Woodworking Carpentry & Stuff Making

Edit: If there’s something you’ve made or fixed that you want to share please post. Provides inspiration for the rest of us.

I’m taking the plunge this year after watching enough YouTube videos to last lifetimes. Anyone else build stuff?

I have zero knowledge. Never operated a power tool. My parents were immigrants and didn’t ever let me touch stuff since they were afraid it’d break and we can’t afford to fix it.

Now in my 30s thinking it’s finally time. Signed up for some expensive classes to get started.

Make a wedge table - 4 hours $100
Make a cutting board - 4 hours $120
Fundamentals of woodworking - 2 day all day class $250

My end goal is to really know how to build a house..so i can buy some land and build a small house myself. Live in an apartment so can’t really buy or use power tools in this space. Will continue with different classes for the next few months to get my feet wet and try to go to some Habitat for Humanity stuff. Open to suggestions..

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind doing something like this. I'm pretty handy and artistic, maybe I'll look into it.

My first project earlier this year - kind of a mess but at least the cats enjoy it and makes my girl happy

C6D6D3A0-8E2E-4B17-BD4D-15847BE6529B.jpeg

F45CB135-AC52-4493-9F06-4C6CA180AE11.jpeg

B34A3F94-C55F-4DE2-9A10-2FE7D0783055.jpeg

Every once in a while I get this desire to build a book case or a shoe rack for my closet but I never wind up doing it. Most handiwork I’ve done is tape and spackle my basement. That **** sucked.

True MEN :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

I do construction but, I’ve always wanted to try Carpentry :pimp: :pimp:. I’m going to give it a try

Go to Home Depot parking lot, shadow the Mayans and they’ll let you be a uncertified apprentice and teach you everything like DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican said.

On the real from what other customers who had dealings with alotta them spanish (central american dudes) who post up outside dam near every home depot ...alotta them do iffy work & thats not including those who take deposit money from people then get low (aka robbing people by cutting off they phones & or telling people they had to go back to their countries to avoid getting doing the work) i had to come & do work multiple times /aka play clean up duty where people paid me to do a job that some of them started than bounced on ....not saying all but i hear alotta them stories thru the grapevine

I was jam packed with work last summer & i hired 2 honduran dudes who i specifically asked if they knew how to do hardwood refinishing (they gave me the okie doke) so i added them to my team so i can bring in more money attending to more jobs..long story short i had my partner ending up having to show them how to do the work so i ended up paying them For nothing

Them home depot spanish dudes is along the lines of hiring black parking lot car mechanics ..high case things might not go as u expect i wouldnt really recommend nobody dealing with them unless u tight on funds or u just dont care to take a chance of having a iffy job done

Home Depot classes, and volunteering with habitat for humanity. And of there are some maker spaces by you might be cool to check out

Made a wedge table today. Used a chop saw, router table, and nail gun. Put stain on it too but was too filthy to take a picture after - will take one tomorrow.

Attachments

• 3D3876B0-515D-43AB-BBE1-AE0B7663415E.jpeg
    3D3876B0-515D-43AB-BBE1-AE0B7663415E.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 16
  • A49C2C04-AA75-4583-BA06-AD6DEA648170.jpeg
    A49C2C04-AA75-4583-BA06-AD6DEA648170.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 42
Cool to run into this thread. We can get some ideas rolling in here. Just getting into carpentry.

Wife and i just bought our first house 2019. We tackled a massive first project and redid our whole kitchen. Along the way I bought tons of tools and learned a lot.

next project is the garage. Building shelving, work bench etc. also a rolling Stand for my Weber kettle lol

I didn’t realize stain takes so long for the smell to disappear. Used Minwax. Got it sitting outside. Anyone know - should an overnight be enough for me to bring it back inside the apartment or will it still be super strong? Seems like i didn’t fully wipe it off enough still a little sticky to the touch 24 hours after.

I didn’t realize stain takes so long for the smell to disappear. Used Minwax. Got it sitting outside. Anyone know - should an overnight be enough for me to bring it back inside the apartment or will it still be super strong? Seems like i didn’t fully wipe it off enough still a little sticky to the touch 24 hours after.
yea might be there result of not wiping the staining off enough.

This is a dining table that i recently built. The top is reclaimed white oak and the base is welded steel spray painted matte black with a protective coat.
4D3FA32D-E2D7-4B26-8735-F07678F0F195.jpeg

I made some serving boards and coasters as Christmas gifts. Below is a link to a DIY IG that i recently started
B3974797-1BAA-480F-9AF1-36EFD53023B9.jpeg

B801057C-32A2-4DE0-A55B-4CC163AC6141.jpeg
94FEEC73-F12C-4373-8771-26D7B307A14E.jpeg

here's some of the plans I made for that Sculpture I did....

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.15.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.16.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.15.52 PM.png

I was heavily "Inspired" Daniel Arshams Slip bench

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 10.24.47 PM.png

but by the end of the project I forgot about Arsham and the original project because this Woman was building an altar ... which was this unsettling and eerie cabinet that was empty. I already knew she was going to say it was for "Tantric Bhuddism"... LOL

so I had to outevil her and call mine "Christs Casket"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom