Working at a movie theatre??

i worked at the AMC Hoffman in Alexandria, VA.

Overall I would have to say it was alright.

If you're a high school kid looking for a job then its for you. The pay for me was pretty low and the work was kind of tiring. Ushering, being inconcession, and being in box office gets u tired after a while. But the benefits are good. For me, i can easily hook up my family members or a few friends forfree. You can watch movies for free but prepare to work the Friday/Saturday Night shifts because it gets busy during those days.

I was a Staff Lead and i almost always had to work Friday and Saturday nights. During my last month working there, I had to work the night shift on Saturdayfrom 5 pm -1am. I have to close down concession since im a lead and it left me actually leaving around 1:30 or 2 am. Not only that, but i had to open upconcession the next morning from 8 am - 5 pm. It was really unbearable for me lol thats why i quit.

Overall, if you think you can stand the work and you like getting 200-300 every two weeks, then go ahead.

Yo homie if your up for it here is what my friend did....

so he worked at AMC

He had been working there for a while so he knew were cameras were located and the supervisors schedule and all that... so on busy nights w/ no supervisors itwas time to make bank.

What he would do when working in the concession stand is he would have a towel folded up and placed directly under the cash registrar, so when people said iwant so and so he would ring them up, well he would sort of lag getting the stuff right to make them frustrated just a little, not to the point were they wouldget mad, but to the point were they just wanted to get their food and go to the movie so he would bring them the food and ask for the money, and when they leftafter giving him the money he would open the cash registrar pretending to put the money in when in actuality he would put it in the towel and since the peopleleft there was no need for receipt, honestly he would get paid about 40 dollars per night from the actual hourly wage, and he would easily pocket the sameamount if not double every time he worked.

I've been working at a movie theatre for over a year now. The job is fairly simple; serving popcorn, working the register, cleaning, refilling stock. Ithas it's stressful times (the entire summer season), but overall it's quite enjoyable, especially if you've got fun coworkers and is a goodstarting job.

It's a cool gig if you're in high school and probably in college. I worked for Cinemark and I started out as an Usher, then worked my way up to FilmProjectionist. That was a cool gig! I used to take some movie trailers home as souvenirs, since most of them get trashed or sent back. There are some benefits,such as free posters, free t-shirts/promo items when a movie is hyped up, and of course free movies!

ive actually worked at that one near the bart station since january of 06. ive stopped workin full time tho ever since january of this year cuz i got anotherjob. but i work every thursday night to screen movies
pimp.gif

but anyway, i started when i was 16 too on the floor dept./usher[where you clean the auditoriums after each show with the other floor people] if youre down toclean, then that could be coo for you cuz it's easy and you aint gotta really deal with customers as much as concession people. the latest you have to stayif youre on floor is 10 to 11pm i think, as opposed to concession where you might have to stay late like 12 or 1230, to clean up all the concession stuff. andthens there box office, where you sell the tix to the customers. theres also projection where you start the movies which is the most chill, but i dont thinkthey have that as an entry level position like the others and you gotta know more stuff and make sure the movies run coo.
but yeah, like other people said, you gotta be willing to work weekends cuz it's the busiest time for movies. and its coo if you wanna start gettin yourown money, it isnt great pay, but its a start for a 16-year-old. and hey, maybe i might see you over there.

Originally Posted by FreshMoney15

Yo homie if your up for it here is what my friend did....

so he worked at AMC

He had been working there for a while so he knew were cameras were located and the supervisors schedule and all that... so on busy nights w/ no supervisors it was time to make bank.

What he would do when working in the concession stand is he would have a towel folded up and placed directly under the cash registrar, so when people said i want so and so he would ring them up, well he would sort of lag getting the stuff right to make them frustrated just a little, not to the point were they would get mad, but to the point were they just wanted to get their food and go to the movie so he would bring them the food and ask for the money, and when they left after giving him the money he would open the cash registrar pretending to put the money in when in actuality he would put it in the towel and since the people left there was no need for receipt, honestly he would get paid about 40 dollars per night from the actual hourly wage, and he would easily pocket the same amount if not double every time he worked.

Great advice my man
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

I worked at Showcase Cinemas....first job for me at 16. Like someone mentioned, everyone your age is out while your picking up popcorn in the lobby or rippingtickets....I hated 99% of my coworkers, the managers, and 1% i did like made the job fun as hell.

freshmoney15 was right, just don't get caught doing it. the towel idea is bad. but i've had my shar:frown: was making about 50$ an hour for about a couplemonths. made more than i would from them slaving me minimum wage type 6 an hour bs. like most people said, its a highschool job for some side cash.

I work at the Largest Movie Theater in the South/South East

Rules of Thumb.

If your ugly,******ed,no people skills their gonna make you an Usher.
Working Concession is gravy besides when big movies come out then it gets hectic.
Box Office is where its at.

The Pay isnt great, but it's a sure job for when I`m home from school and I do it as a 2nd job, The best spots are Projectionist and Box Office, Box officeyou just chill and print tickets, Projectionist just clean the lenses and chill all night, but with Regal Company cinemas you'd have to become a manager b4you can do projection, but becoming a manager isn't hard.

OK let me break down the movie ticket hustle. I did this throughout high school. but it really depends on how big of a place it is. Basically the person whosweeps the theater pick up all the stubs left on the ground and give them to the box person. the box person resells the stubbs and keeps the money. you do thatto 10 people per show and you might get an extra $300 a night. 10 cats in a paked theater and they cant keep track. the only think is some patrons might blowyour spot and be like yo these are for the wrong time. you gotta be slick.

SMH at me for teaching youngsters ##$ to commit serious crimes

Haha I worked at that Century (Cinemark now) in Daly City for 2.5 years. It was whack when I started, in the box office fyi. Starting pay was $7 (back in04'), but I'm sure that is higher now. I got to assistant manager and got $8, only worked there for the title and the hook-ups. Now it's up to $10I believe for the AMs. It's not too bad, I still get the hook-ups since I know most of the managers, but yeah, all you got to do is now the system.You'll pick it up pretty quick, it's not too hard, but thing's have definitely became more strict towards the end of my stay there (07').

Box office gets out around 11-11:15pm, or whenever the managers got to cashing you out. Concessions about 12-3 AM, depending on what time the latest movie wasand how much cleaning needed to be done. Floor is usually out by 11, only have to clean the theatre before the last show, afterwards, the night janitors comein to clean the rest.

It's not all that great, but your friends will love you since you can hook them up. It's definitely a chill atmosphere. Also, get real cool with themanagers and they'll watch out for you, such as getting you more than the allowed number of free tickets, movie posters, better hours, etc. Also, it'sdefinitely a great place to start if you want to work up the ranks, or just to get the job title like I did.

Back
Top Bottom