Work Experience vs College Degree

I've had this discussion with my family a few times and just wanted to gain some further insight

My sister (who is 26) has a job with the NSA and the main reason she recieved the job was because of several internships she had in college as well her previous job. I asked her what she felt was more influential in her recieveing her new job and she told me without a doubt her work experience and not her college degree was the reason she was offered the position. My stepdad is a IT Analyst at Fannie Mae and he does not have a college degree, when discussing this with him he also informed me that while a college degree is important, especially in his profession, most companies seem favor candidates with more work experience over a candidate with a college degree.

So which one do you feel is more important, or more important in your specific field?

Has anyone ever experienced someone recieveing a job over another person simply because one had more experience and a lesser degree in contrast to the other one just having a college degree from an elite university.

I'm 19 btw

I've had this discussion with my family a few times and just wanted to gain some further insight

My sister (who is 26) has a job with the NSA and the main reason she recieved the job was because of several internships she had in college as well her previous job. I asked her what she felt was more influential in her recieveing her new job and she told me without a doubt her work experience and not her college degree was the reason she was offered the position. My stepdad is a IT Analyst at Fannie Mae and he does not have a college degree, when discussing this with him he also informed me that while a college degree is important, especially in his profession, most companies seem favor candidates with more work experience over a candidate with a college degree.

So which one do you feel is more important, or more important in your specific field?

Has anyone ever experienced someone recieveing a job over another person simply because one had more experience and a lesser degree in contrast to the other one just having a college degree from an elite university.

I'm 19 btw

as a college graduate...I would opt to say that while a college degree increases in your mind you own "status"...work experience is more important.

as a college graduate...I would opt to say that while a college degree increases in your mind you own "status"...work experience is more important.

Who You Know > *
I Have A Degree And 5+ Years Of Experience, And I Would Still Be Unemployed If I Didnt Know The Owner Of The Company I Work For

How Ever Having The Full Package Works To Ur Advantage

Who You Know > *
I Have A Degree And 5+ Years Of Experience, And I Would Still Be Unemployed If I Didnt Know The Owner Of The Company I Work For

How Ever Having The Full Package Works To Ur Advantage

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

It's not about what you know or who you know but rather who knows you.

This isnt always true. Not everyone is going to know a ceo or owner of a company but they may know managers or regular workers. I know many people that work down on wall street and at businesses in the area and they say that they can get people at the top of the interview list and put in a good word but without an internship or work experience there isnt much they can do to get you in. Obviously if you know a higher up thats different.

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

It's not about what you know or who you know but rather who knows you.

This isnt always true. Not everyone is going to know a ceo or owner of a company but they may know managers or regular workers. I know many people that work down on wall street and at businesses in the area and they say that they can get people at the top of the interview list and put in a good word but without an internship or work experience there isnt much they can do to get you in. Obviously if you know a higher up thats different.

OP,
I think both of them are equally important. However, I'll take work experience over a college degree any day. OP also look into Co-op programs in college. If you complete the Co-op program, you pretty much guarantee on being hire.  Unfortunately, it's also true with it's "who you know and not what you know".

OP,
I think both of them are equally important. However, I'll take work experience over a college degree any day. OP also look into Co-op programs in college. If you complete the Co-op program, you pretty much guarantee on being hire.  Unfortunately, it's also true with it's "who you know and not what you know".

your sister got her internships because she was enrolled in college. hence, she got her job at the NSA because of her experience in college.

your sister got her internships because she was enrolled in college. hence, she got her job at the NSA because of her experience in college.

I can only speak for myself and my experiences in one job market (DC), but a degree + experience matters a lot. I've had many casual conversations with people at happy hours around the city and many of them have stacked credentials (top 50 colleges degrees + a ton experience). Many of the people I've met have done so much more than I have in just about the same amount of time.

I can only speak for myself and my experiences in one job market (DC), but a degree + experience matters a lot. I've had many casual conversations with people at happy hours around the city and many of them have stacked credentials (top 50 colleges degrees + a ton experience). Many of the people I've met have done so much more than I have in just about the same amount of time.

Many of the top tier companies and positions only recruit from certain schools. It is who knows you, but if you want to work at say... McKinsey or Goldman, your School matters a lot. Also, the network you build at a top-tier school is a world away from the network you get from your average school.There are definitely tiers of employment, that mirror tiers of education. It's difficult to break into either if you haven't been a member of those "tiers"

Many of the top tier companies and positions only recruit from certain schools. It is who knows you, but if you want to work at say... McKinsey or Goldman, your School matters a lot. Also, the network you build at a top-tier school is a world away from the network you get from your average school.There are definitely tiers of employment, that mirror tiers of education. It's difficult to break into either if you haven't been a member of those "tiers"

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

agreed.

but a lot of times, the degree is a prereq for the job so...im thankful i have one... the job/paid internship im in was based solely on our degrees (none having anything to do wit the job of civilian logistics with the Army)

Back
Top Bottom