Wrestling Thread April 14-May 4 | 5/3 WWE Extreme Rules PPV Prediction Contest Now Open!

Johnny HotBody is your dad?..Just looked him up and he was the 1st ECW Triple Crown Champion!..That's crazy..I'm almost positive I've seen him on some of the early ECW shows I watched..

yup first triple crown. he also doesn't get any credit for bringing ecw to the arena. it was himhe brokered that deal.

I can't be mad at anyone who isn't as high on Eddie as I am. I mean due to the nature of the sport compiling a list is probably the most debatable thing I can think of.
Don't get me wrong I think you are crazy but its cool.

I leave you with this nasty suplex on Eddie by the lion heart.

Last edited:
Jeff Jarrett
Ron Garvin
Jack swagger
Miz

miz main evented mania and beat cena. like what were they thinkin. another guy who deserved it was magnum t.a but we all know it was going to eventually happen if not for the accident. such ashame.

Last edited:
I think that question about who should've never been world champ should be limited to pre-2000..There are so many guys in the past decade+ that shouldn't have even been able to sniff the world belt..

The most recent I can think of..
-Miz
-Khali
-Swagger
-Mark Henry
-Big Show
-Sheamus
-Del Rio

Say what you want about Luger but his 96/7 work with the nwo is almost untouchable

I won't go that far, but his work during that time was very solid..I always liked Luger and thought he was a pretty good talent for how much muscle he carried around..I think the big thing that most people get down on Lex for was his lack of respect for the business..If he had a better attitude then he would've learned more because his fellow wrestlers would have been more inclined to work with him on his in ring skills..

I think that question about who should've never been world champ should be limited to pre-2000..There are so many guys in the past decade+ that shouldn't have even been able to sniff the world belt..

The most recent I can think of..
-Miz
-Khali
-Swagger
-Mark Henry
-Big Show
-Sheamus
-Del Rio

Ehhh, I'll say Big Show deserved it simply for being a dude his size who could always been turned into a monster, even if it is for transitional reigns. Mark Henry was a throwback monster heel that should be the blueprint for any other monster heels going forward. Sure, he didn't have any 5 star matches, but his legit presence and tough talk during matches made everything believable.

Khali :x :x :x

Raw was ok this week. DBry was obviously missed.

- I like this Wyatt/Cena feud. Their characters are so different I think it makes for good TV.

- Fandango stole Peeps women :nerd:

- Evolutions theme :pimp:

- A Reigns/Triple H feud could work if done right.

Del Rio was more than deserving. His in ring work is amazing and Ricardo was the missing mouthpiece for him

I guess I could get with this too. It's just that his character has been stripped of everything and he's been so bland for so long it's easy to forget how good he is in the ring. I guess that failed face run did him in.

Del Rio was more than deserving. His in ring work is amazing and Ricardo was the missing mouthpiece for him

ADR has just never been able to connect with the fans (word to Dolph)..Even as a heel he wasn't the top one during his runs with the belt..

And Henry just shouldn't be called a world champ..I'm sorry but outside of a short period of time when he was doing good promos he's never been that good to me..It's not like he was a super heavy weight doing things comparable to Vader or Bam Bam or even One Man Gang..I've just never thought much of him, but to those of you do I ain't even mad..Different strokes for different folks..

And Big Show is borderline at best IMO..I think giving him IC runs or tag team title runs is fine, but just not the big belt..

WWE loves their big men, its no surprise that these guys get runs.

Miz on the other hand is just terrible.

Watch Y2J's debut and segment with the Rock
pimp.gif
possibly the greatest debut in history.

on the miz thing,i remember seeing him on road rules on mtv or some **** saying how he wants to be a wrestling star and he wont stop till he becomes one,i remember thinking this dudes a clown and will never make it in the business what a loser.little did i know 
mean.gif
mean.gif

I liked the Miz when he was carrying the briefcase and when he cashed in and for a while when he was champion.

Sue me.

WrestleMania PPV Buys Give New Perspective to Potential WWE Network Success
By David Bixenspan , Featured Columnist
Apr 16, 2014

Tweet
7 Shares

Next ARTICLE »
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse more stories
WrestleMania PPV Buys Give New Perspective to Potential WWE Network Success
Jonathan Bachman
Reads
Comments

One of the big questions going into WrestleMania 30 was just how much WWE Network launching in the United States would impact traditional pay-per-view business. Obviously, there would be a drop, but just how much? The cannibalization of the existing PPV revenue stream is a big part of why the break-even point on the Network is somewhat high at about 1 million subscribers.

