Why the best Philly Cheese Steaks, NOT from Philly? Vol. Chicago takes another W

Originally Posted by OrenthalJames

Originally Posted by Cfranchise26

I'm pretty sure if u wanna go with facts  Genos have the best cheesesteak thats known.
So No!!! chicago does not have the best cheesesteak.
Ya'll dont have the best pizza, NY holds that crown
but at least chicago have Oprah and Kanye
fresh Sbarro pizza >> the whole New York tri-state area
We got those in NY too fam
laugh.gif

btw, Genos sucks

- This is basically the Bible, as far as Philadelphia cheesesteaks are concerned.  I'm extreeeeeeemly hard to please when it comes to anything illadelph, yet I almost completely agree with their results, to a tee.

Philadelphia Magazine

6a010536cd7992970c011571523136970c-320wi

[h1]One Man, 50 Cheesesteaks[/h1][h3]In a quest tofind the best, our man devoured more than four dozen cheesesteaks in 34days. The winner? Find it below. The loser? His digestive tract.[/h3]
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/one_man_50_cheesesteaks/

The Cheesesteak Scorecard
We ate 'em, we rate 'em.

5 Clogged Arteries
Cosmi's Deli, 1501 South 8th Street. This year's Best Cheesesteakwinner. Spit out whatever you're chewing and grab one of these, pronto.

4.5 Clogged Arteries
Dakota Pizza Co., 333 East Lancaster Avenue, Wynnewood.
Lee's Hoagie House, 230 North Maple Avenue, Marlton.
Swann Lounge at Four Seasons, 1 Logan Place.
Tony Luke's, 39 East Oregon Avenue.

4 Clogged Arteries
Chick's, 906 Township Lane, Cherry Hill.
Chubby's, 5826 Henry Avenue.
Nardi's Deli, 201 Haddonfield-Berlin Road, West Berlin.
Pie in the Sky, 102 East Lancaster Avenue, Wayne.

3.5 Clogged Arteries
Dolce Carini, 1929 Chestnut Street.
Dalessandro's, 600 Wendover Avenue.
Fresh Works, 407 Baltimore Pike, Morton.
Giordanos, 633 East Cypress Street, Kennett Square.
Jim's Steaks, 400 South Street.
John's Roast Pork, Weccacoe and Snyder avenues.
The Peppermill, 813 North Chester Road, West Chester.

3 Clogged Arteries
%$!$+'s Steaks, 6030 Torresdale Avenue.
Italian Kitchen, 521 East Baltimore Pike, Lansdowne.
Italian Village, 821 West Lancaster Avenue, Downingtown.
Lazaro's, 1743 South Street.
Max's Steaks, 3653 Germantown Avenue.
Meglio, 25 Swamp Road, Newtown.
Mama's, 426 Belmont Avenue, Bala Cynwyd.
The Originals Italian Pizzeria, 833 West Trenton Avenue, Morrisville.
Rick's Philly Steaks, Reading Terminal Market, 12th and Arch streets.
Sonny's, 228 Market Street.

2.5 Clogged Arteries
Columbia Park Cafe, Citizens Bank Park.
Garrett Hill, 910 Conestoga Road, Rosemont.
Geno's Steaks, 1219 South 9th Street.
Jim & Tim's, lunch truck at 19th and Market streets.
LaSpada's, 1002 MacDade Boulevard, Milmont Park.
Lou's, 414 East Main Street, Norristown.
Old Towne, 2301 Grays Ferry Avenue.
Slack's Hoagie Shack, 41 Snyder Avenue.
White House Sub Shop, 2301 Arctic Avenue, Atlantic City.

2 Clogged Arteries
Big John's, 1800 Route 70 East, Cherry Hill.
Leo's, 1403 Chester Pike, Folcroft.
Pat's King of Steaks, 1237 East Passyunk Avenue.
Sack O' Subs, 926 Asbury Avenue, Ocean City.
Smith & Wollensky, 210 West Rittenhouse Square
Steve's Prince of Steaks, 7200 Bustleton Avenue
Tony Jr.'s, 118 South 18th Street.
Wurst House, 4301 Baltimore Avenue

1.5 Clogged Arteries
Abner's, 3813 Chestnut Street.
Gianna's Grille, 507 South 6th Street.
Real Pizza, 18 West Avenue, Wayne.
Wachovia Center, lower concourse.

1 Clogged Artery
Crossroads, 1443 Main Street, Hellertown.

.5 Clogged Artery
Philly Steak and Hoagie Co., Philadelphia International Airport.

0 Clogged Arteries
Cobblestone Grill of Elfreth's Alley, Citizens Bank Park.

Originally Posted by KingofIlladelph

How this is even up for discussion is beyond me.

This is like saying Atlantic City is better than Las Vegas. Just because you go to AC and have fun there doesn't mean it's better than Las Vegas.

And unless you've been to more than one spot in Philly (and I don't mean 2 or 3, i mean several), I don't even get how you can make this argument.

Having traveled and lived in different countries and cities in the United States, I can tell you with no bias that Philadelphia makes better cheesesteaks than anyone else in the world.
Lived in philly for 4 years for college.  Have to say the city just knows how to make cheesesteaks.  A lunch truck cheesesteak is better then most iv had here in md.

Originally Posted by KingofIlladelph

How this is even up for discussion is beyond me.

This is like saying Atlantic City is better than Las Vegas. Just because you go to AC and have fun there doesn't mean it's better than Las Vegas.

And unless you've been to more than one spot in Philly (and I don't mean 2 or 3, i mean several), I don't even get how you can make this argument.

Having traveled and lived in different countries and cities in the United States, I can tell you with no bias that Philadelphia makes better cheesesteaks than anyone else in the world.

You hit it on the dot King. I've been fortunate to have lived and travelled all over and nothing can top a cheesesteak from the 2 1 5.  I like trying all the spots in Philly as each as their own "taste." You have to be able to try other spots as well.

Oh yeh, 4wrestling, provolone/ch whiz, though i prefer provolone plus amoroso rolls = philly cheesesteaks.

Anyone in Philly been to this place? I wish I could try this sandwich (Italian Pulled Pork) because it's original and I've never seen or heard of anyone making a sandwich with broccoli rabe...

http://www.foodinmouth.co...andwiches-in-philly.html

If you're in Philly, you pretty much have to stop at Reading Terminal Market for some food. Really, you could have lunch there during every day of your stay, and eat something different for like two weeks. I was there with Steph and we both thought it was like Chelsea Market on crack. Chelsea Market gets this rep for being a market with good food choices and an interesting food place to check out... but Reading Terminal Market pretty muchs pwns anything we have in Manhattan.

DiNic's is a roast pork and roast beef counter in the middle of Reading Terminal Market. I heard about it from Robyn and Kathy. I settled on the brisket sandwich topped with peppers. The guys slice the stuff a few feet away, and it's fun to watch.

Maybe it was watching them prepare it in front of me, or reading about it prior to coming... but the sandwich was a bit of a letdown. It was quite delicious, and if you randomly happened upon DiNic's, you would probably be quite pleased. But the main thing that I noticed about the sandwich was that it needed salt. The meat was soft and moist and it was just oh so close to being great. Out of my Philly sandwiches at DiNic's, this comes in at number 3.

Steph got the roast pork with spinach. This was also pretty tasty. Soft roast pork with sauteed spinach. The bread soaked up all the juices. Just like the brisket sandwich though, this needed a touch of salt to bring it to life. I don't know if they add much salt during the cooking process, or maybe they just didn't sprinkle any on at the end... who knows. Steph mentioned that while DiNic's is delicious, it still can't compare to Porchetta's pork sandwich. I must agree, since you miss the crunch of cracklings in the DiNic sandwich. Yes, they're different type of sandwiches, and most sandwiches would do well to have crunchy pig skin in them... but it's still a fair comparison. Out of my Philly sandwiches at DiNic's, this comes in at number 2.
On Sunday, I went back to DiNic's because the other sandwich people talked about was the Italian pulled pork. I got this one to-go, and with broccoli rabe on top. This sandwich had some kind of sauce poured on top that really soaked into the bread. Out of all three sandwiches, this one probably had the necessary amount of salt for my tastes. The difference between spinach and broccoli rabe is really a taste preference; I picked broccoli rabe since the day before I tasted their spinach. Out of my Philly sandwiches at DiNic's,this comes in at number 1.

how anyone could put Geno's over Pat's is unfathomable to me. I think we went to Cosmi's deli this past summer, if i'm thinking of the right place, the spot is more of a convinience store than traditional deli. But it wasn't all that good, especially after the 20 minute ride from south back to north philly.

