Will Bynum Thread (07/18/21: Big 3: Nate Robinson vs. Will Bynum:)

Originally Posted by haiti5

i dont think he is eligible..but if he was he should easily get MIP
I don't understand, why wouldn't he be eligible? Because he went to the DL for awhile?

pimp.gif
Will Bynum for MVP

http://
Bynum scored 26 of his points in the fourth quarter, the most ever by a Piston in any quarter of play. "Will was great all night," Detroit coach Michael Curry said. The previous franchise record for points in a quarter was 24, set by Stackhouse and Thomas. Bynum also dished out seven assists. Inside the Detroit locker room, Detroit center Kwame Brown teased Bynum about the points coming because of the screens set by Brown. "I set a franchise record for screens, too," Brown said. Booth Newspapers

Bynum, who struggled in Detroit's loss at Philadelphia on Saturday, led a fourth-quarter surge in a game the Pistons absolutely had to win to continue to have some measure of control over their postseason fate. "As I told him, 'You're in the scouting report now,' " Curry said. "They're going to try and protect the paint and stop you from getting there." Booth Newspapers

http://
Hoops HYpe
pimp.gif

Inside the Detroit locker room, Detroit center Kwame Brown teased Bynum about the points coming because of the screens set by Brown. "I set a franchise record for screens, too," Brown said.

Shut the %$!@ up, Kwame.
laugh.gif

I don't understand, why wouldn't he be eligible? Because he went to the DL for awhile?
i phrased that wrong..that was more of a question..i hope he is eligible.i cant think of anyone of the top who has improved more..maybe mowilliams i guess

i phrased that wrong..that was more of a question..i hope he is eligible.i cant think of anyone of the top who has improved more..maybe mo williams i guess

Devin Harris and Danny Granger.

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

^ Pardon My Ignorance, but... What?
It says you can't hotlink the pick unless you "Upgrade" your account. It was a poorly executed joke.

ahhhhhhh alright
laugh.gif

I can see the picture so I wouldn't have got that one in a 100 tries. Its Will at Crane high school.

Pierre Pierce
[table] Class of 2001 [tr][td]
pierce.jpg
[/td] [td] High School: Westmont
AAU Team: Illinois Warriors

Height: 6'3"

Position: Combo Guard

Scouting Report: A lanky guard, Pierre has the handle and quickness to play the point, yet can play the shooting guard spot with his ability to create shots. Already committed to play for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes.
[/td] [/tr][/table]

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

bynum.jpg

Click on the left for player profiles for the different classes. Some funny pics of those dudes.

2001 was a helluva year for Chicago

thats the pic I posted
laugh.gif

Najeeb Echols

[table] Class of 2001 [tr][td]
echols.jpg
[/td] [td] High School: Chicago Morgan Park
AAU Team: Illinois Gold

Height: 6'7"

Position: Small Forward

Scouting Report: At 6'7" and with a solid frame, Najeeb has a very versatile game. He often times brings the ball up for his team and is excellent at slashing to the hoop. Outside shot could be improved.
[/td] [/tr][/table]​

Mizzou did him foul... had him playing the 4, he had tools G. If they hadn't made him sit out when he came to MP, with Q and Bryd they would'vebeat the %%#% outta Eddy that yr
smh.gif

[h2]Hello World, Meet Will Bynum[/h2]
Posted Apr 06, 2009 9:25AM By Matt Watson (RSS feed)

Filed Under: Pistons, NBA Last Night, NBA Press Box

will-bynum-dribbling-0405-200.jpg
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- For most of the season, Will Bynum has lived in obscurity, the third point guard on a team that already had two starters at the position. But lately? Allen Iverson is gone and Rodney Stuckey hit the wall, and Bynum isn't letting his opportunity go to waste.

With their postseason hopes on the line, things looked bleak for the Pistons heading into the final quarter against the Bobcats on Sunday night. After allowing a 17-point lead to completely evaporate, the Pistons actually finished the third quarter trailing by one. And then, as if things weren't difficult enough, Rip Hamilton was ejected after picking up his second technical of the night.

Naturally, that's when Bynum took over, etching his name in the team's record book in the process by scoring 26 points in the final quarter to put the game on ice.http://

Bynum did most of the damage by attacking the lane and drawing whistles -- he shot 6-6 from the field and 14-16 from the line in the final quarter, finishing the game with 32 points and seven assists. The previous team record for points in a quarter was 24, accomplished twice by Isiah Thomas in the 1980's and most recently by Jerry Stackhouse eight years ago.

The Pistons have a long and storied tradition of excellent guard play -- glance up at the Palace rafters and you'll see numbers belonging to Dave Bing, Thomas, Joe Dumars and Vinnie Johnson, and that's not even counting the new generation of Chauncey Billups and Hamilton -- but on Sunday, Bynum did something no one's ever accomplished while wearing a Pistons jersey.

Not too bad for a guy who stands six-feet-zero in shoes, bounced between two colleges, went undrafted, spent most of his first year as a pro in the D-League and then played two years in Israel before going to summer league to earn a contract with the Pistons that made him the second-lowest paid player on the team, ahead of only Walter Sharpe, a second-round pick rookie.

Of course, to suggest that Bynum's monster performance on Sunday came out of nowhere wouldn't be fair; he's been playing well for some time now, and though his minutes have been limited, he's actually the team's leader with an 18.0 PER. As Michael Curry admitted after the game, Bynum is already on the opposition's radar, if not that of the casual fan, as well. "[As] I told him, 'You're in the scouting report now, Will. They're going to try to protect the paint and stop you from getting there,' " Curry said.

Talking with reporters in front of his locker, Bynum deflected all the praise to his teammates. "I mean, it's really not me," he said. "It's my teammates and the coaching staff. I couldn't even be -- I don't deserve all the credit, it was pretty much them, those guys out there setting the screens and the coaching staff believing in me. That's who gets the [credit] for it."

Professional athletes are trained to talk like this, but coming out of Bynum's mouth, I'm inclined to actually believe him. And after hearing comments from other players that are enough to make you question being a fan, Bynum's "team first" mentality is entirely refreshing.

"I could have sat on the bench and scored two points, I still would have been up cheering trying to get this win," he added. "As long as we got the win, I'm going to be satisfied no matter what happens."

how could i have missed this thread....the crib ftw!! him and sean dockery use to go AT IT back in hs....glad to see he's coming into his own..

How are such diminutive guards as Nate Robinson, Will Bynum, and Aaron Brooks able to be so effective in today's NBA where the players arebigger, stronger, and more athletic than ever? - Rey, Farmington Hill, MI

Extraordinary north-and-south speed coupled with extraordinary east-and-west quickness. Plus large doses of absolutely heart-stopping talent.
[table][tr][td]
9403760_36_3.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nate Robinson is surprisingly strong. (Garrett W. Ellwood / Getty Images)[/td] [/tr][/table]
Also, while Brooks is easily the quickest and fastest of this trio, Robinson and Bynum are surprisingly strong.

It's also difficult for hostile bigs to bang these guys solidly enough to hurt them because they can't catch them. And because the little guys arelightweight enough to safely bounce off of heavy-duty hits.

Being so undersized enables Robinson, Bynum and Brooks to penetrate the minutest cracks in defenses. They can also operate at full efficiency at a levelthat's beneath the sphere of influence and comfort of taller players. And their lower center of gravity enables the Lilliputians to change direction muchquicker and in much closer quarters.

I knew the post-Chauncey Pistons weren't a contender in the East, but I didn't know it had gotten this bad... losers of 9 of their last 13 games.

My guess is Will Bynum is this year's Tarence Kinsey.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Bynum will have some staying power, but he'll need to develop 3-point range this summer to have any chance. That's one areawhere playing in the Euroleague doesn't help, their 3-pt line (20'6") is actually shorter than the new NCAA 3-pt line (20'9"). And Istill can't believe Bynum averaged 5.7 turnovers/game in the D-League... how is that even possible?

http://dberri.wordpress.c.../the-other-better-bynum/ -
pimp.gif

[h2]The Other Better Bynum[/h2] [h4]April 9, 2009 · 3 Comments[/h4]
Back in December of 2007 I observed that Andrew Bynum - who was much maligned by Kobe Byrant and others during the summer of 2007 - had improved tremendously in 2007-08 (relative to what we saw from Bynum's first two seasons). In fact, per-minute Andrew Bynum was offering - in a sample of just 17 games - more than Kobe (an observation that led to much anger from Kobe's fans).

After this post Bynum only appeared in 18 more games in 2007-08. And this year an injury has again caused him to miss a significant number of games. So although Bynum has been above average on a per-minute basis, his inability to stay on the court obviously diminishes his value. Tonight, though, he's supposed to return to action. And so a post on the wonder that is Andrew Bynum seems appropriate.

But while Bynum has been sitting another Bynum - Will Bynum of the Detroit Pistons - has emerged. And like Andrew in 2007-08, Will Bynum in 2008-09 is offering a level of production that surpasses (if only slightly) a future Hall-of-Fame player. Consequently I want to devote this post to the Other Bynum.

Before we get to the Will Bynum story, let me briefly note the end of the Iverson era in Detroit. Last November the Pistons sent Chauncey Billups to the Denver Nuggets for Allen Iverson. At the time of this trade I noted that this trade would probably make the Nuggets better and the Pistons worse.

With Iverson now injured for the remainder of the season, Iverson's career in Detroit is now over (assuming the Pistons will not re-sign Iverson). And now that we have reached the end I think it's clear the outcome - as the following posts indicated - conformed to expectations.

Aging Billups and Telling Stories

The Billups Trade As It Was, As It Is Imagined, and As It Can Be

What Might Have Been in Denver

Really the Answer is Iverson

Iverson played his last game with the Pistons on April 1[sup]st[/sup]. Four days later Will Bynum offered a performance that might remind people of Iverson at his best. Against the Charlotte Bobcats - with a playoff position on the line - Bynum came off the bench and posted the following numbers: 32 points, 60% field goal percentage, 88% free throw percentage (and 16 free throw attempts), 7 assists, 4 rebounds, and only 1 turnover.

After such a performance I wondered how Bynum (who stands 6ft. tall) compares to Iverson (who also stands 6ft tall). Let's start with the Iverson story, as told by Wins Produced and WP48 [Wins Produced per 48 minutes].
  • Iverson's Career prior to 2008-09: 59.7 Wins Produced, 0.083 WP48
  • Iverson in Detroit: 2.3 Wins Produced, 0.056 WP48
And here is what Bynum has done this season: 1.3 Wins Produced, 0.085 WP48.

As one can see, Bynum - in 715 minutes - is offering more than Iverson (on a per-minute basis) this season. And Bynum's per-minute numbers this season are similar to what Iverson did per-minute for his career (prior to arriving in Detroit).

If we look at the individual stats - reported in Table One - we can see the similarities between Bynum and The Answer.

Table One: The Guards of the Detroit Pistons in 2008-09

Like Iverson, Bynum is below average with respect to shooting efficiency (although not as far below as Iverson), rebounds, and turnovers. And like Iverson, he's above average with respect to steals, as well as shot attempts and points (although not as far above as Iverson). Differences can be seen with respect to free throw attempts (Iverson is better), personal fouls (Iverson is better), and assists (Bynum is better). Overall, though, both players are quite similar and if there is an edge, it goes to Bynum. The edge, though, is not that great. So essentially, all of this tells us that the Pistons with Bynum coming off the bench are probably about as good as they would be with Iverson coming off the bench. And Bynum is very unlikely to complain.

Unfortunately, eliminating the complaining is not really the issue. As Table One indicates, neither Bynum nor Iverson are as productive as Billups. And the same story is told when we look at the other guards for the Pistons. Richard Hamilton, Rodney Stuckey, and Arron Afflalo - like Bynum and Iverson - are below average. As a consequence, the Pistons in 2008-09 - whether Iverson complains or Bynum is happy - are simply not as good as they were in 2007-08.

The good news - as I have noted before (and I think many others have observed) - is that Iverson's contract is coming off the books. This means the Pistons have some serious salary cap space this summer and a very productive player - at least theoretically - could be added to this roster. Consequently - and again, this is just the plan - the Pistons could once again be contenders in 2009-10.

When that happens, will Bynum be part of the rotation? The Pistons have the option of bringing back Bynum next season. And one might think - since Bynum is only in his second season - that there is substantial room for improvement. Bynum, though, is already 26 years of age, so substantial improvement may not be possible. Still - like Iverson - he is close to average as a guard. And I think he has demonstrated he can score off the bench. So if the Pistons do not keep Bynum, some other NBA team should be willing to employ his services.

In fact, if Iverson refuses to come off the bench for another NBA team, Bynum might be the perfect alternative to the Answer. Plus, Bynum is both younger and cheaper. Hence, it seems very likely that the Other Bynum may very well be the Answer for someone in 2009-10.

Back
Top Bottom