Would you rather have a #1 receiving TE or a #1 WR?

Kinda in a different direction from the topic but you need 3 good-to-great WRs to win it all these days (in addition to a Top-10 QB). The Saints in 2009, the Packers in 2010, and now the Giants are showing that WRs that can stretch the field and open up the defense are the teams that have success. In today's NFL that caters to the passing game, you gotta throw it downfield

I can't say for sure how good the Pats would've been tonight with Gronk healthy but all season long I was skeptical of their vertical passing attack at WR. They have their 2 TE attack because they don't have vertical threats at WR.

Originally Posted by CoolNClutch

Kinda in a different direction from the topic but you need 3 good-to-great WRs to win it all these days (in addition to a Top-10 QB). The Saints in 2009, the Packers in 2010, and now the Giants are showing that WRs that can stretch the field and open up the defense are the teams that have success. In today's NFL that caters to the passing game, you gotta throw it downfield

I can't say for sure how good the Pats would've been tonight with Gronk healthy but all season long I was skeptical of their vertical passing attack at WR. They have their 2 TE attack because they don't have vertical threats at WR.
Steelers won it with Santonio and an old Hines Ward. If you can have a really solid WR and maybe a couple of ok guys you can still win. Tom Brady was winning with a mediocre receiving core. Young had Rice and a few role players (WR's were much better as a core with Joe) but if you have a solid qb, one good WR a decent running game you can win it all if your D holds up. You have to take a solid WR over a TE I think.

This is all relative. The Patriot's offense utilize the TE position really well. A high powered offense will see success in this, which is why A.Grown + Jimmy Graham flourished this season. A better question would be, whether or not you want Aaron Rodger's offense or Tome brady's offense. LOL

If I'm not mistakened, the TE often times need to learn a lot more sets because they are usually used as blockers and what not.

Originally Posted by dreClark

In what way is Jimmy more versatile than Gronk?

And Hernandez may be more multi faceted than Gronk/Graham but @ the same time there are throws and things you can do w/ Gronk/Graham that you can't do w/ AH and vice versa. But the face that the Pats have both is unfair b/c ther is literally nothing you can't do
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

except for legitimately threaten going deep...

Originally Posted by 5288

don't forget vernon davis. dude's a physical specimen. imagine if he had a real qb to throw to him consistently.

This. When Vernon set that TD record in 09 he had Shaun Hill and Alex Smith throwing to him.

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

The elite WR will open up the field for any TE though.

This, an elite WR is gonna stretch the field for everyone.... not only your for your QB but for your RB and TE....

An elite TE would be unstoppable.

If a team has an elite WR, there will be an elite DB (Revis)
pimp.gif
 to cover them. No elite LB can cover an elite TE.

Back
Top Bottom