Wi-Fi slow? Use the Li-Fi...(video)

Arent we already using this technology with fiberoptics? Sure it runs through cables, but I dont think using light for data transmition is that new.

Last edited:
Arent we already using this technology with fiberoptics? Sure it runs through cables, but I dont think using light for data transmition is that new.

Great point and I thought about this as well. In terms of bandwidth though, the comparison is like a grain of sand to all the light outside during the day. But for security purposes we would have to enclose light which would end up in some type of shielding pretty much making what we already have just different gauges.

Would make for an interesting age in hardware architecture.

Hasn't Japan been doing this for a while now? I remember reading something about this back in 2005. But maybe it was just a theory back then though.

Probably one of the stupidest things I've seen. Think about it. The reason we use wifi is because we do not need a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. As soon as someone walks in this LiFi beam it disrupts the transmission. This is essentially high tech smoke signals. Not impressed

Probably one of the stupidest things I've seen. Think about it. The reason we use wifi is because we do not need a direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. As soon as someone walks in this LiFi beam it disrupts the transmission. This is essentially high tech smoke signals. Not impressed
Somewhat agree.

Dude needs to figure out how to bend light and direct its dispersion (gravity?) before he thinks this is going to be widely useful. 

The implementation would be best of the light was emitted from multiple sources & angles. Think of a room with florescent lighting. You would essentially be getting the signal from multiple sources.

The main problem I see with this technology though is that data travels fastest at lengths we can't see. Unless he's transmitting low length waves along with the visible light, then he's going to have some big limitations in how far the technology will go.

The implementation would be best of the light was emitted from multiple sources & angles. Think of a room with florescent lighting. You would essentially be getting the signal from multiple sources.

The main problem I see with this technology though is that data travels fastest at lengths we can't see. Unless he's transmitting low length waves along with the visible light, then he's going to have some big limitations in how far the technology will go.

What about crystals and other types of stones? Using the structure of crystals to pass light that can be split into many angles and data streams.
diffexpt.gif

I think this would be great for holographics.

You can bounce the light, have it come from different angles, etc, but its still not going through walls. Also, how about using this in the dark where you dont want any lights on, or even on a bright sunny day? There are little to no practical uses for this.

Back
Top Bottom