Would You Take a Job for 65k w/ Benefits or 85k Straight Up ?

I was recently offered a job making $65,000 per year with excellent benefits (dental, health, the works) or $85,000 basiclly pay as you work.

I've already made my decision just wondering what you folks would do?

p.s. I'm 23 with a HS diploma, so for all you college dropouts out there, hold ya heads high regardless of what society says!

if they have benes it's usually a more stable company. that said I'm sure I can swing a full insurance policy (probably better than the 65k isoffering) for a lot less than 20k a year.

the 85k actually gives you a lot more freedom to find the insurance policy that's right for you with the doctors you want in their network. congrats on thejob.

65k with the benefits, depending on which company you are working for and how reliable they are.. Also if they will still be around in the future. Think aboutit.

Benefits. I have a horrible time finding personal insurance as I have preexisting conditions

Benefits should account for up to 1/3 of your "total" compensation.

Easy decision. You got kids?... it should be a no brainer.

if your rolling dolo for now i see how the 85k would be inticing ...i think at this point though id take the 65k plus benefits as depending on your situationthose benefits could far outwiegh that extra 20k

Originally Posted by infamousod

if they have benes it's usually a more stable company. that said I'm sure I can swing a full insurance policy (probably better than the 65k is offering) for a lot less than 20k a year.

the 85k actually gives you a lot more freedom to find the insurance policy that's right for you with the doctors you want in their network. congrats on the job.
If you're young (assuming this by nt membership) and mostly healthy and the company is stable, I'd go with the 85k job - you probably canfind good plan that won't eat up the extra 20k. Other things to look at are opportunities for advancement, benefits outside of health (retirement match?),and how happy you'd be at either job. Good luck!

I would get a quote on health, dental, disability, life insurance(term only, and whatever benefits that are being offered and see if that outweights 13K(don't forget taxes).

Also, usually when I think of benefits... I assume that there is a 401k plan included in those benefits.
if the 85K doesn't include a 401k..then it's a bit of a tougher choice....if it does...great....b/c you could easily max out your pre-tax benefit withyour 401k of 15K... and then end up with a pre-tax income of 70K which is easily close to 65K.

Originally Posted by Diego

What job is this?

Asset Manager - Basicly just tracking all I.T. related equipment throughout the US for the company.

I forgot to mention that the 85k doesnt give you any leave so if you miss a day of work you're taking a severe L.

85k = $40.86 per hour no 401 no leave, you just get paid for the hours you work. 65k = vacation, sick leave, 401k.

Originally Posted by flightman

What job is this?

Asset Manager - Basicly just tracking all I.T. related equipment throughout the US for the company.

I forgot to mention that the 85k doesnt give you any leave so if you miss a day of work you're taking a severe L.

85k = $40.86 per hour no 401 no leave, you just get paid for the hours you work. 65k = vacation, sick leave, 401k.
65k easy.. NO brainer

What job is this?

65k..easily

Originally Posted by ballinamillion1

you dropped out so u might wanna think about stability... just sayin :/
he raises a good point... you could take the 85k job, but if something happens in your company you will be the first one to get fired.

i would take the 65k. you're getting good benefits, and it sounds like you would be valued more within the company.

What job is this?

in that cae I'd say the $65k is the better offer. the way you've described the two, it also sounds like the more stable position. youdon't want to work for a company that might cut its losses and leave you in the cold one day. at least with the $65k it sounds like if things ever do takea turn for the worse at least you'd probably get severance of some sort as opposed to a per/hour job.

and sick days are crucial.

I'd take the salaried position... that involves the benefit of having the use of HR

85k.. you're basically a consultant

This little tidbit just sealed the deal, in my opinion. I'd take the 65k job without thinking twice.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I'd take the salaried position... that involves the benefit of having the use of HR

85k.. you're basically a consultant

This.

But I do have some friends who just work as consultants and/or on contracts.. they enjoy the freedom of a new job every 6 to 12 months.. plus, as young andhealthy dudes, they just have to get premium medical/dental insurance up here in Canada (basic medical is covered for everyone) and this doesn't amount tomuch money..

Back
Top Bottom