Yo NT, what's the deal with...

...individuals taking 5-10 for a smoke break on the job at any and every given opportunity?

seinfeld-stand-up.JPG

How do you all feel about this (Smokers / Non Smokers)?

I know some of you smokers out there are about to rear up like:

34si77p.jpg

Relax, I'm not coming AT you, but it's a pretty legit issue. Makes me want to cop an e-cig and blow vapors for the hell of it.

My State, North Carolina, for example has implemented a 'Statewide ban on smoking in bars, restaurants, and some other workplaces: On January 2, 2010, after being signed into law by Governor Bev Perdue on May 19, 2009, North Carolina Session Law 2009-27 went into effect, banning smoking statewide in all bars and restaurants in North Carolina, as well as in government buildings and vehicles.'

I work for a University & a Law Firm, two vastly different professions, but no matter where I go there's always that oh so familiar group people posted up at various (numerous) intervals throughout the workday...most jobs give you either an hour or a 30 minute lunch + a few breaks. These guys...5-10 minute breaks on every hour if not every 30 minutes.

Spoiler [+]
>%0D%0A

Yeah, I see you.

30t6p3b.gif

"Deal with it." etc etc

It's called an addiction. Those people are wired to smoke at the same intervals every single day.

I worked at a govt building awhile back and they posted up in front of the building and not far enough away from the door. I used to walk in from directly across the street and make a beeline to the door.

I think it's unproductive to the work environment (lol, look at me talkin like I know) but I think that it's their right. If anything hopefully someone above me is a smoker and they slack off so much I get their job. Such is life.

Originally Posted by frostythepoptart

As long as they have to use their actual break hour for the time i dont see the problem

That's just it, they never clock out for it, it's like, this common consensus they all come to.

"Welp, time for a smoke. Who's coming"

3-4 people walk out and come back like 5-10 later.

If anything our physical IDs unlock doors for every exit/entry...maybe it'll act as time stamp proof for the most frequent abusers.

Even then, most people up the chain are smoking too so they're probably like "Whatever."

what i hate is that they come back inside still smelling like smoke...

i be like "come on famb... atleast take ya jacket off / put on on"...

smh...

I think it's hilarious and unproductive as you stated, but rarely do people work 100% of the time anyways (like nobody shows up at 8 and immediately starts compiling spreadsheets or whatever without first chopping it up with everyone for a minute, talking about the game/American Idol, etc.) so I don't care. If I were a supervisor or actually in charge of any employees, I guess I'd feel differently.

But you're right, especially in Government work environments, they don't make them clock out. Everybody has their own sham scam going on though and it doesn't have to involve not being at your desk (ie the amount of time people spend facebooking at work)

I dont care, as long as they smoke at the designated smoke areas. Cause second hand smoke sucksssssss

what's unfair is to those that don't smoke....we get a lot less breaks than those that do smoke

I think it's unfair that they get smoke breaks but I don't get breaks for no reason.
They shouldn't be rewarded for smoking.

At my job you get a 30 minute and two 10 minutes breaks. So thats about 3 cigs throughout the day and it works out fine. No one just leaves when there is something urgent to deal with.

Lucky for me I work by myslef so I take many breaks and can smoke whenever I want.

Shoot, Im taking a break right now, chillin on NT.

Being a government employee and former military, smoke breaks are where the magic happens. If you run in to a problem, take a smoke/air break and think about it. Air breaks for us non smokers.

Originally Posted by juggy4805

Being a government employee and former military, smoke breaks are where the magic happens. If you run in to a problem, take a smoke/air break and think about it. Air breaks for us non smokers.

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Da Doc03

Originally Posted by juggy4805

pimp.gif
Government employee checking in.

When it is nice out I take air breaks and walk around my building.  Short 2 min (if that) walk to just clear my head.

Its lose lose for us non smokers... We dont get the same amount of off time ( this is impOrtant when you have to be on the floor or have some sorta coverage) but smokers of all ranks in the company are hangin out and bonding... Could you imagine if you and the company ceo had a coke addiction and coke breaks were aloud? U'd be BEST FRIENDS... Probably an exaggeration but...

Does anyone else think there is a positive correlation between how much you smoke and how poorly you handle stress?

I'm a non-smoker and I don't like it, but as long as their work load doesn't affect mine than I get over it

Back
Top Bottom