Wrestling Thread June 1st-4th/Post Extreme Rules Discussion

2lasnl3.jpg

D Fly D Fly

What noobill is this?

Cruiser weights have a horrible schedule in wwe. House show Fri, house show Sat, house show or ppv sun, raw Mon, 205 live Tues. And I doubt they get a ton of money.

...Going to RAW a week from tomorrow...not looking forward to the Cruiserweights, planned bathroom break.

***KMD in 2017***

Cruiser weights have a horrible schedule in wwe. House show Fri, house show Sat, house show or ppv sun, raw Mon, 205 live Tues. And I doubt they get a ton of money.
I thought about that the other day. There could be something to tagging the cruisers as "the hardest working division in the sport" or something similar.

Excerpts from a recent Simon Gotch interview

On the WWE Roster watching The Final Deletion backstage: "Chris Jericho had actually been given an advanced copy of it because Matt had done his podcast and he gave him a copy of it. So when we were over in Japan for a couple days, he was showing it to us. He was telling us that this video's insane, it's insane, it's insane, it's insane. So we had a viewing and Cena sees everybody laughing and asks what's going on. And we were like, "Oh, we're watching this Matt Hardy video." And he asked how it was. I said, "Try and imagine the worst thing you've ever seen WWE do. Then imagine if somehow it was good." And he looks at me for a second and he goes, "I don't want to come in halfway. Please tell me when it is over. I would like to watch it." So it finishes and we're all dying laughing because it's just the most insane thing anyone's ever seen. I actually brought it up to Chris and found out he ended up bringing it up to Matt at Mania. If you watch the video when he lights the fire, Matt actually gets engulfed in a ball of flame for a second. If you watch it closely when he throws the fire down, pay attention to Matt. Don't look at Jeff, don't look at the fire. Look at Matt. The fire comes up and engulfs him. And he was like, "Yeah! No one noticed that! We were doing it, it took all day and we were losing the gasoline. They were like you just gotta go, just do it. And we just went and did it. It got all over me!" And so it was just one of those where it was just a complete accident, but apparently not a lot of people noticed it. I came back in later, Cena was watching the video, he looked at me and said, "You are absolutely right.""
On getting their original entrance theme from NXT changed: "The weird thing was we were never told they were changing it. I like the original music, we picked it out the day we debuted. But it was one of those weird things where they never told us they were changing the music. One day it was just like hey, here's your music. I think if you actually watch the first match we came out to to that music, our entrance is exactly the same as it was to our original music because we didn't know that they were changing it. So we go out there and we do it. It was a very odd experience because we realize they changed it on us. We didn't know that, so we had to adjust our entrance accordingly. We did that the next match, but there was the one where it debuted and we were very confused by it when it happened initially."
On working out with Mojo Rawley: "If you're traveling with Mojo Rawley, he's a very charming man, surprisingly. If you ever see him in person, he could charm the pants off of a snake. Considering snakes don't wear pants, it's a pretty impressive achievement. He'd go in and he could talk people up. The more humble guys, if it's someone like me or Kalisto, we'd be like, "Hey, I'm with WWE. I'm in town for the day." And they won't realize what you said. And they'll be like, "Okay, ten bucks." We give them the ten bucks and go work out. Mojo would be like, "Hey man, I'm with WWE! World Wrestling Entertainment! We're doing a show in town tonight! There's gonna be chicks! It's gonna be a party! Yo, you guys should come out! We wanted to work out, is there any chance we could work out in your gym today?" "Oh yeah, man! Cool! You guys can work out here! That's cool! I love wrestling!" So it was always that the more quiet guys, we tend not to get that treatment. (laughs) We're not necessarily as bombastic and putting it over so big. A guy like Mojo would go way over the top. That was always a bonus just being around Mojo when it came to lifting."

Link to full interview

Osw review us the best thing in Wrestling. I've watched every episode countless times and never gets old. Great chemistry, great jokes, witty humor. Two thumbs way.
Do you guys follow OSW on youtube? It's a pretty great review video commentary set up. By far the best one is Halloween Havoc 95. Makes me miss how crazy wrestling used to be.

Great read from Vice that puts into words a lot of thoughts I've had on the evolving style of the sport and how it has changed the nature of injuries. It spotlights the contemporary popularity of the (aptly named) suicide dive, but goes into how the more high octane offenses today are leading to more serious injury!

Quote:

One of the striking things about watching old pro wrestling is how much more slowly it moved even 20 years ago. The athleticism was almost all cardio and feats of strength, with burly men (and more rarely, women) asked to lift other burly men up in the air for 40 plus minute endurance tests...it was relatively rare for serious in-ring injuries to occur prior to about 1991.

Article: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/a-plea-to-wrestlers-stop-doing-the-suicide-dive-so-much
Naturally I find aerial aces and car crash stipulation matches as exciting as anyone else, but it's really something to think about when it's becoming routine for competitors to spend a good 3 months on the shelf yearly.

Last edited:
Great read from Vice that puts into words a lot of thoughts I've had on the evolving style of the sport and how it has changed the nature of injuries. It spotlights the contemporary popularity of the (aptly named) suicide dive, but goes into how the more high octane offenses today are leading to more serious injury!

Quote:
Naturally I find aerial aces and car crash stipulation matches as exciting as anyone else, but it's really something to think about when it's becoming routine for competitors to spend a good 3 months on the shelf yearly.

.....dive

But in all seriousness good points are made. Those big spot moves should be saved for special occasions. If you see the Canadian Destroyer every night it loses it's significance. Moves just aren't protected any more like they used to be.

You don't have a lot of freakish large brutes like in the 80s going into the 90s because of the steroid trials. So the flow had to change and it led to smaller more athletic performers who could do more because they weighed 200 not 350.

It's too far gone at this point to revert back though. Orton uses restholds and look at the flack he gets. I think a big part is just to work safer and be more considerate woth what you do in the ring. Make it mean something. Look at Jericho who has been largely healthy over a long career.

Last edited:

Quote:

They should've banned it a long time ago. These guys/girls taking a super unnecessary risk for a spot that never looks good anyway. Benoit had the best looking one and well yeah… [emoji]128534[/emoji]

Back
Top Bottom