"WHY YOUNG AMERICANS SHOULD WORK OVERSEAS"

I'll be the first to admit, I simply dont have the balls for this fam.

Guns I can do.. Grew up around that.

But missiles? Mortar strikes? Road side bombs? Bruh. Im simply not about that life.

So, chances of a young brotha with a computer science degree landing a 80k+ job? :nerd:

Just depends really, alot of computer stuff is outsourced and ran through people back in the states.. they just do it from a distance if any of our networks go out.

Like for example my dad , he does satellite communication for the govt. back in St.Louis, when I was in Greenland in 2010-2011 and we had network problems.. his company we're the ones that got it back running.

But still.. you looking at 40-50% chance. If people actually pull out and make room for new people

so what can a 26 yr old chap like me do with a BA in Biology overseas? Currently working in a job completely unrelated to my major - Legal assistant for a major U.S. Oil Corp. SMH

any info on where i can get in on this? Id be down to dip for a year or 2.
Man.. I wish I still knew. I would be down to do at least a year.

My Aunt told me the contract they had was over in 2011..

I should have went when she was telling me about it..

But the young boy still had soccer dreams 
mean.gif

When I was playing soccer in Germany..
I saw quite a few expatriates working there..
Their jobs were taking care of most expenses..
If I ever obtained my work visa I would have been glad to work for a company over there..
I wouldn't mind working for the right company in Brazil either..
Job opportunities for Americans are increasing over there.

Doing what? I know a lot of military have been stationed there over the years and still are. Tell me about playing soccer in Germany, what club? I do want to do a lot of traveling, I would love to live in another country. I love soccer so sports wouldn't be much of an issue for me :lol:
Culture shock can last from 6-18 months I believe. It's only natural that a lot of people would have a difficult time adjusting. For me, some of the places I would look into would be: Brazil, Dubai, Qatar, Germany, and other Asian countries.

I'm working on getting a nursing degree. I'm not sure what options that would give me in terms of living in another country. Male nurses do well here. And I also plan on getting for a PhD eventually. School in another country is always a possibility.

If any of you have the opportunity, you should certainly take it.

Also, checking out traveling shows like No Reservations helps gain some insight to the culture at least

Doing what? I know a lot of military have been stationed there over the years and still are. Tell me about playing soccer in Germany, what club? I do want to do a lot of traveling, I would love to live in another country. I love soccer so sports wouldn't be much of an issue for me
laugh.gif

Culture shock can last from 6-18 months I believe. It's only natural that a lot of people would have a difficult time adjusting. For me, some of the places I would look into would be: Brazil, Dubai, Qatar, Germany, and other Asian countries.

I'm working on getting a nursing degree. I'm not sure what options that would give me in terms of living in another country. Male nurses do well here. And I also plan on getting for a PhD eventually. School in another country is always a possibility.

If any of you have the opportunity, you should certainly take it.

Also, checking out traveling shows like No Reservations helps gain some insight to the culture at least
 ​
I was playing for Vfl Osnabruck.. Trying to break into the senior squad..

They are in the 3rd division.. It was fun because it was the first and only time I got paid to actually do what I love doing.. 

I was making 600 euros a week under the table and I had place to stay with no responsibilities.. Just play soccer..
smokin.gif

Coaches suck though.. If you play like Khedira or Mueller 
sick.gif
.. They LOVE you. Or if you are big striker like Gomez you're good money..

Me.. I play similar to a Rooney or Ballotelli or even Sturridge.. The style doesn't go well with most coaches over there. I tried to adjust but I realized it was pointless..

I had people showing me around so it helped with the culture shock. You really don't need a car and everything is in walking distance.. So that was cool. 

I did some networking for other opportunities while I was there too..  

I met a couple Americans that were working for Hellmann logistics company.. 

They said they have job openings and there was a possibility of me getting a job there if I obtained my work visa..

I also met some Americans from the local basketball team who had significant others that held nice positions at hotels.

Its all about getting that work visa though.. I guess you have to prove that you already have a company that has offered you a job.

I was playing for Vfl Osnabruck.. Trying to break into the senior squad..
They are in the 3rd division.. It was fun because it was the first and only time I got paid to actually do what I love doing.. 
I was making 600 euros a week under the table and I had place to stay with no responsibilities.. Just play soccer..
smokin.gif

Coaches suck though.. If you play like Khedira or Mueller 
sick.gif
.. They LOVE you. Or if you are big striker like Gomez you're good money..

Me.. I play similar to a Rooney or Ballotelli or even Sturridge.. The style doesn't go well with most coaches over there. I tried to adjust but I realized it was pointless..
I had people showing me around so it helped with the culture shock. You really don't need a car and everything is in walking distance.. So that was cool. 

I did some networking for other opportunities while I was there too..  
I met a couple Americans that were working for Hellmann logistics company.. 

They said they have job openings and there was a possibility of me getting a job there if I obtained my work visa..
I also met some Americans from the local basketball team who had significant others that held nice positions at hotels.
Its all about getting that work visa though.. I guess you have to prove that you already have a company that has offered you a job.

Sucks your pro career didn't work out

Would have loved to play football abroad

If I could get a job in Japan or Spain I told my girl I would bounce tomorrow, no questions asked

I've been in India for 5 weeks now. I can't take it. No way I could live here. I'd love another location but it is a really good experience. Just choose wisely. Visiting and living are two different things. Do your research.

Back to Atl next week though. :pimp: :pimp:

^If you don't mind me asking how did you get the international job? through employer posting position available in India or something? or finding the India position on an international job posting site? :nerd:

^If you don't mind me asking how did you get the international job? through employer posting position available in India or something? or finding the India position on an international job posting site? :nerd:

Got the job through a friend who already works here. The India trip is part of the on-boarding process. I met a guy here who went to Michigan St.and works for Neilson. He's gotta be here for 6 months :x

I have lived overseas in South Korea for four years teaching English. I wish I had thought about this when I was younger. I wasted being 21 to 23 in some stressful, not for me, corporate job in Atlanta, GA with AT&T (I'm from Cali). 23 to 27 (my age now) have been the most productive, and stress-free years of my life.

I moved over to South Korea and have had an amazing time here and stacked scrills.

The funny thing is that you actually do all the things you imagine you'd do if you live in the US. For example, my idea of living in the U.S is having a 9-5, playing ball after work, going out for a weekday happy hour, and maybe going to a concert, or move, or barbeque or something on the weekend.

The reality is you work 9 to 5, but have to factor in about two hours for transportation. That's 8 to 6. Food costs a ton more. You're 48k a year salary, after tax barely leaves enough to pay rent (California rent), and go out three times a week. Forget saving. You are exhausted from work, and lucky to play hoops twice a week. It is hard to coordinate activities with friends because everyone is busy, has gf, family, etc. A lot of times little things like who is going to drive ends up making all the effort barely worth it.

The reality (for me) living in South Korea. I worked 1 pm to 6 pm. Never had to come in early, or stay late. My residence was paid for through my contract, and I lived a 4 minute walk away from work. There is a huge park next to my apartment. Has a skate park, water shows in the summer, 6 full courts for basketball, mini golf range, tennis courts, and most importantly..it's not ghetto at all. No drugs users, just families, office workers, and children at the park. It gets packed on nice days with everyone having a picnic etc. It feels alive. Never have to drive anywhere as the public transportation infrastructure is amazing. Can get anywhere using it easily. Everyone else here also has a lot of free time so it isn't uncommon to play ball 5x a week, go out to events on the weekends, and in general have a ton of free time. In fact, I've had so much free time I'm halfway through a master's in accountancy since I got here (distance learning at a SF college).

Everyone eventually comes back to the U.S. It is the reason I am doing my master's. I want to come back and have an established career path. There is nothing like living in the U.S, but living abroad from 20 to 30 is the best life you can have (in my opinion). You can make money, have fun, and be free. You'll be working till 65, so might as well give yourself 10 years to find out who you are and what sort of work you are willing to do when you get back.

Everyday life for us military people.

I'm in Afghan and I've met civilians who re-up their contracts every year and been here 4-5 years, racking up 150k+ TAX FREE a year doing easy work.

Hell, even do a quick year, stack up your dough tax free and go back home.

In Europe Now when i get out def think about staying a little while longer

So the govt is paying middlemen well over $100k a year to hire janitors in Afghanistan? Meanwhile all we ever hear about is improving our employment numbers? Is that about right?

How easy is it to get permission to work in these other countries, visas and whatnot? How does the expat thing work? Don't you have to renounce your US citizenship?

So, chances of a young brotha with a computer science degree landing a 80k+ job? :nerd:

I have known several people with an IT background that have went to Afghanistan for a year or 2 and have made 150k plus. I had a chance to go 2 summers ago but backed out. If your interested in pursuing an opportunity feel free to PM and I see if I can put you in contact with some folks.

I have lived overseas in South Korea for four years teaching English. I wish I had thought about this when I was younger. I wasted being 21 to 23 in some stressful, not for me, corporate job in Atlanta, GA with AT&T (I'm from Cali). 23 to 27 (my age now) have been the most productive, and stress-free years of my life.

I moved over to South Korea and have had an amazing time here and stacked scrills.
I have a friend who is doing that right now. Had another friend who applied last year but didn't get the job. I think it's because he's a little socially awkward :lol:. The same type of job was being offered through my college for the duration of a semester or two. I'm graduating in a few weeks and will look into it. I need to start filling up my bank accounts since they are so empty.

The UAE (Abu Dhabi and Dubai) are always looking for teaching jobs. Especially Summertime, but just know its around 100-120 degrees :smh:

Back
Top Bottom