Will This Baby Receive The Same Flack As Others Before Him Vol. Taking My Ball And Going Home

Its the bengals though

i some times think what if he would not have got hurt vs the steelers in that playoff game.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by Furrell

http://twitter.com/#!/jayfeely
@jayfeely Jay Feely

Just a thought: if an African American receiver were doing same thing as Carson Palmer would there be so many people defending his actions?

yesjacknicholson.gif

If TO pulled a stunt like this, Schlereth, Hodge, and the rest of the ESPN "experts" would crucify him.

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

I'll respect Carson if he doesn't get traded and actually does retire.

There's no reason for players to honor contracts since the owners don't. The guy doesn't want to be there, so he's using the only leverage he has. Props to him for that.

example?

how do you feel about every single player who has had 1 good season and then held out the next for more money, and would it be fair for an organization to "lock out" a player if he has a bad year and pay him considerably less money for the next season?
I support every single one of them. If they outplay their contract they should get a new one. And organizations do "lock out" players who underperform. It's called releasing them.

laugh.gif
the media continues to get to a lot of you, you need to be careful. "Owners do not honor the contracts so why should players" is not really a valid question. Because the "contracts" are not guaranteed, they are filled with phony numbers and years for the agents and players egos, and the numbers ESPN blasts as headlines mean nothing and everyone associated in the deal knows it. Most of what they care about is the signing bonus, THAT is the real contract between both parties and that is what legally has to be paid.

Granted there is obviously more to it than that and both sides are lookin to get theirs, and players always get national heat if they want to restructure or walk away (while owners get no flack for letting players lose) no doubt about that.

There are positives and negatives to the way the NFL structures player contracts just like there are with the way NBA and MLB too. I've always thought the NFL's way is the best for the fan.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

laugh.gif
the media continues to get to a lot of you, you need to be careful. "Owners do not honor the contracts so why should players" is not really a valid question. Because the "contracts" are not guaranteed, they are filled with phony numbers and years for the agents and players egos, and the numbers ESPN blasts as headlines mean nothing and everyone associated in the deal knows it. Most of what they care about is the signing bonus, THAT is the real contract between both parties and that is what legally has to be paid.

Granted there is obviously more to it than that and both sides are lookin to get theirs, and players always get national heat if they want to restructure or walk away (while owners get no flack for letting players lose) no doubt about that.

There are positives and negatives to the way the NFL structures player contracts just like there are with the way NBA and MLB too. I've always thought the NFL's way is the best for the fan.

First of all Jay Feely is just saying what Chad said from day 1.
Carson imo made it easier on himself when he said he has 80 million in the bank.
The only reason Carson isnt on the stake right now is cause everyone knows the Bengals are run like a mom and pop, and have seen it on HBO. And Carson simply made a strong suggestion which the Bengals refuse to acknowledge as being valid. Then he said he would retire and was serious, and in the ultimate sense its his body.

Very proud of what Carson did but not in the way you might think. I think it's awesome that he was so financially responsible that he could afford to do this. I hope that one day I'll be able to save enough money so that I have that kind of flexibility.

Very proud of what Carson did but not in the way you might think. I think it's awesome that he was so financially responsible that he could afford to do this. I hope that one day I'll be able to save enough money so that I have that kind of flexibility.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

laugh.gif

Believe it or not, the media is not responsible for all of our feelings towards players.

But you are right in that this isn't a matter of honoring contracts as much as the nature of them. When Brown says that he's not going to trade Palmer because he signed a contract, he is spewing hypocrisy. Owners rarely "honor" contracts and will oftentimes cut a player before the end of the deal. Yes, that is understood when players sign the contract, which is why I have no problem with any player who attempts to regain financial leverage or force a trade.

Originally Posted by toine2983

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by Furrell

http://twitter.com/#!/jayfeely

yesjacknicholson.gif

If TO pulled a stunt like this, Schlereth, Hodge, and the rest of the ESPN "experts" would crucify him.
i always wondered about the backlash a black WR would have got if he would have said "i have $80 million in the bank, i'll retire if they don't trade me"

i understand Carson doesn't have a track record of yapping though

i understand Carson doesn't have a track record of yapping though

And that's the reason. First of all, race didn't even need to be brought up. Why even throw something like that out there? Feely is lame. Always has been.

Secondly, any player that carries himself with class, black or white, would not be crucified.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

There's no reason for players to honor contracts since the owners don't. The guy doesn't want to be there, so he's using the only leverage he has. Props to him for that.

Co-sign

Cliff Notes:
Black Man fulfills his contract on one of the laughing stocks of the league and "decides" to try to win elsewhere...........(Arrogant, Quitter, Selfish, Mobbed by Media and Media influenced fans) 

White Man doesnt fulfill his contract, holds the entire team hostage brags about "money in the bank" and QUITS on team (Media sides with player, "Oh I understand its the bengals" blame the owner)

inb4 delusional white poster says race has nothing to do wit hit

Why is ESPN not attacking dude for actually quitting on his team?? 
Free Agency and Making a Decision vs. Not fullfilling a contract and quitting on your team

O and the "I dont like how the other guy did it" goes out the window this fool is retiring only to un retire next year. 

Im just trying to understand how this works. We need balance

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

he cant unretire and go to a different team, they would still own his rights.
He comes back next year the ball is in his court because Bengals would have to pay him more money so they would have to release him or pay him 

Because ESPN chooses the villains and heroes that they like and can force feed storylines down our throat.

In Palmer's case making his story a huge drama-filled thing will still cause majority of the country to say "don't really care."

But hey Tiger Woods is a terrible human being that fills up enough ESPN programming.

Originally Posted by cartune

Cliff Notes:
Black Man fulfills his contract on one of the laughing stocks of the league and "decides" to try to win elsewhere...........(Arrogant, Quitter, Selfish, Mobbed by Media and Media influenced fans) 

White Man doesnt fulfill his contract, holds the entire team hostage brags about "money in the bank" and QUITS on team (Media sides with player, "Oh I understand its the bengals" blame the owner)

inb4 delusional white poster says race has nothing to do wit hit

Preach bro.

Back
Top Bottom