WOW..AT&T just sonned me. Did anyone else get this email? (Data Usage related)

I woke up to this email this morning, and was wondering if I was the only person here who was affected. Also, outside of a MiFi card what can I do?

Cliffs:
-I live in Chicago
-AT&T service is typically abysmal
-I'm in the top 5% of AT&T data users apparently
-They are threatening to slow my data speed to my device

High Data Usage Alert
Dear K**** *****,

Like other wireless companies, AT&T is taking steps to manage exploding demand for mobile data. We're responding on many levels, including investing billions in our wireless network this year and working to acquire more network capacity.

As mentioned on a previous bill, we're also taking additional, more immediate steps to help address network congestion and improve reliability. One of these steps involves a change for some customers who use extraordinarily large amounts of data in a single billing period - about 12 times more data than the average smartphone user.

For the current billing cycle, your data usage indicates you could be affected by this change. Here's how it works:

Smartphone customers with unlimited data plans may experience reduced speeds once their usage in a billing cycle reaches the level that puts them among the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. These customers can still use unlimited data and their speeds will be restored with the start of the next billing cycle.

We're writing because you are in the top 5 percent of heaviest data users for this billing cycle. Because we recognize that data usage can change from month to month, you will not see reduced speeds this billing cycle.

Beginning with your next billing cycle, we'll send you a text message if you are approaching the top 5 percent of heaviest data users. We'll also send you a second text message if you cross into the top 5 percent of heaviest users, at which point you may see reduced speeds for the rest of the month.

Customers have several ways to manage extremely high data usage.

Wi-Fi offers great speeds and doesn't add to your wireless data usage. Consider using Wi-Fi when possible for applications that use the highest amounts of data, such as streaming video apps, remote web camera apps, large data-file transfers (like video) and some online gaming.

You may also consider switching to a tiered data plan if speed is more important to you than having an unlimited data plan. Customers on tiered plans can pay for more data if they need it, and will not see reduced speeds.

To estimate how much data different activities use, and find out more about Wi-Fi or tiered data plans, visit https://www.att.com/dataplans or call Customer Care at 800-331-0500.

Go to your att account online and view your past data usage. I stay getting this email, yet I never go over 2GBs a month in usage. I'm also on a grandfathered unlimited data plan (has a 5GB softcap mind you) so there's no way I'm exceeding my data usage, unlimited or otherwise. Notice how many times "top 5%" is mentioned yet there is no gauge for what "top 5%" really is. Just a year ago AT&T outlined the top 2% as people who used more than 2GBs of data a month. It's !#+%%@*+. As long as you're not using like 10GBs a month or something like that you're good

Originally Posted by thegoat121886

Go to your att account online and view your past data usage. I stay getting this email, yet I never go over 2GBs a month in usage. I'm also on a grandfathered unlimited data plan (has a 5GB softcap mind you) so there's no way I'm exceeding my data usage, unlimited or otherwise. Notice how many times "top 5%" is mentioned yet there is no gauge for what "top 5%" really is. Just a year ago AT&T outlined the top 2% as people who used more than 2GBs of data a month. It's **+#@%!@. As long as you're not using like 10GBs a month or something like that you're good

Yeah I just checked it and I use 2077.21 MB (2077.21/1024 = 2.03GB) I'm barely over and they send this? I'm grandfathered too, but can they just slow my data down like that?

I have run my allowance to up 50+ gb(verizon) and they have never send me an email....knock on wood
happy.gif

BTW...I have home internet now

See... I thought about making a move to att ...

But still holding down this old school T-Mobile plan, fambs ..

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Time to jump on Verizon

Verizon will still slow you down if your consider to be a "5%" heavy user, but thats if you own a 3G device. If its a 4G LTE devices they won't, however Verizon does not offer unlimited Data plans.

T-Mobile slows you down as well, they say unlimited but their is a soft cap of either 2gb, 5gb, 10gb plans of which you pick.

Sprint offers unlimited data, no slow downs, no soft caps. However their signal and connection strength is by far the worst. Which is put to blame by people who like to hack their phone devices and use it as hotspot and play COD.

At&t are crooks they did raises their data prices but did raised their data usage.

Originally Posted by ricky409

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
i so wished i didn't make that the jump to At&T when the 4s dropped
grin.gif

I guess I still don't understand why we unlimited bandwidth doesn't exist. Is our infrastructure just not there, technology not there, or cost of data?

laugh.gif
I used to use about 10gbs a month when I was on sprint. ATT would have ended my contract early and kicked me out greedy clowns.

How are they offering 4g LTE if you can only use 2gbs at full speed
30t6p3b.gif

Studies show that once the 5% are capped, their bandwidth speeds are slower than EDGE.

Welcome to AT&T
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by youngcurse

Originally Posted by ricky409

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
i so wished i didn't make that the jump to At&T when the 4s dropped
grin.gif

but my SGS2 W/ unlimited 4g for $80 >>>>> your 4s with 2gb doe...

Haven't gotten that email but I do notice my data speed getting mad slow towards the end of each billing cycle. Other companies that offer unlimited plans do the same thing they just don't tell you about it. It's BS, but it's the type of thing that happens with advanced technology. 5-6 years ago not as many people were using their phones for internet, etc.. so it wasn't a problem.

I got that too.

They're playing dirty trying to get people to give up their grandfathered unlimited data plans.

Been a good paying customer, dropping $100 + every month for a decade and this is how they repay me.

Good thing my contract is up at the end of this month.

If they don't come right, I'm jumping ship and taking some more customers with me.

Tmobiles been doing this for a while now...towards the end of every billing cycle my data would be slow as fuark

With how accessible Wi-Fi is nowadays...this doesn't really affect me at all.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Originally Posted by Chicagos Finest 23

Time to jump on Verizon

Verizon will still slow you down if your consider to be a "5%" heavy user, but thats if you own a 3G device. If its a 4G LTE devices they won't, however Verizon does not offer unlimited Data plans.

T-Mobile slows you down as well, they say unlimited but their is a soft cap of either 2gb, 5gb, 10gb plans of which you pick.

Sprint offers unlimited data, no slow downs, no soft caps. However their signal and connection strength is by far the worst. Which is put to blame by people who like to hack their phone devices and use it as hotspot and play COD.

At&t are crooks they did raises their data prices but did raised their data usage.
Glad I got on that before they stopped offering them 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom