Why take off your hat? After all these years, I've never discussed this on here

^ Thanks.
smile.gif
I knew it had to have roots from that era.

But even in that explanation, 'LIFTING the hat is a sign of mutual confidence and respect.'

So who's the idiot that decided to just go ahead and keep his hat off instead of just lifting it and putting it back on?
laugh.gif
I need to step my time machine game up so I can go meet that guy and tell him 'Alright, they saw you lift your hat, and I've already lifted mine. Sooooo... back on our heads they go! No, no, no... don't carry it, sir. Let's just... yep... right back on the ol' cabeza."
laugh.gif

^ Thanks.
smile.gif
I knew it had to have roots from that era.

But even in that explanation, 'LIFTING the hat is a sign of mutual confidence and respect.'

So who's the idiot that decided to just go ahead and keep his hat off instead of just lifting it and putting it back on?
laugh.gif
I need to step my time machine game up so I can go meet that guy and tell him 'Alright, they saw you lift your hat, and I've already lifted mine. Sooooo... back on our heads they go! No, no, no... don't carry it, sir. Let's just... yep... right back on the ol' cabeza."
laugh.gif

In the military, we take our hats when we eat in the cafeteria. When we had casualties of war, we had sooo many that we had to put bodies there in the freezer and dinner tables. Taking off your hat is a sign to signify those men and women who died during battle for our country.

In the military, we take our hats when we eat in the cafeteria. When we had casualties of war, we had sooo many that we had to put bodies there in the freezer and dinner tables. Taking off your hat is a sign to signify those men and women who died during battle for our country.

^ I'm gad you brought that up (the military), because I have heard that one before, that it's a show of respect towards any military people in the room.

Alright, so say you and me are in Applebee's and we don't know each other. I walk in, and of course I'm unaware of any military folks in the room. Sitting across the room, not knowing me, but seeing me leave my hat on, how are you disrespected? Are you sitting there like 'This ignorant sob'? And on the flipside, how is it respectful to you for me to remove it?

^ I'm gad you brought that up (the military), because I have heard that one before, that it's a show of respect towards any military people in the room.

Alright, so say you and me are in Applebee's and we don't know each other. I walk in, and of course I'm unaware of any military folks in the room. Sitting across the room, not knowing me, but seeing me leave my hat on, how are you disrespected? Are you sitting there like 'This ignorant sob'? And on the flipside, how is it respectful to you for me to remove it?

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

If we are in a casual setting, there's nothing saying you need to take off your hat. I am not disrespected. When they say rise and please remove your hats, it would be nice of you to remove your hat. But, it is your choice, and many people fought for you to have the right to choose if you take off your hat or not.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

If we are in a casual setting, there's nothing saying you need to take off your hat. I am not disrespected. When they say rise and please remove your hats, it would be nice of you to remove your hat. But, it is your choice, and many people fought for you to have the right to choose if you take off your hat or not.

But see, on the point about 'Many people have fought for that right', isn't it taking that right away when people give you hell for not doing what they want? Especially when those people have a military background?

"Listen, I fought hard for you to have the right to wear that hat in this courtroom. The least you could do is take it off to show me respect."

Doesn't that... essentially... give me the right then take it right back? If I have the right to wear it, because you fought for that right, then why get mad when I choose to exercise that right and leave my hat on? I don't get that.

If you're sitting right next to me in a formal setting... courtroom, for example... how would you fel disrespected by me leaving my hat on? What would you be thinking?

Definitely curious.
happy.gif
Not trying to be a smartass or anything.

But see, on the point about 'Many people have fought for that right', isn't it taking that right away when people give you hell for not doing what they want? Especially when those people have a military background?

"Listen, I fought hard for you to have the right to wear that hat in this courtroom. The least you could do is take it off to show me respect."

Doesn't that... essentially... give me the right then take it right back? If I have the right to wear it, because you fought for that right, then why get mad when I choose to exercise that right and leave my hat on? I don't get that.

If you're sitting right next to me in a formal setting... courtroom, for example... how would you fel disrespected by me leaving my hat on? What would you be thinking?

Definitely curious.
happy.gif
Not trying to be a smartass or anything.

Look what I wrote. They fought so you have the choice and the freedom to take off you hat or not.

Look what I wrote. They fought so you have the choice and the freedom to take off you hat or not.

OP does removing shoes when you enter the house have to do with race or religion? Many of my west eastern asian friends have people remove their shoes once they enter the premisses.

OP does removing shoes when you enter the house have to do with race or religion? Many of my west eastern asian friends have people remove their shoes once they enter the premisses.

Formal settings might actually require you to take off your hat. Some people are just mad that you don't respect those people who died. I personally don't care if you keep it off of not. Some people have seen hard times in the military with lost ones. They might be mad because of that.

Formal settings might actually require you to take off your hat. Some people are just mad that you don't respect those people who died. I personally don't care if you keep it off of not. Some people have seen hard times in the military with lost ones. They might be mad because of that.

Fig Neutonn:
Nah, I'm white. The only thing it has to do with is me not wanting dirt and grass and dog crap and pebbles rubbing all into my carpet.
laugh.gif

Fig Neutonn:
Nah, I'm white. The only thing it has to do with is me not wanting dirt and grass and dog crap and pebbles rubbing all into my carpet.
laugh.gif

Not to thread jack, but do you go in the store (grocery or mall) with your hood on?

Heard someone talking about how they hated that the other day

Not to thread jack, but do you go in the store (grocery or mall) with your hood on?

Heard someone talking about how they hated that the other day

^ That's not off topic/thread jacking at all.

But sometimes, yes, I keep my hood on once I get inside my destination.

Same reasons already discussed.

^ That's not off topic/thread jacking at all.

But sometimes, yes, I keep my hood on once I get inside my destination.

Same reasons already discussed.

Only traditionalists seem to be superficial about things that don't matter. Wearing a hat anytime I feel shouldn't revoke my citizen card. I even wear my hoody in the house when Im home and my mom gets all bent outta shape. Pisses me off honestly as to how it anyone else can feel offended.

Back
Top Bottom