Wisdom teeth removal...what do I need to know?

Does everyone need to get their wisdom teeth removed?

I currently have 3 wisdom teeth but they haven't given me any problems.

If your dentist deems there is enough room in your jaw, you can leave them. In a lot of cases though, they shift & can misalign your whole set of teeth or at the very least cause some alignment issues.

I got mine done in my early 20s - had all 4 taken out at once (so blessed to have decent dental coverage). I still remember the nitrous oxide, the surgeon basically taking a scalpel, hammer & what seemed like a chisel then some pliers to wrench these babies out (not sure about you other posters but when I saw them before they disposed of them I had looooong roots) - the creepy part is while being drugged under I could "feel" the teeth being pulled out (yeah, I'm queasy right now) but man, FOLLOW THE POST-OP rules and recommendations, they are very key

I was prescribed Tylenol 3, took a day or so off work, when the post op bruising showed up my jawline was greenish yellow like I took a baseball bat to the jaw... Bagged frozen vegetables to take down the swelling along your jaw while you lie down or just sitting around.

Also, if they give you the irrigation syringe to irrigate your wounds with salt water, do it religiously, it helps speed up the healing process. The last thing you want is a "dry socket" or infected wound in your mouth.

Like others have said, avoid the hard, crunchy foods that have a tendency to stick into small crevices (rice, corn, granola, most cereal, oatmeal, etc.)

Soup will probably be your main food source for a few days I would guess.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by odog24

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

Originally Posted by odog24

how do you know when to take them out?
im turning 19 in january and i dont know if they have come in yet?

**dont mean to highjack**
See your dentist.
Most times you get them taken out before they come in.

I dont even have a dentist havent been there in like 3 or 4 years..ill go see one and see whats upThanks
its better to get them out before the poke through. that means they are most likely impacted if they come through, that will make the pain worse. cause they cut the gums open an break them apart to take them out.

One minute youll be in the chair with the sleeping gas mask on counting backwards from 100, the next minute you're @$%%+! up getting helped u into the recovery room..

Right when you get home, you'll probably sleep on the first spot you find. And you might sleep for like 12 hours.
The first three days for breakfast, lunch, and dinner all I ate was plain mashed potatoes and coca cola
sick.gif

DO NOT try to eat ice cream.. it'll come right back out of you. Your stomach will be messed up for a day or two cuz the medicine. Soda helps settle it.
It will hurt and it will be bloody.. be easy when changing your gause.
Expect to look like a chipmunk for around 2 weeks because of the swelling..

I had 3 removed and it sucked. Good luck tho.

(if ur a smoker) do what you do a day earlier cuz you not supposed to smoke after so take a day for yourself. you guna have a huge hole stiched in the back of ur mouth so its a muther getting food stuck in those. and you lose a lot of blood thru your mouth cuz of this. but i found it euphoric in a way .

Originally Posted by Swag Odie

Why do they need to be taken out if they don't hurt? Genuinely would like to know
If they don't hurt and they aren't impacting they don't need to be taken out. Dentists just tell everyone to have them removed because they make a gang of money off of the oral surgery.

I had two taken out. It took longer to numb my teeth than the actual procedure. I arrived at the dentists office at 10:30 AM and was out of there at 10:50 AM. If I had to do it all over again, I would've had them remove all four.

Don't pick at your stitches like I did. I got an infection and my recovery was set back a week. Not fun at all. Salt water is your best friend.

Only take the ones that are bothering you out. The pain is only bad for the first 3 days. After that it's just annoying because you can't eat.

Originally Posted by Navarretr

I can already feel mind comin in.
30t6p3b.gif

You minus well get that checked out. The crowded feeling in the teeth gets irritating..

Buy some over the counter pain meds and flip the vicodin/codeine prescription. Bought my textbooks in college.

They used IV Sedation on me when i had mines removed.

Was knocked the %%$% out and didn't feel a thing.  You'll be woozy as hell afterwards 
laugh.gif
  If I were you, i'd get all 4 removed at the same time.  The next few days, all i ate was Ramen chicken noodles.  I was fine after 2 days, but it varies for some people.  Best time to get them out is while you're young because you'll heal faster.

Good luck

I did all four about 3 years ago & the biggest problem was the bleeding..First night I was gurgling blood & had to sleep w/a towel as bib since it would spill out..Pain was nearly non-existent but I did get tired of pudding after 4 days.

gotta get all 4 of mine pulled in january. these replies made me a little less nervous. thought it was gonna hurt like hell. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom