Working Construction...A New Career?

Got my OSHA license at the end of June. The instructor passed on my info to a recruiter who was looking for a framing apprentice for a project that was less than 4 miles from my crib, and I literally started the next day. Least time consuming certification you can get I think, I did 2 five hour classes and that was it.:nthat:

So I arrive at the property, and all that's there is stacks of lumber, and a concrete basement surrounded by freshly excavated dirt. It's me and 3 other guys, two are laborers just like me and the foreman. He looks at the blueprint, whips out his measuring tape and we begin snapping chalk lines and carrying lumber to the designated spots.

The next day we begin shooting walls...a wall generally consists of two 16 foot plates, ten 8 foot studs and is pretty much common sense...the only tricky part is when they have a Window or Door in the middle, no 2 rooms are alike and call for different configurations, and boards have to be cut with a saw to specific measurements. After we set up the wall pieces, it's shot with a nail gun,then we stand it up vertically, nail it into the ground. Then the fireman climbs up on a ladder checks the level and if it's not 100% balanced we nail a cross brace to correct it.

So that went on for a week and then we started sheathing, which is a layer of plywood nailed into the studs. These boards were heavy as hell to carry, and with a combination of the sun everybody was dripping wet by lunch break, the next day I definitely brought an extra pair of jeans and multiple t shirts. And a couple days I was the only person who showed up...in the construction industry no call no shows are considered normal and you don't necessarily get in trouble, it's expected that you won't wake up some days....

Getting the first floor sheathed took an entire week, next week we started building the 2nd floor which was pretty much the same, process except we had to climb latter's and slide all the lumber up which added more difficulty. Things got "real" and I contemplated quitting when we began setting up the roof foundation trusses, to do those you have to walk on top the walls. Normally a house is built with 2x6s but due to rising lumber costs we had to use mostly 2x4 which is like walking on a tight rope high wire. I wasn't about to go out like Shane McMahon at 2001 Summerslam so instead of standing I sat down straddled the wall with my legs and "wormed" my way around. I got clowned to death, but that was better than falling to death...one day the temp reached 89 degrees and I started feeling dizzy.

After the roof was done we wrapped the whole house with Tyvek, a water proof paper that is stapled to the sheath layer. One guy measured and cut, two guys on ladders stapling, and then we all went around taping together the overlapping seams.

All in all it was a semi-lucrative experience. The first week they told us to go out and buy basic tools (measuring tape, carpenter pencil, square, hammer) and I was the only one who did. So that got me bumped up an extra $2 an hour. Then the 2nd week they recommended getting certain power tools like saws, I did and they bumped me up another $3. It was pretty expensive but after doing the math I guess it paid itself by the end of the project. The foreman, a 26 y/o who started fresh out of HS said

as soon as he was competent enough to work without supervision he was getting 1200 a week. I didn't ask him how much he makes, but I would assume at least 10-15 bands per month...he's at the point where his phone is blowing up and he actually has to turn down work.

But with all the potential for advancement there are a lot of annoying drawbacks...either you do your laundry every other day or buy stuff from the thrift store and throw it out when you go home.my first week I left a sweat soaked tee in the trunk and forgot about it, :sick: Itarted out wearing a throwaway pair of wheat Timbs...they literally aged 5 years in one day cause of all the mud. The foreman had on cowboy boots that went halfway up his legs...to combat the gravel that inevitably finds it way into normal size boots. I generally have to take em off every other hour and shake em...

My phone got soaked in the rain once and all I could hear was treble...I had to download an App that vibrated all the water out of the speaker. Then my charging port got caked up with saw dust particles...I managed to get it out, and now as a precaution put a piece of scotch tape over the port when I'm working.

So after my first month in the game I'm kinda torn in between continuing or go back into a lower paying, less problematic industry?

Any NTers been in the construction field long term?

can't answer your question but have you thought about copping some steel toe military boots and military pants?
i feel this is ultimately better gear than jeans and timbs

i was an aircraft mechanic in the military and they lasted forever

1626656516335.png

Get boots from Amazon. Their return policy is impeccable if the shoes don’t last.

Use this as a stepping stone for the future. They like you, so continue working hard to see if you will get promoted into management. You could go from being a construction worker to a foreman and then apply at another company as a supervisor or manager.

Learn as much as possible. You may be able to translate the work experience into getting side jobs on your off days. People always need things built (and fixed), so this could lead to a bright future.

Also, think about becoming an electrician or studying for HVAC on the side. If you can build the house and wire/install components, you’re more valuable to the company—and overall when it comes to your resume.

I’m a house painter and that too has it’s plus and minus. Construction does sound like fun though, hard work for damn sure but the pay is worth it.

I use to help my father and uncle do some construction and carpentry and still occasionally help.

You're basically washing those clothes 3 days a week if you don't want that funk on you and you definitely will have to designate some clothes and boots as just washed-don't-give-a-****-dirty-clothes.

When I read the thread title first thing I was gonna say is as long you're good with hard labor and being covered in dust most of the time. Its not particularly fun to me but I get why some would enjoy it. It's a hard career that can wear you down so stack your paper.

I couldn't imagine doing it in this heat this past week in NYC.

I'd suggest to tuck w/e pants/jeans you're wearing in to your boots and tie them tight.

I'm a electrician. I'm come in after the house is framed up and do my thing. Construction is great if you can find jigs around your area. If not be prepared to travel ALOT. At one point I traveling two hours one way. It's great money and I was at the point where I basically did nothing the Master electricians did all the work I just handed them tools. When I left I was making about 1200 a week plus 400 for hotels and food(I saved this and drove home every day). This was back in 2009. I can't imagine how much they make today.

The construction field is great work but you have to remember that it’s technically seasonal work. Your not guaranteed year round work and if your not working you don’t get paid. No paid days off for vacation or sick days. If your an apprentice then you are gonna get a lot of work in the beginning because you are the cheap labor. Once you turn out then the same people that were helping to train you become the same people you have to compete for jobs. Learn as much as you can and make as many connections while you’re there. Best advise is to try to apply for a city or county gig within your field of construction. Good luck and buy good gear right the first time. Don’t skimp on something like shoes. Danner, Red Wing, and Keen are all good boots.

You get used to the heat bruh. I took my wife to work today. She was dying but I’m out here like it’s normal. :lol:

I’m in paving, make enough money over the summer to chill all winter and have good benefits. I can’t complain. I work 60-80 hours a week but whatever. I’ll get it in while I can and slow down later.

now is the time to start. No one wants to do anything physical so you can work your way up fast.

you’ll have very hard days man, like days where you want to cry and walk off the job. Stick with it.

for boots I rock cowboy boots from ariat. I don’t do steel toe.

Couldn’t be me to do outdoor work in the sun all day, especially in the summer. Air conditioned indoor work >

I forgot to say, leave your phone in your lunchbox or something if its getting ruined.

get hella work clothes and just wash them once a week, I get the carhartt double front pants. yes its hot when its 100 out but they are the only pants that last me a while.

cowboy boots when its hot/muck boots when it snows but thats all preference.

I laughed at you saying people no call no show. :lol: sometimes I go MIA and will show up to work whenever like nothing happened and its all good.

HVAC, HEO, HEM, carpentry ..etc .. are perfect gigs for those that got grit and hustle.. good money don’t b a lil ***

^ plus you sit in a machine with ac more than likely in 2021 and don't have to shovel/swing a hammer etc all day.

that's why I switched, got sick of shoveling asphalt.

Randomly ran across this thread…

A few years back, I was between sales jobs after accepting a job offer with a higher base pay and seemingly more opportunities for advancement and then getting fired from said job a few months later after clashing with the ACTING sales manager who was an HR worker with ZERO sales experience. The *** fired me via text a week before my daughter’s birthday and a couple of months before the holidays. Needless to say, I was sick. 🤢🤭

I legit panicked with bills due, holidays coming, lease renewing with higher rent, etc… I had no back up plan, side hustle or the time to wait on unemployment. So I started looking for work in my field. Nothing that offered the pay I was used to was available at the time. So I started looking into other ways to get paid... hustles, work, whatever. Somehow I stumbled across cement truck driver pay and got the bright idea to get a commercial driver’s license and work my way up to driving a cement truck. It seemed like a longshot, but for some reason I accepted the challenge.

So I enrolled in a trucking school… :lol: Saying that now sounds insane, but my thinking was I could no longer pay rent and wasn’t trying to couch surf at my age. I had enough to cover rent until the lease was up (3 months) but after that, I had to figure it out. I knew the school was in Southern California and I could stay in their dorms while completing the month long training. After that I’d have to work tuition off and could sleep on the truck. That experience alone was humbling and layered with characters and f’ery, but I’ll save it for another day. I’ll sum it up by saying trucking attracts ex-cons, burnouts with limited options and dudes ducking the law.

After jumping ship when I got my CDL, because driving cross country in the winter was not a long term plan for me, I found a job in Pomona driving “locally” which really meant driving up and down the west coast weekly. I ended up finding a job opening for a cement driver in San Diego. I lied on the app, saying I had years of experience and a tanker license, which I got just in time for the first day. Keep in mind I had done all of this in a matter of months. The job was paying $40 an hour for prevailing wage work and that wage was set in stone. With overtime I felt I could make it work...

I’ll be back with the rest of the story and how the whole construction thing went later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom