Wrestling Thread September 1st-3rd/ Weekend Edition/ Mae Young Classic Available Now First 4

iFrUQGY.gif

tumblr_ntz5ixvRrs1rnjfjfo1_r1_400.gif

wlyiTiO.gif

EdQxhFd.gif

eGZ16mZ.gif

1JUm3wr.gif

pW14QZ5.gif

xyfKPJQ.gif

sppSNvq.gif

D Fly D Fly

BxEmAKN.gif

PotableKnobbyImago.gif

SpJnvxB.gif

AqJkGPZG.gif

71umqeQ0.gif

wasn't SS already 6hrs last with the preshow stuff?
might take the day off on Mon LOL

Don't know if anybody remembers Van Hammer from WCW (The Flock, Misfits in Action), but this is a pretty good article on him. Looks totally different. He retired 2 years after WCW got bought out, then had a 1-off match in 2009 and that was it.
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/lifestyles/putting-down-the-hammer/NqGcYbHdbhMlufw8bM55OP/

Great read on Van. The end where he says when people recognize him just reminded me what Kidman told me when I met him recently. When I recognized him I asked if he was Kidman and he replied "in another life, yeah I was."

I don't think as fans we mean disrespect when we meet our heroes or people we look up to and idolize, but when is it ok to separate the character from the person? Outside of the ring I know these people's real names and some things about them, even if I am not a person that relates to them in a more intimate way or know them on a more personal level, so how are to really address them when how we know them in most ways is the "character" they play yet is certainly an aspect culled from their own personality or self.

I got in an argument with a buddy of mine who is a big wrestling fan as well because I refer to many of the Japanese performers I have followed for years by their in ring names in Japan and not the ones they use here, though I flip flop from time to time. So Kenta, Kana, Kairi Hojo, etc. He takes offense to that saying I am disrespecting them by NOT using their new domestic personas but in many of these cases, that is ACTUALLY their names.

Sorry for the philosophical rant guys, this is how my brain works lol.

Great read on Van. The end where he says when people recognize him just reminded me what Kidman told me when I met him recently. When I recognized him I asked if he was Kidman and he replied "in another life, yeah I was."

I don't think as fans we mean disrespect when we meet our heroes or people we look up to and idolize, but when is it ok to separate the character from the person? Outside of the ring I know these people's real names and some things about them, even if I am not a person that relates to them in a more intimate way or know them on a more personal level, so how are to really address them when how we know them in most ways is the "character" they play yet is certainly an aspect culled from their own personality or self.

I got in an argument with a buddy of mine who is a big wrestling fan as well because I refer to many of the Japanese performers I have followed for years by their in ring names in Japan and not the ones they use here, though I flip flop from time to time. So Kenta, Kana, Kairi Hojo, etc. He takes offense to that saying I am disrespecting them by NOT using their new domestic personas but in many of these cases, that is ACTUALLY their names.

Sorry for the philosophical rant guys, this is how my brain works lol.

Agree with every bit of that, especially the bolded. I've only recently started referring to Kenta as Itami. Took awhile for me to refer to Kana as Asuka as well.

JCMojica24 JCMojica24
I am telling you man, gonna be a Halloween baby boy!

Peep Game Peep Game So I am curious what camp you might sit in, fans should respect the performers choice of new "stage name", it is ok to use the name that you became familiar with them, or use their real name, or a mixture of and it isn't a biggy.

I ultimately don't feel it disrespectful, as we don't call Brad Pitt "Tyler Durden" were we to meet him, even though he obviously played that role. To some extent wrestlers are actors, that is kind of how I perceive it, though they are just as much an athlete/combat participant also.

I dunno, it is a funky gray area.

JCMojica24 JCMojica24
I am telling you man, gonna be a Halloween baby boy!

Peep Game Peep Game So I am curious what camp you might sit in, fans should respect the performers choice of new "stage name", it is ok to use the name that you became familiar with them, or use their real name, or a mixture of and it isn't a biggy.

I ultimately don't feel it disrespectful, as we don't call Brad Pitt "Tyler Durden" were we to meet him, even though he obviously played that role. To some extent wrestlers are actors, that is kind of how I perceive it, though they are just as much an athlete/combat participant also.

I dunno, it is a funky gray area.

I wouldn't use real names just for the whole kayfabe thing. And it would be kinda weird if you did anyway, "hey Nick (Dolph)", "hey Ettore (Big E)" :rofl:

Yeah, I forget who said it(it was quite a while ago) but wrestlers really don't like when you call them by their real name. Guess it's an unwritten rule type thing to keep kayfabe.

** **** went on a little rant about people calling him Phil on some interview a couple years ago

drewdioxin2345 drewdioxin2345

I find it hilarious that your friend uses the word DISRESPECTFUL when describing what you do with the names.

I guess it is real to him

Oh it is super real to him lmao. But he also has sipped the kayfabe kool-aid forever. I think it is dead, no matter how much people kind of try to bend to it.

I certainly wouldn't address anyone by their first name, no way. I was raised to always address people as Mr. and Mrs./Ms. and their last name, but I certainly get that within the business their is some sort of protocol.

Thus far I have been caught at work meeting any of the performers I have met recently so my brain just defaulted to their performing name, like Kidman, Kofi Kingston, I did call Samoa Joe just "Joe". But for the Japanese performers I would probably refer to them by their surnames and the appropriate -san suffix as a form of respect.

Oh good lord. They need to know they're not the NFL
lat time i went to a raw heat taping **** was 5 and a half hours

needless to say i never went to another raw taping again

two hours is great. three hours is overkill for a tv wrestling show. 4 hours is dreadful. but 5? was like getting tazed in the nuts while waiting at the dmv

Back
Top Bottom