Last week, the morning after WrestleMania, WWE announced that they had 667,287 subscribers, not much more than the 662,000 fans in the U.S. and Canada who ordered WrestleMania 29 last year. Since the WWE Network number doesn't include Canada, it's not a direct comparison, but it led to some questions about whether or not it was its ceiling.

Those questions were at least partially answered yesterday when WWE issued a press release announcing that "nearly 400,000 domestic pay-per-view buying homes" purchased WrestleMania 30. With how the U.S./Canada figures are often classified as "domestic," I followed up with WWE for a clarification, and this figure is indeed just for U.S. homes so far, with the number of Canadian purchases not released yet.

Canada is also skewed by the availability of WWE shows in movie theaters across the country—tickets aren't counted as PPV buys. So again, it's not a 100 percent perfect apples-to-apples comparison yet, but it gives us a good idea of where we stand.

Jonathan Bachman

WrestleMania is an outlier, so it's not as much of an accurate predictor of how the rank-and-file shows would do as Extreme Rules will be. Still, it shows that more American fans were willing to pay for WrestleMania than there have ever been before, and it's very promising news for WWE.

The biggest questions are:

How many of the ~400,000 PPV buyers can be converted into WWE Network subscribers?
Is the overlap between fans willing to buy the traditional PPV shows and fans willing to buy WWE Network much smaller than we all thought?
Why didn't more fans buy WWE Network?

The first question is tricky and leads into the second, which itself leads into the third question. In January, WWE told the Associated Press that about 800,000 to 1 million homes buy two to three WWE PPV shows annually. The big takeaway was that, depending on how WrestleMania is factored in and if the PPV was ordered in HD, there were about a million homes willing to spend $135 to $180 annually on WWE. WWE Network is $9.99/month with a six-month commitment. In theory, barring the occasional fan in a rural area without broadband internet access, there was no obvious barrier in place to getting those fans to spend about $120 annually on WWE Network and get a much better value.

Have you personally interacted with anyone who...
...thought WWE Network was a cable/satellite channel? ...thought WWE Network was not available for viewing on television sets? Both. Neither. Submit Vote vote to see results

In practice, it's not that easy. Between comments here, tweets, and a number of anecdotes, it's clear that a lot more WWE fans than you'd think don't understand how the service works. Some think it's a cable/satellite channel that their provider isn't carrying. Others, not realizing it can be watched on their TVs via a number of devices, think it's designed for laptops and mobile devices and thus didn't want to have to watch WrestleMania on their iPads.

If a significant number of fans (since we don't have U.S.-only numbers for past WrestleManias, let's just say two-thirds for now), were willing to buy WrestleMania last year and this year, but not the Network, WWE may have more time for its Network to breathe. Even before the subscription numbers came in, I was expecting WrestleMania to come in at about 200,000 buys for the U.S. and Canada, and it looks like WWE more than doubled that.

This all leads me to believe that the idea that the Network numbers revealed the number of fans willing to buy WrestleMania was static regardless of price wasn't sound. On the contrary, a lot more bought it than last year.

The new questions this brings up, which can only be answered by WWE doing new market research, are where did the extra 400,000-plus (Canada being the "plus") fans come from? Are they weekly Raw and/or SmackDown viewers (the shows have less overlap than you'd expect)? Were they lapsed fans? Were they the semi-lapsed fans who only come back for WrestleMania season? Are they lapsed fans brought back into the fold by the archival content?

On top of that, if a similar percentage buys the traditional PPVs relative to last year on the rank-and-file shows like Extreme Rules, than the concerns about cannibalization of PPV revenue aren't nearly as serious as anticipated. WWE would have time that it didn't seem like it had before to convert fans over to the Network.

When we get the number of PPV buys for Extreme Rules and Payback, it's going to be VERY interesting.

I liked the Miz when he was carrying the briefcase and when he cashed in and for a while when he was champion.

Sue me.

I actually liked that Miz started from the very bottom and worked his way up gradually winning titles in natural progression how you're supposed to, but a lot of times he comes across as an actor playing a wrestler instead of just being a wrestler. And he's ****** up the Figure 4 several times, that's :rolleyes :x

Back
Top Bottom