Wrestling Thread Feb 20-26 | 2/24 Beware, There is a Criminal (Lobo) Lurking in this Thread

20120219_ec_rawchamber_punkwin_c2.jpg
20120219_ec_undertaker_pkg_c.jpg

Last night was the final PPV before WrestleMania, Elimination Chamber.  The show was a major letdown, certainly not living up to Elimination Chambers of previous years.  It felt like WWE already had their plans set for WrestleMania, but because of the schedule, they were forced to put on a PPV last night.  That's fine sometimes, but when you're wasting maybe your biggest stipulation match, that's bad for business.  There were no title changes, which is usually a positive as titles change far too often, but I think the build to Mania would have worked much better with Punk chasing Jericho as champion.  Here's my quick rundown of the show.

• CM Punk won the Raw Elimination Chamber Match to retain the WWE Title.  Punk and Kofi started the match.  Ziggler was in next and his role was basically to take stupid bumps onto the metal.  Truth didn't play a role in the match.  Jericho was in last.  After Jericho eliminated Kofi, he continued to beat him.  Punk kicked Jericho in the head knocking him out of the chamber.  Jericho took a worked fall where he was "knocked out" which took him out of the match.  Punk defeated Miz to win the match in a flat finish because no one believed Miz was winning.
  • Beth Phoenix d Tamina Snuka to retain the Divas Title.  Better than most divas matches.  Tamina is green but has a lot of talent.
  • They showed Jericho backstage getting medical attention which seemed to tease he would do something later in the night, but that never happened.
  • John Laurinaitis came out with David Otunga to make his huge, game changing announcement.  Well, there was no announcement.  Deo Rio, Henry, and Christian came out and endorsed Laurinaitis which seems to be leading to a Laurinaitis vs Teddy Long feud.  There was no reason for this to be on the PPV.
  • Daniel Bryan won the Smackdown Elimination Chamber to retain the World Heavyweight Title.  Wade Barrett and Big Show started the match, and this dragged badly and killed the crowd.  Rhodes was in next, but the crowd didn't come alive until Santino came in.  Khali was in 5th, and was immediately eliminated with a spear from Show.  Show broke into the top of Daniel Bryan's pod and attacked him before Bryan officially entered.  The final two were Bryan and Santino.  The crowd was going nuts for Santino.  Bryan locked in the Labell Lock.  Santino almost Hulked out, but Bryan locked it in tighter and got the win.  Sheamus came out after the match and attacked Bryan setting up their match for Mania.
  • Terrible comedy backstage with Natalya cutting the cheese, setting up the next match.
  • Jack Swagger d Justin Gabriel to retain the US Title in a throwaway 3 minute match.
  • John Cena d Kane in an AMBULANCE Match.  They immediately fought to the ambulance.  They fought back and forth between the ambulance and the ring.  Kane used his death claw a few times.  Cena wheeled Kane in a wheelchair into a table in a stupid looking spot.  The finish saw the two guys go on top of the ambulance.  Cena hit the AA throwing Kane off the top of the ambulance to the floor on a crash pad.  Cena threw Kane into the ambulance winning the match and rising above hate.  No Eve or Ryder.
A very forgettable show, and a thumbs down from me.  It's so simple how WWE should use the Elimination Chamber.  The winner of the Rumble immediately chooses who he is facing at Mania.  You now have a 2+ month build for one title match at Mania.  Then, all of the top contenders in WWE enter a SINGLE Elimination Chamber match to determine the contender for the other title.  The Chamber Match would mean more, and you would set up a new tradition to look forward to each year, just like the Rumble.

Tonight is the official start of the Road to WrestleMania.  A few things we can expect tonight:

• The Undertaker will be at tonight's show to confront HHH.  We'll see what hairdo, or lack there of, Taker is working with tonight.  
  • The Rock will NOT be at tonight's show.
  • WWE was confiscating all anti-Cena signs at last night's PPV.  Their goal is to keep Cena as a face and get an even 50/50 crowd split for the match at Mania.  Have they been hanging out with Evan Bourne?  Cena would get booed anywhere, but they are in MIAMI.  It's going to be weeks of wasted time trying to make Cena come across as a face when it's an unwinnable battle.
  • They have to keep Zack Ryder off TV tonight, right?
  • They are moving towards Beth Phoenix vs Kharma at Mania.  Kharma may return tonight.
  • CM Punk retained the title.  How do they set up that Jericho is the #1 contender at Mania?  Especially after how weak Jericho looked last night.  I am considering Jericho's return a huge disappointment thus far.
  • Sheamus will probably be there to officially announce his match with Bryan at Mania.
  • And of course we'll get Cena and Rock video packages.
  • There will be a new Hall of Fame inductee announced tonight.

Shaq has confirmed he will be at WrestleMania, but he did not mention if he'll actually be wrestling.

Raw's leading to Mania are usually very good.  It has to be better than last week, right?  RIGHT?

Hope tonight really jump starts the road to mania.

I think Taker will have a short do like the big evil days.

We should foam a NT writing team to see if we are any better than the current writers.

Originally Posted by 4wrestling

• CM Punk retained the title.  How do they set up that Jericho is the #1 contender at Mania?  Especially after how weak Jericho looked last night.  I am considering Jericho's return a huge disappointment thus far.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]the show blew hard...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]jericho's return is a bust (big surprise)... anyone every find out She, has his "master plan" started, the world end yet?... gotcha...[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]I'm glad Bryan get's to work with someone who isn't as much of a Giant. personally the only two people who have been money for the last few months are himself and ziggler. but with zigglers god awful booking and squash match at the rumble it just leaves me so uninterested in most thing wwe are doing right now. [/color]

Originally Posted by RKO2004

We should foam a NT writing team to see if we are any better than the current writers.

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]there's really no need to see... i have 4 of us off the top of my head that would kill the writing department. but that's not really the issue with everything...[/color]

Completely missed out on the PPV last night. I've heard mixed reviews on different matches but overall it doesn't seem I missed much. I want to go back and watch the Chamber matches because I'm a big fan of the stipulation and I've heard Santino has been getting rave reviews for his performance.Looking forward to Raw tonight.Oh and how cool is it to say Daniel Bryan and CM Punk will both be defending the World titles at Wrestlemania.

Tonights episode will be pretty good..WWE knows they gave us a weak ppv last night and will make up for it tonight..It's the RR all over again..

Like they were saying last night on The LAW, this should have been the show that Jericho made his comeback. Since he has returned he has done absolutely nothing and has looked weak at doing so. Seeing where this angle is now there's no reason Jericho should have came back in January. 

Originally Posted by chillainvillain

Is it safe to say that this will be Takers last Wrestlemania match?
nerd.gif

If they can do a Taker/Lesnar match, I think they definitely will.

The should have only one chamber match at the PPV. Put a combo of five guys from Raw and SD in the chamber match, leaving one spot open. The rumble winner should announce which champion he's going after during the PPV. The champion he doesn't face gets put in the chamber to defend his title.

Should a guy not on the brand of the champ win the match its no biggie, since being on a brand really doesn't matter anymore, unless they make it being on a brand a big deal after this upcoming draft after WM...

4w i really like your idea for "reinventing" the EC and making it something to look forward to, if the WWE dId that it would totally revamp the ECHere's to a good RAW

Originally Posted by masondid

The should have only one chamber match at the PPV. Put a combo of five guys from Raw and SD in the chamber match, leaving one spot open. The rumble winner should announce which champion he's going after during the PPV. The champion he doesn't face gets put in the chamber to defend his title.

Should a guy not on the brand of the champ win the match its no biggie, since being on a brand really doesn't matter anymore, unless they make it being on a brand a big deal after this upcoming draft after WM...

I like this idea as wEll

Fueled by Bloody Marys & Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA's I purchased EC and watched in drunken pain as the WWE stole my hard earned money and spit in my face. But like a battered wife I will go back and will be tuning into RAW ce soir. Damn you Vince and damn you alcohol.

Originally Posted by chillainvillain

Is it safe to say that this will be Takers last Wrestlemania match?
nerd.gif

His last Wrestlemania match will be at the 30th anniversary of WM. 

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

4w i really like your idea for "reinventing" the EC and making it something to look forward to, if the WWE dId that it would totally revamp the EC Here's to a good RAW
As do I. The match would be so much better because there would be more on the line than JUST a title. 

Raw should be good this week if WWE knows whats good for them.

Nothing could've save the elimination chamber this year.. the wwe already had their mind set on who was going to head into wrestlemania as the wwe champion and the world heavyweight champion..

Back
Top Bottom