I'm pretty sure if u wanna go with facts  Genos have the best cheesesteak thats known.

but w/e

the state of Cali > New york

-The Juice
laugh.gif

Comparing pizza from franchise stores to that real NY +$+%.
...Ive seen it all.

but w/e

-The Juice
indifferent.gif

any opinions based on your taste buds are now null and void

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

but w/e

-The Juice
indifferent.gif

NY>LA
Get em Dirty.

Originally Posted by dvdjamm5150

Anyone in Philly been to this place? I wish I could try this sandwich (Italian Pulled Pork) because it's original and I've never seen or heard of anyone making a sandwich with broccoli rabe...

- Tommy's Roast Pork sandmich is the truth.  A nice day, Reading Terminal
pimp.gif
, a Tommy Dinic's sandmich and a 4th st. cookie
smh.gif
, right before you hit up the Phillies' home opener.  Might as well grab a real South Philly Italian ice
smokin.gif
and a Philly soft pretzel with the fresh bird droppings near the stadiums
sick.gif
pimp.gif
sick.gif
while it's still hot

DeNic-DeNic.jpg

- Tony Lukes brocoli rabe is nice, too

PH2008030701893.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030701372.html

6a00d834523a1269e200e553780d6c8834-800pi

- John's Roast Pork serves up a mean roast pork sandwich, also

2866820430_2efe5db6be.jpg

mini_13935.jpg

Originally Posted by Diego

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

but w/e

-The Juice
indifferent.gif

NY>LA
Get em Dirty.
roll.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HigherGround

the best philly cheese steak I ever had was in Northern, Va at a mall called springfield, it was totally unexpected.
you must be out your damn mind. that mall is not good for anything. what place are you talking about?
laugh.gif

Steak em cheesesteak are nasty anyways. Real slices of roast beef, grilled with the works is what a real cheesesteak is.

Originally Posted by Methedy24

pimp.gif
smh.gif
, right before you hit up the Phillies' home opener.  Might as well grab a real South Philly Italian ice
smokin.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
sick.gif
while it's still hot

DeNic-DeNic.jpg

PH2008030701893.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/07/AR2008030701372.html

mini_13935.jpg

I have never been to Dinics.  I need to check it out.

John's Roast Pork is the truth for their pork sandwich.  Their cheesesteak gets great reviews, too, but I didn't love it.

Campos is one of my favorite places in the city for cheesesteaks and roast pork.

Steve's in north Philly makes one of the best cheesesteaks in the city.

Jim's on South St is hit or miss depending on the time of day and who's working the grill.

A new place just opened in the Italian Market called Paesanos (they also have another in Northern Liberties).  It may be the best Italian hoagie I've ever had.  They have some other amazing sandwiches as well.

And if you're coming in here saying Pats or Genos, just leave now before you embarrass yourself.

Originally Posted by xcg11pinoYx

Originally Posted by HigherGround

the best philly cheese steak I ever had was in Northern, Va at a mall called springfield, it was totally unexpected.
you must be out your damn mind. that mall is not good for anything. what place are you talking about?
laugh.gif

That's what the hell I'm wondering. This guy must've had GreatSteaks or something in the food court...
sick.gif
  (to be honest, I wouldn't know what they have in their food court or if they even have a food court because I don't go to CRAPPY MALLS!).

And I can't believe someone said Sbarro's... those things are all over the country, and quite franklly, not very good. That's like saying KFC has the best fried chicken. Die. 

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by Methedy24

pimp.gif
smh.gif
smokin.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif
sick.gif
while it's still hot

DeNic-DeNic.jpg

PH2008030701893.jpg

mini_13935.jpg
I have never been to Dinics.  I need to check it out.

John's Roast Pork is the truth for their pork sandwich.  Their cheesesteak gets great reviews, too, but I didn't love it.

Campos is one of my favorite places in the city for cheesesteaks and roast pork.

Steve's in north Philly makes one of the best cheesesteaks in the city.

Jim's on South St is hit or miss depending on the time of day and who's working the grill.

A new place just opened in the Italian Market called Paesanos (they also have another in Northern Liberties).  It may be the best Italian hoagie I've ever had.  They have some other amazing sandwiches as well.

And if you're coming in here saying Pats or Genos, just leave now before you embarrass yourself.

4w, try Moffins in North Philly, make a left from Broad where the Children's Hospital and Temple Hospital, cross, I think before Erie. Been goin
there since the 80s.

Also, Temple's lunch trucks back in the day, 5 bucks for a mushroom cheesesteak, fries, and a soda. those were the days.

Not many good spots that I know of in NYC for cheesesteaks, but I guess thats me,
tongue.gif

Back
Top Bottom