World Cup blog for soccer fans of all levels... Update: France sans Zidane

Persia, I noticed you wrote this about Nigeria...

Their best player is probably Chelsea’s Jon Obi Mikel,who has earned a reputation as one of the best young defensivemidfielders in the world. Nigeria depends on him to run its midfield,but they seem to insist on using him as a central/attacking midfielderalthough he’s clearly more comfortable playing a somewhat defensiverole. If Nigeria forces Mikel to play out of position, he may losefocus, since he’s not by any means known for his maturity.
Actually, the opposite is true. Jon Obi Mikel is a natural play-making central attacking midfielder. It's how he made a name for himself. When he joined Chelsea, they had a log jam at that position so they converted him to a defensive midfielder and some people have argued that Chelsea aren't getting the most out of Mikel's abilities. With Chelsea, he is limited to playing in a certain part of the pitch and does not have the freedom that he had playing for the Nigerian youth team.

It's kind of hard to predict where he'll play for Nigeria in the WC under their new coach. In the ACN and during WCQ, Nigeria often switched formations and so Mikel was used as a DM, CM and AM depending on the opponent. Against stronger opponents he was used exclusively as a DM, against weaker opponents, he was allowed to play AM.

It'll be interesting to see where Nigeria use him. In the first match vs. Argentina, I expect Mikel to be used as a DM, but he could be asked to play a more advanced attacking role against Korea and Greece.

You are right though, he will likely be crucial to Nigeria's success.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Persia, I noticed you wrote this about Nigeria...

Their best player is probably Chelsea’s Jon Obi Mikel,who has earned a reputation as one of the best young defensivemidfielders in the world. Nigeria depends on him to run its midfield,but they seem to insist on using him as a central/attacking midfielderalthough he’s clearly more comfortable playing a somewhat defensiverole. If Nigeria forces Mikel to play out of position, he may losefocus, since he’s not by any means known for his maturity.
Actually, the opposite is true. Jon Obi Mikel is a natural play-making central attacking midfielder. It's how he made a name for himself. When he joined Chelsea, they had a log jam at that position so they converted him to a defensive midfielder and some people have argued that Chelsea aren't getting the most out of Mikel's abilities. With Chelsea, he is limited to playing in a certain part of the pitch and does not have the freedom that he had playing for the Nigerian youth team.

It's kind of hard to predict where he'll play for Nigeria in the WC under their new coach. In the ACN and during WCQ, Nigeria often switched formations and so Mikel was used as a DM, CM and AM depending on the opponent. Against stronger opponents he was used exclusively as a DM, against weaker opponents, he was allowed to play AM.

It'll be interesting to see where Nigeria use him. In the first match vs. Argentina, I expect Mikel to be used as a DM, but he could be asked to play a more advanced attacking role against Korea and Greece.

You are right though, he will likely be crucial to Nigeria's success.

Good to know, I'd heard it both ways. Thanks for reading, always appreciate the opinions. Made some edits. 
pimp.gif

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', 'Bitstream Charter', Times, serif]
[/font]

only 2 weeks away
pimp.gif
let see how iniesta does tomorrow 
nerd.gif
 i really want to see navas and pedro get some action. Tomorrows starters look like: Casillas, Ramos, Pique, Puyol, Arbeloa, Biscuits, Xabi, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Villa. I think old man capdevilla should be in for arbeloa. 

Originally Posted by JJGRT5

only 2 weeks away
pimp.gif
nerd.gif
 i really want to see navas and pedro get some action. Tomorrows starters look like: Casillas, Ramos, Pique, Puyol, Arbeloa, Biscuits, Xabi, Xavi, Iniesta, Silva, Villa. I think old man capdevilla should be in for arbeloa. 
So Xavi is good to go? I thought he had a calf issue? 

Spain will put 4-5 goals past Saudi Arabia.
I would hope so, any team that can't qualify out of Asia should be roadkill material for a team like Spain. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saudis pulled back a goal or two though, they have some good strikers. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by JJGRT5

only 2 weeks away
pimp.gif
nerd.gif
So Xavi is good to go? I thought he had a calf issue? 
I read it on Marca 
grin.gif
nerd.gif
, im surprised too. I dont like the idea of torres coming in, they should wait a bit longer... he was just cleared midweek to resume normal practice. 

And the Saudis score! 1-0 Saudi Arabia.
Turrble defending on that corner. 
Serbia is also losing to New Zealand, but I'm not sure if they're playing starters or bench players. 

laugh.gif
three Serbian fans just ran on the field one after another and Vidic had to take the mic to try to calm them down.

Damn Chile/Bielsa is intense...

They played this morning vrs N.Ireland and won 1-0 and in just a few mins they will play a 2nd match vs Israel. 2 matches in 1 day
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom