing in some more local artist who have a buzz will do nothing but push the culture forward and force more diversity into the music and create originality. To use Detroit as an example DBC literally were doing their own type of music and dropped classic **** that nobody outside of Detroit heard because local radio didn't push them enough to force them into mainstream. We Run The City vol. 4 is a CLASSIC mixtape that sounded like nothing else in the mainstream which nobody heard and had no push because everybody is listening to the same ****. Like $tacy $tacy said they reached their peak before actually making it to "mainstream" largely in part of not getting a major push from their local radio stations. Rap is all ****** up nowadays gone are the days or region specific sounds and different regions doing and talking different ****.

Last edited:
Fam you're complaining about lack of diversity, yet you see to be advocating for your radio DJs to inclusively and primarily play artists from your own region...

Stop it.

Radio stations aren't the place for diversity anymore. That's what all these streaming services and the Internet are for. Make a playlist and get and auxiliary cord. Don't defend the bs being perpetuated by funk master fossil. Deep down you know it sounds like he's hating and on yet another "bring NY back" campaign.

Your doing too much. Making assumptions, insinuating imaginary points, etc. Not once have I mentioned NYC stations or any local stations to exclusively play their artist or mentioned anything about bringing NY "back". Well just agree to disagree and call it a dub

I can agree with you to an extent fam. Adding some local artists would definitely be beneficial. Not only to their respective regions, but to the culture as well. I feel you on that, and can't discredit that point.

Where I disagree with you, or Flex rather, is the idea of deliberately giving the good music coming from other places a second row seat. Of its good music, it's good music and you should play it because that's what the people want to hear. Flex is taking this totalitarian approach to hosting radio. It's essentially saying "the people have to listen to xyz artist because they represent our area and those other guys can get plays wherever else". That's corny. Especially since no one is checking for Flex to break new artists. The bombs don't mean anything in 2015.

I can agree with you to an extent fam. Adding some local artists would definitely be beneficial. Not only to their respective regions, but to the culture as well. I feel you on that, and can't discredit that point.

Where I disagree with you, or Flex rather, is the idea of deliberately giving the good music coming from other places a second row seat. Of its good music, it's good music and you should play it because that's what the people want to hear. Flex is taking this totalitarian approach to hosting radio. It's essentially saying "the people have to listen to xyz artist because they represent our area and those other guys can get plays wherever else". That's corny. Especially since no one is checking for Flex to break new artists. The bombs don't mean anything in 2015.

I see your point. Where it's fishy is what is "great music" ? You might think Future is raps jimmy Hendrix and i might think he's wild overrated and only like to hear his stuff when I'm at sin city or I'm chilling with females outside of a couple songs. I can't stand DRAKE at all so of course I would feel more strongly or indifferent about the two main artist DOMINATING mainstream music right now. I remember when 50 was the biggest thing in music when I was down south they played him but still played their local underground artist that was making noise in the city and I thought that **** was cool as hell. I just miss that time DJs actually DJed and broke new records that were hot and needed to be heard. A DJs job in 2015 is to play as much DRAKE,fetty, and future all day regardless of where their from

Last edited:
Honestly...DJs don't have the power to break new artists anymore. Not in New York at least.

The world isn't going to feel someone because flex told them to anymore.

Last edited:
A DJs job in 2015 is to play as much DRAKE,fetty, and future all day regardless of where their from

And that's why people like Flex come off as hating. They've been playing what's "hot" for all these years, and now that what's hot is continually music from outside of the tri-state area, they want to make it a point to condemn other artists while they try to put their own back on a pillar. But the fax is that no one relies on radio DJs to break artists. The Internet is too big of a platform and people like Fossil are becoming increasingly irrelevant. The days are gone where people had to listen to the radio ALLLLL day with a casset ready to hit record when they finally heard their favorite song. I remember doing that for Wild Out by the Lox, In Da Club (which wasn't too difficult because Flex ran that **** back like 6 times that night :lol:). Now that people have access to literally any track they want literally at any time they want, they not gonna be checking for radio like that. Flex doesn't get to play what's hot and then try to backpedal because what's hot isn't the stuff he prefers... Especially not when he's been collecting a check off of it for this long. If that's the case, do the world a favor and retire already. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom