Working from home vol. would you get fired

My old position allowed remote work w/ no set policy. At one point, I didn’t show up to the office for 4 months. I talked the VPs admin to get my personal mobile approved for work usage so I got work messages in my Outlook app. Would get maybe 10 messages per week and none of my older coworkers (including my boss) liked using IMs. My Lync/Skype app showed green all the time, and I’d be at the gym, running errands, walking around, matinee, or occasional pre-early happy hour. My actual work was completed in ~2 hours per day and sometime 20 mins depending on the batches I’d assign to myself. I got bored and left.

Current position is client-facing but on mandatory telework it sucks. Can’t wait to go back to the office.

how u keep Skype from going inactive? asking for a friend...

how u keep Skype from going inactive? asking for a friend...

I don’t know about Skype but on our Lync you can set your computer to never lock/go to sleep and turn off the “automatically away”. The problem is if someone IMs you and you don’t respond then it looks super suspect on your part

My job had us doing precautionary work from home for a while now. This week was my third week working from home and it gets old quick for me atleast. I used to be good with the gym still open but dawg now i gotta do with calisthenics and jogging

I’ve been working from home for a week now and I’ve been stressing on copping an acg hoodie lol. Seriously tho I wanna go back to the office. Being quarantined sucks huge knuts

Need to look like you are online at work? Fire up a PowerPoint in presentation mode and you will never show an "away" status. :nerd:

can anyone confirm?

My job also laxxed up on official work hours since people's kids have their classes canceled, etc. We just need to report what work we got done that day.

I basically do whatever I want. I'll start at 7 or something, then take a 4 hour break. As long as we submit work, it's all good.

Last edited:
Need to look like you are online at work? Fire up a PowerPoint in presentation mode and you will never show an "away" status. :nerd:

can anyone confirm?

If you have Microsoft Lync/Skype for Business
  1. Click the little gearbox in the corner
  2. Select “Tools”
  3. Click “Options” and you should get the wind below
    1584793910250.png
  4. Click “Status” and you should get the screen below
    1584793968480.jpeg
  5. Click the Show me as Inactive when my computer has been idle for this many minutes box. Enter ‘360’ in that box, which is the maximum value.
  6. the Change my status from Inactive to Away after this many minutesbox. Increase the value for that setting to 360.
  7. Press the OK button to exit the window.
You can thank me now but if you get fired for falsifying time, don’t put that on me :lol:

Government employee here. Gonna start telework monday which means i need a second monitor

I'm 80% remote normally, but I would go to Starbucks, libraries, cafe's etc. to get out of the house. With everything closed feels worse.

My department boss texted me to stop having busy on skype. Plus my supervisor does random text through the day through both the work phone and Skype. They didn’t prepare for this so they are still figuring out what work looks like, it I’m doing nothing but basically making sure I respond to their messages right now.

Worked from home yesterday and with our current living situation, I can't do it.

No dedicated space for me to work, father-in-law also WFH, and the kids thinking I have a day off was a challenge.

Maybe if we moved into our own place, it could work. But right now, I'm appreciative of the opportunity to go into the office.
Have you made a conference call from a closet yet?

that wasn’t fun.

my last project site was part of a scrum team, which emphasizes co-located teams for the most part.

we had one telework day per week from home, and the days in office were really focused.

the daily standups were a positive interaction for all of us.

My department boss texted me to stop having busy on skype.

I've heard employees get mad when their peers did that. He would say "Why does he have his status as busy? What does that mean? You think your work is that much more important? We're all busy!" Man was having none of it :lol:

I need a 2nd screen if all the craziness gon last for a while ...everything takes forever on a laptop, got damn :smh:

After first time I worked with dual screens, nothing was the same. It's almost a necessity for me if I'm not in transit unless I'm working on a very specific task in a single Microsoft Office application.

Last edited:
Ask to grab yours from your desk. I ran back to the office yesterday and they let me check mine out. Def gonna be necessary if this lasts a while.

One of my co-workers had a bunch of stuff at home (monitor, docking station, laptop, cameras, hard drives, etc.) then he got put on suspension and eventually fired via phone after the investigation. Never came back to clean up his work space and I'm pretty sure he didn't return any of the hardware :rofl: :rofl:

I'm 80% remote normally, but I would go to Starbucks, libraries, cafe's etc. to get out of the house. With everything closed feels work
That happened to me a couple weeks ago...I was in atlanta for work....my job allowed me to drive back home to Nashville thursday night..I ended up going out thursday night with a girl I used to mess with in college..she happened to be in town for work as well..but she had to catch a flight friday morning around 10..so we went out that night and did whatever..I woke up around 8, left her room, and just worked at the nearest starbucks until 6

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom