X

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: Closing it up here, I think it's pretty unanimous as to what the next move should be. Appreciate it!

Last edited:
Welcome to everyone else's reality (for the most part).

Take that 30K loan out and finish school bro.

absolutely do not quit or wing it. job market is hard enough as it is for folks with degrees, it's hell for most without.

finish what you started my dude.

School is your best investment as of now. It will pay off in the end. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Welcome to everyone else's reality (for the most part).

Take that 30K loan out and finish school bro.

absolutely do not quit or wing it. job market is hard enough as it is for folks with degrees, it's hell for most without.

finish what you started my dude.

Ahhhh...this is the point where the gubmit wants you to join the military. Unfortunately the system is set up this way for lots of young men and women these days. No economic prospects so you either go fight their wars or put yourself into infinite student loan debt.

Last edited:
You're a senior in Marketing and haven't gone out for any internships??

Bruh take out that loan, get off your ***, and get on your grind.

You sound like every college dude ever.

You're a senior in Marketing and haven't gone out for any internships??

It's different for me. I'm a senior due to sheer amount of credits I got from the 2-yr program and A&M comp.engi time (see tl;dr block of text). In the marketing program alone, I'm technically a freshman, but I've set up my degree plan to finish in 4 semesters with intense coursework and summer semesters (AKA 1 more year). Not to point where internships apply to me, but I definitely will when it comes up. 

Last edited:
Military is callin your name bra

I have a cuz that's a few days younger than me dude joined the Air Force at 20 he's 24 now with a pad in Vegas livin life...

certain branches do have loan forgiveness up to $65k, if your loans are federally-backed, but just throwing that out there...

Don't ask a board full of strangers for life changing advice. Talk to your parents, and figure out your next move based on their advice.

Don't ask a board full of strangers for life changing advice. Talk to your parents, and figure out your next move based on their advice.
I just wanted to see if anyone's gone through any of the choices I brought up and if they regretted it or think it's best. I've done what you suggested though, and ofc school is their suggestion. Just trying to get perspective. 

certain branches do have loan forgiveness up to $65k, if your loans are federally-backed, but just throwing that out there...
Looked into this. Apparently you're eligible only after 120 payments w/ full time employment. Might be helpful, depending on how much the minimum payment is. Repped. 

Quote:

I have a cuz that's a few days younger than me dude joined the Air Force at 20 he's 24 now with a pad in Vegas livin life...

What college do you attend now?
University of North Texas. 

It doesn't work out that way for everyone though bruh. He could've very well been in North Dakota sucking **** from cargo aircraft.

That marketing degree with a computer engineering background has potential to be lucrative.

Market the hell out of that.

It sounds as if you're in the same position the majority of College students find themselves in.

My advice - do not quit school. Look into applying for additional grants, scholarships, etc. After that, go after that loan. In all honesty, $30k isn't going to take you a life time to pay off, and if you get on your grind after you graduate, it should take you a few years to pay off. Then you have a life time to enjoy your career debt free. Also, if i remember correctly, specific student loans give you a grace-period of time where you don't have to pay after you graduate. This could give you an opportunity to save money, and be a bit more stable financially.

This is all dependent on you getting started on your career immediately after graduation. This means finding an internship, and networking, is a must.

Last edited:
It doesn't work out that way for everyone though bruh. He could've very well been in North Dakota sucking **** from cargo aircraft.

Funny u say that I got a homeboy that is stationed in North Dakota after being stationed in alaska...he loves it & tried to get me sign up for the Air Force...before I got in my field I was on the verge of getting in the military

NT fam, I’m at a crossroads rn, and I’m not sure what to do anymore.

Paragraphs4days if you actually want to get background on my situation:

A quick summary of my current life setup so the rest of the situation makes sense, I’m a 20 y/o college student (senior) in Marketing, about a year from graduating. I live at home, and while my family isn’t struggling financially, we’re not well-to-do either. Pretty much the spitting image of middle class. Because of this, I’ve always tried to find ways to save money where I could, be less of a burden on the fam and whatnot.  I’m actually only able to attend uni because one my parents is a professor at the university, allowing me to apply for a dependent scholarship.

Alright, so enough of the family background. For most of my early life I thought I wanted to be in the tech-related field, be a programmer, etc., so when I was about 15 one of my high school teachers told me about this program at a local uni that would let me take two years of math/science related college courses and I’d finish with a high school diploma and two years-worth of core credits. So I saw my current situation as such:  

View media item 1365210

Shave off two years of high school, go to this two year program, graduate two years after. I would be 19 at graduation and save tens of thousands (only had to pay for required residency), so I couldn’t say no. Thing is, when you’re 16 you’re not mature. Living on campus surrounded by college kids living the college life? Needless to say I made mistakes and I had to leave the program a semester before completion. Fast forward, quick stint at Texas A&M for computer engineering. It taught me that I didn’t want to be in the tech field, but I loved designing the programs and tech during my stay. Decided to focus on a design major.

Example of some of the design **** I've done for anyone curious.

Left A&M because I couldn’t afford the tuition, and I was slowly getting up to my knees in debt. Went back home to my local uni because of the aforementioned scholarship. Since it didn’t have the design major I wanted, I chose marketing to graduate quicker and go get a master’s degree at another school.

Fast forward. I’m a year left from graduating, and recently my degree adviser told me I was about to encroach on a Texas education policy that limits the in-state tuition rate to 150 hours. This means once this spring semester ends, I’ll have to pay out-of-state tuition for my last 3 (summer/fall/spring) semesters, AKA 30 grand. Turns out the hours from the 2 year program is about to make me pay more than a 4 year plan would’ve charged, kind of ironic. I’ve appealed for about 4 months now, and I’ve been turned down in all outlets.

So tl;dr for those who didn't read, I'm looking at 30G+ debt if I continue my education after the state of Texas and my local uni ****** me over. I only have a few options. 

1. Finish school, take out a 30G loan. 
This 'seems' like the most sensible option, yet it's not. I barely finished paying my last loan with help from parents, which ended up roasting their savings. I don't want to put any more financial burdens on them again, but I don't know if I'll be able to pay this off once I get out of school. I wanted to know if anyone here has taken out big school loans and if so, what happened? Did you pay it off? Are you still paying it off? Is this an advisable move for me to make. 

2. Transfer schools, since I'm going to pay out-of-state anyway. 
This also doesn't seem that good. I could go to a better school since I'm about to pay out the *** anyway. Of course this means I might not graduate in a year, racking up more tuition/debt. It might make my chance of being hired better though. 

3. Quit school. Wing it. 
This seems equally bad as the rest. I don't have a plan for what to do after school. I would stop racking up debt, but I wouldn't know what to do. I haven't done enough networking to have anything to fall back on. Has anyone done this? What was the outcome? 

4. ???
Last option is just whatever. I have no idea. You guys can suggest things. I'm just pretty lost. Literally my only strengths are in design, and design jobs are typically found only with a degree. "Classical" training, that kind of ********. 

Your debating whether to pay in debt 30k for a school loan to better yourself and invest in yorsekf but when you want to buy that fresh new car for 20k there is no debating

Yaw guys boy I tell you

Take the 30k loan which is not a lot. Look to work for American Airline in DFW with your Marketing degree since that is a mainline airport. After a year ofr so of traveling and gaining experience move on to some else in your life OP

OP don't be so hard on yourself fam. First thing first, realize you made some initial mistakes. Second, realize this is not the end of the world for you by no means. Third, what does your gut tell you to do? Which option would you regret not taking the most 5 years from now using foresight.

Finish school and do internships for your field. Hopefully this is the career you really want so this should be the easy part. Networking is the hard part for a good job afterward. If not go to a trade school which would't be much more and work with your hands. A car depreciates and adds additional bills. Wait on that.

I'm saying...

FBGM

You already started school, b. If you leave now, you still gon' owe someone some money.

Finish what you started.

We don't love these ****, b.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom