Will Facebook ever fall off? Serious question

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Posted 2 pages ago.

Yea I read that. hence me saying i understand the ever evolving and no competitors arguments.  Just wanted to see if there was any other insight.

I think the argument that facebook doesn't actually make a product is a very interesting concept depending on how you see things.  Obviously there is no concrete answer to the "will they fall off" question.  But it's interesting to see that some people think facebook can stay relevant and others think it can't. 
Everytime Facebook comes out with something new, integrates with a 3rd party, increases exposure or comes up with proprietary IP that nobody can replicate, they are creating a barrier on their marketplace. This barrier makes it harder for competitors to come in and do something better than what they already are. Unless something changes and FB becomes static and contempt, or some other company comes in and blows Facebook away with something groundbreaking, the masses will not sway and FB won't fall off.

This is why Google is on top, despite having other search engines available on the net. They have the IP and exposure to make them relevant, and they're innovative enough to push boundaries and keep themselves relevant for the future. Someone basically has to come in and do what Google/facebook does...but a lot better for anyone to even notice. Easier said than done, especially with all the IP that they've established.

/My take on it.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Posted 2 pages ago.

Yea I read that. hence me saying i understand the ever evolving and no competitors arguments.  Just wanted to see if there was any other insight.

I think the argument that facebook doesn't actually make a product is a very interesting concept depending on how you see things.  Obviously there is no concrete answer to the "will they fall off" question.  But it's interesting to see that some people think facebook can stay relevant and others think it can't. 
Everytime Facebook comes out with something new, integrates with a 3rd party, increases exposure or comes up with proprietary IP that nobody can replicate, they are creating a barrier on their marketplace. This barrier makes it harder for competitors to come in and do something better than what they already are. Unless something changes and FB becomes static and contempt, or some other company comes in and blows Facebook away with something groundbreaking, the masses will not sway and FB won't fall off.

This is why Google is on top, despite having other search engines available on the net. They have the IP and exposure to make them relevant, and they're innovative enough to push boundaries and keep themselves relevant for the future. Someone basically has to come in and do what Google/facebook does...but a lot better for anyone to even notice. Easier said than done, especially with all the IP that they've established.

/My take on it.

GartnerHypeCycle.gif

I believe that Facebook had reached the peak of inflated expectation (at least for me), but I think it still has a lot of going for it and is continuing to grow both in users and in technology.
As far as it ever falling off, I give it at least 5 more years till it reaches it's plateau.

Sidenote: well damn, I learned something from BUS101.
laugh.gif

GartnerHypeCycle.gif

I believe that Facebook had reached the peak of inflated expectation (at least for me), but I think it still has a lot of going for it and is continuing to grow both in users and in technology.
As far as it ever falling off, I give it at least 5 more years till it reaches it's plateau.

Sidenote: well damn, I learned something from BUS101.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom