Would Mark Jackson Make a Good NBA Coach?

Dude has been interviewing for jobs for years...most recently with the hawks...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...es/06/08/buckner.jackson/index.html?eref=sihp

he definitely knows the game of basketball but like the article above says...coaching and playing are two different things.  I personally think that if he wants to coach he needs to go be an assistant for while to get some experience.  What do you guys think, can a former player with no experience, take off the TV headphones and be a successful Head Coach?

Personally, I'd like to see him serve some time as an assistant before getting a HC job whether it's in college or the pros. He has no experience what-so-ever....even guys like Lawrence Frank and Erik Spoelstra have been assistants in their careers. Playing and coaching are 2 different things like OP said. I was strongly against St. John's hiring Jackson when his name was brought up, so I'll be very curious to see how'd he do if he is named a head coach somewhere. That would probably grind the gears of guys like Pat Ewing and Brian Shaw who have been learning the ropes as assistants on various teams around the league.

He seems like the type of coach you can see players would tune out eventually. He definitely needs to be an assistant somewhere to learn the ropes, ins and outs. That old school preaching type coaching won't fly.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Personally, I'd like to see him serve some time as an assistant before getting a HC job whether it's in college or the pros. He has no experience what-so-ever....even guys like Lawrence Frank and Erik Spoelstra have been assistants in their careers. Playing and coaching are 2 different things like OP said. I was strongly against St. John's hiring Jackson when his name was brought up, so I'll be very curious to see how'd he do if he is named a head coach somewhere. That would probably grind the gears of guys like Pat Ewing and Brian Shaw who have been learning the ropes as assistants on various teams around the league.

Hit the nail on the head.  I think he would be a great coach down the line.  I kinda disagree with Franchise saying players would tune him out, I don't think he has the Byron Scott kinda personality.  I see him as a type of coach who would bring out a lot more in a player than his talent.

More like Avery Johnson. Avery was stubborn and ran the pick and roll all day with J Kidd, even though we all know J Kidd is better in the open floor. Same with Devin Harris. Wouldn't let him fully realize his potential since he was still young. That's the kinda old school, fundamental how I used to play type coaching players would tune out.

Originally Posted by franchise3

He seems like the type of coach you can see players would tune out eventually. He definitely needs to be an assistant somewhere to learn the ropes, ins and outs. That old school preaching type coaching won't fly.
great execution being that he is a minister

anywho ive always wondered why his name is always in coaching rumors...when he played he did have a great basketball IQ and ran the offense well...he could be a good coach but i think he does need some experience first

The first time I hear "Hand down, man down" from him and I'm a player...I'm walking my +@! outta that gym and never listening to him again.

Originally Posted by kingkb34

The first time I hear "Hand down, man down" from him and I'm a player...I'm walking my +@! outta that gym and never listening to him again.
laugh.gif
  That'd be pretty funny.  Or better yet, you break your man down with an ill spin move, go to the rack, and finish over two bigs...run back on D...and as you past your bench you hear..."mama there goes that man..."

I think he'd make a decent coach if given the right situation. He'd be better with that assistant job to start off though.

I hear nothing on his commentating that warrants a head coaching job, he's always spewing nonsense and constantly disagreeing with JVG's ideas or strategies. You're not in the booth to give your coaching comments, that's why there's an actual former coach there.

He knows the game but I question how well he could coach it if given the full control. I absolutely wouldn't hire him as a head coach, but I would bring him on to assistant coach. He needs to learn the ropes, the work and planning that goes into being a head coach. I would much rather go with an experienced coach and put Jackson on the bench.

Didn't Doc Rivers start out on TNT and jumped straight to the head coaching job with Orlando????

Mark should interview for the Lakers spot when it opens up. He can suck Kobe off during timeouts. Anything to get this clown off of T.V. would be great in my book. He can take that lame Van Gundy too so his lips don't get chapped.

seems like he has a lot of wisdom/common sense. I enjoy hearing him call games. Van Gundy on the other hand
laugh.gif
that dude says whatever comes to his mind. But I think Jackson would be a great HS coach, NBA, ehhh.

Back
Top Bottom