Wireless Router Help

I just got my router in today, and im trying to hook it up to my laptop( i have no desktop) and im having trouble. First off it's not picking up the router. I put the ethernet wire from the modem to the router and it's still not searching. What am i doing wrong?

What kind of router? You're going to have to setup the wireless network from the router so it can broadcast your specific settings.

Plus, its obvious to assume your wireless card is enabled on the Laptop, correct?

if your plugging directly into the router to configure it, you'll have to plug in, and open a web browser and connect to it by IP to configure it, the IP should be: 192.168.1.1 <----type that in your web browswer

And i dont know the security password to even be able to get to the IP address.....i tried holding down restore,and it didnt work...know what?

Originally Posted by Mdotte

And i dont know the security password to even be able to get to the IP address.....i tried holding down restore,and it didnt work...know what?
From the command line type in ipconfig..

Whatever your gateway is..browse to that in your web browser. If it asks for a psw  try admin for both user and pass.

If that doesnt work hold the reset button on the back of the router for about 15-20secs...after it powers back up try the above and it should get you into your router to configure your SSID and psw for wireless.

Originally Posted by Killa Kyleon

From the command line type in ipconfig..

Whatever your gateway is..browse to that in your web browser. If it asks for a psw  try admin for both user and pass.

If that doesnt work hold the reset button on the back of the router for about 15-20secs...after it powers back up try the above and it should get you into your router to configure your SSID and psw for wireless.
im on a network with free wi-fi, so it gives me the ipstuff for that network. Since i dont know the password for my router,i cant connect to the internet,so i cant enter the gateway,and i've pressed reset,and held it for about 30 seconds...nothing,and if it helps the power keeps blinking

Originally Posted by Killa Kyleon

im on a network with free wi-fi, so it gives me the ipstuff for that network. Since i dont know the password for my router,i cant connect to the internet,so i cant enter the gateway,and i've pressed reset,and held it for about 30 seconds...nothing,and if it helps the power keeps blinking

Plug a patch cable into the lan ports on the router, then do the ipconfig, and disconnect from your current wifi connection. If you reset it, it should be defaulted. As far as the power blinking constantly...could be a bad router.

^^^^patch cable? and i dont know if it's been reset because its still asking for a password, and i cant get in, and another thing....im right next to it...and all the lights arent green...shouldnt they be?

^^^^patch cable? and i dont know if it's been reset because its still asking for a password, and i cant get in, and another thing....im right next to it...and all the lights arent green...shouldnt they be?Patch
Patch cable = ethernet cable. You'll have to plug directly into the router to re-configure it.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/linksys if you are still connected to the other network look here, just plug in the model number.

Back
Top Bottom