Yo NT, I wanna import a Skyline

As far as importing the cars into the US, it really depends on where you live...for NT'ers who live in Cali, NY, or Chicago, ya'll are held under strict emissions test, and that car (except for the R33) won't pass it. Where I'm at (Indiana), we don't do that, so it's not a factor...if you had the money to get a R32 or R34, you could.....BUT, the 2nd most important thing are the crash tests and VIN number registration. A lot of people w/Imported cars use the US counterparts VIN number (ex: owning a Nissan Sunny GTi but having a VIN nbr to a Nissan Pulsar) to register them, but w/out that, IDK how difficult it would be. Also, crash tests/crumple zones are an issue as well...should you have a collision in it, there's nothing they have on record to show how well the car holds up

As far as importing the cars into the US, it really depends on where you live...for NT'ers who live in Cali, NY, or Chicago, ya'll are held under strict emissions test, and that car (except for the R33) won't pass it. Where I'm at (Indiana), we don't do that, so it's not a factor...if you had the money to get a R32 or R34, you could.....BUT, the 2nd most important thing are the crash tests and VIN number registration. A lot of people w/Imported cars use the US counterparts VIN number (ex: owning a Nissan Sunny GTi but having a VIN nbr to a Nissan Pulsar) to register them, but w/out that, IDK how difficult it would be. Also, crash tests/crumple zones are an issue as well...should you have a collision in it, there's nothing they have on record to show how well the car holds up

Originally Posted by Cameron Nelson

I was thinking about buying the r33 and swapping vin #'s with a same year 240sx...The only problem is if i get into an accident and there is money to be received by either party the insurance companies
can chose to deny my claim...Falsifying information on am insurance paper is also blatant insurance fraud

I was thinking about buying the r33 and swapping vin #'s with a same year 240sx...The only problem is if i get into an accident and there is money to be received by either party the insurance companies
can chose to deny my claim...Falsifying information on am insurance paper is also blatant insurance fraud

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

keep it registered in CA if you have family there..
drive it around in the US.
That's what i thought until i started poking around

How About Bringing it in Through Canada?
Thereare a number of Skylines in Canada, and many pop up for sale from timeto time. However, Skylines don’t count under the Canadian Marketcategory as they were never originally manufactured for exportation tothe Canadian market. Thus these vehicles will be processed the same asa vehicle imported from Japan. Of course, with them simply being a“border away

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

keep it registered in CA if you have family there..
drive it around in the US.
That's what i thought until i started poking around

How About Bringing it in Through Canada?
Thereare a number of Skylines in Canada, and many pop up for sale from timeto time. However, Skylines don’t count under the Canadian Marketcategory as they were never originally manufactured for exportation tothe Canadian market. Thus these vehicles will be processed the same asa vehicle imported from Japan. Of course, with them simply being a“border away

I live in NY , so is the R33 COMPLETELY legal , or what ? I've always wondered this , and if so , is there anything to worry about , anything that i have to ensure to not have it taken from me ?

I live in NY , so is the R33 COMPLETELY legal , or what ? I've always wondered this , and if so , is there anything to worry about , anything that i have to ensure to not have it taken from me ?

Originally Posted by LimitedRetroOG

R33s are COMPLETELY legal in the US. All that needs to be done is registering it under your name.
R33's are only legal in the us as show cars. They are not street legal unless sold by motorex

R33s are COMPLETELY legal in the US. All that needs to be done is registering it under your name.
R33's are only legal in the us as show cars. They are not street legal unless sold by motorex

Unless you have a lot of money it ain't worth it. A few dudes around here have R34's that they brought in and they all wish that they just would have bought an EVO or something.

Unless you have a lot of money it ain't worth it. A few dudes around here have R34's that they brought in and they all wish that they just would have bought an EVO or something.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

What are you talking about? The same can be said about R32s and R34s when it comes to show cars. MotoREX just legalizes R32s and R34s, as those are the illegal Skylines. R33s are completely street legal, as MotoREX crash tested 10 R33s, whatever else to make that car completely street legal. You don't need to legalize an R33. They are completely legal.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

What are you talking about? The same can be said about R32s and R34s when it comes to show cars. MotoREX just legalizes R32s and R34s, as those are the illegal Skylines. R33s are completely street legal, as MotoREX crash tested 10 R33s, whatever else to make that car completely street legal. You don't need to legalize an R33. They are completely legal.

yeah your only hope of importing a skyline is an r33, if you can find the paperwork and modify the car up to US standards. Ive done research and basically its not worth the money and hassle. if you want an r34, your only hope is to buy one already imported through motorex. if you want an r32 its the same as an r34, or you can wait a couple more years once the car hits 25 years old, you can import it without modifications.

lastly, look into kaizo kit cars. ive heard both positive and negative about the process, but it seems like a possible way to import r32-r34 legally

good luck, otherwise just cop an r35
pimp.gif

yeah your only hope of importing a skyline is an r33, if you can find the paperwork and modify the car up to US standards. Ive done research and basically its not worth the money and hassle. if you want an r34, your only hope is to buy one already imported through motorex. if you want an r32 its the same as an r34, or you can wait a couple more years once the car hits 25 years old, you can import it without modifications.

lastly, look into kaizo kit cars. ive heard both positive and negative about the process, but it seems like a possible way to import r32-r34 legally

good luck, otherwise just cop an r35
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom