Your Degree Vs Your GPA.

Double major and minor? Damn...

This is something I've often thought about. Trying to get into law school means I have to strategically plan my courses...

I've never had an employer look at my GPA. Once you've started working, school becomes irrelevant and experience takes precedent.

"Cs get degrees"

I don't understand this at all. I mean your marks is a good measure and indicator on how much work you'vedone for the course and most especially how much you've learned.

How are you supposed to function well at your workplace without knowing everything? I mean not necessarily everything, but you gotta know some stuff to acertain point.

I'm not saying people who get Cs fail in life, not at all,but I find it hard to understand on why people go to school aiming for a C or a "pass"only. If anything, you gotta tell yourself "I'm payin an arm and a leg here, might as well learn everything than just to learn something".

^ I can tell you've never had a REAL job. In this economy you will rarely get a job correlating to your degree.

90% of the time your boss is going to be a ****** prick who's job you could do in about 15 minutes.

All the "smart" guys usually get picked on and have to pick up everyone else's slack.

96% of the time you'll hate your job and question your existence/purpose in life.

Like the cliche goes it's not what you know, its who you know.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

"Cs get degrees"

I don't understand this at all. I mean your marks is a good measure and indicator on how much work you've done for the course and most especially how much you've learned.

How are you supposed to function well at your workplace without knowing everything? I mean not necessarily everything, but you gotta know some stuff to a certain point.

I'm not saying people who get Cs fail in life, not at all,but I find it hard to understand on why people go to school aiming for a C or a "pass" only. If anything, you gotta tell yourself "I'm payin an arm and a leg here, might as well learn everything than just to learn something".
You can't be serious, you really think you use what you learned in the classroom in the outside world ? It's all about that peice of papergranting you the degree homie, that is what we are working for.

I think there's some truth to what everyone is saying.

Even though school is a measure of your knowledge I still don't think it's fair that we are purely judged by midterms and exams, at least that'show my faculty is.

In the real world, aren't you allowed to look things up? Even though it is more efficient to just know.

man i've been thinking about this too. from having 4.0's in high school, im scared that my gpa (which went from 3.6 to somewhere around 3.0) might notbe where i want it to be. thats where summer classes come ine, but i don't want to pay to pad my stats word to maggette. iono

'C equals Degree'

exact quote from my cousin... who's got his Doctrine from Florida State, held numerous high paying jobs in his field, and continues to teach a class or twoeach semester at FSU.

GPA is the main thing considered for those out of college, what else do they have to base what kind of employee you would be if you don't have workexperience other than internships? Accounting firms rely on GPA's because of the technical work involved, not because they're paper-pushing, soulcrushing firms as someone else so elegantly put it. (and yea i'm an accy major lol) Some firms have a "silent" requirement of a 3.2 or 3.4...somemajors look at GPA more than others though. Best of luck, keep trying to pad that GPA!

man, funny thing is i have a job in ACCOUNTING RIGHT NOW lol thats not what i'm gong for. see, i'm weighin my career options. i KNOW i'm gettingtwo bachelors (English and Philosophy). those kinds of jobs, GPA doesn't seem too important. the school's recognition helps to add fantasy GPA points,so i got that going for me. anyone in here with these majors in the job market?

I doubt they care much. Really depends from job to job, but on average employers care about the person. I've heard horror stories from many managers ofdifferent companies in which someone who is hired has all these academic achievements and high grades but their attitude, people skills, communication werehorrid and so they were fired. Or in terms of computers, their coding, commenting, ease of interpretation and transfer is not there. So they rather hiresomeone who has all these non-academic skills and a 2.5 GPA.

It is different in the workplace. When applying for post secondary, colleges and universities don't care what kind of person you are, they just want toknow your GPA. But employers want the full package.

Penn State Univ. doing Petroleum & Gas Engineering, i could get through this curriculum with all C's or D's and still land a crazy job and theywouldn't care about my GPA
laugh.gif
.i really don't care neither do alot of people in this major...

Oh yeah 2.5

Some employers will ask for your transcript, although not all. I don't think it's the end of the world personally. I would try to make it up byobtaining an internship or two to make your resume stand out above the rest. I'm graduating this semester, with a 2.9, and already have a job lined up.I'm still thinking of whether to take it or not, I want to get my Masters and I'd rather do 1 full year of school and be done with it rather than 3years of part time while working.

employers care more bout experience first, but if you in heavy competition..they usually pick the highest gpa's before they even look at the experience.

Some employers will ask for your transcript, although not all. I don't think it's the end of the world personally. I would try to make it up by obtaining an internship or two to make your resume stand out above the rest. I'm graduating this semester, with a 2.9, and already have a job lined up. I'm still thinking of whether to take it or not, I want to get my Masters and I'd rather do 1 full year of school and be done with it rather than 3 years of part time while working.

To get an internship or any type of starting experience in the first place, GPA is probably most important. What is your major? Good luck with the 2.9 tryingto get into any master's program though(no sarcasm).

Originally Posted by flightman

Employers dont give a damn bout no GPA

C's get degrees playa
Exxon Mobil doesn't even interview people at my school with GPAs below 3.3.

Goldman Sachs from what I hear is like 3.0-3.5+.
Microsoft, Intel Google, Earnst and Young, Dupont, JP Morgan, Lockhead Martin, etc. all looking at 3.0+s.
Granted I'm naming top firms and Fortune 500s, but thats who most people shoot for. These are the guys who will pay for your MBA and other masters degrees.These are the guys who pay the big bucks and bonuses. These are the guys whos names on your resume will increase your "exit opportunities".

Your GPA is irrelevant after your first full time career related job but believe me its basically all the companies have to look at when your coming out ofschool. If you have a low gpa, increase your chances for success with internships, co-ops, and executive positions in EC clubs.

If there are 100 people applying for the same job, how else can they weed down that the candidates to 10 interviews? A GPA filters and target school filter arethe primary methods.They don't have time read 100s of cover letters and sob stories about how you had to take care of a son while going to school fulltime.

Cs get degrees, they don't get jobs at top firms (unless of course your networking resembles a national cell-phone service)

Thats just employment, Grad school and other professional education such as Law and Med school is even worse.
A 3.0 will get you most places you want to be.

Certain majors you probably want a 3.5+, really depends on your major and how difficult it is.
If your a business major, your GPA better be higher than the engineering guy applying for the same job.

Exxon Mobil doesn't even interview people at my school with GPAs below 3.3.
I dont know why people would wanna work for these big firms other then the "name" when the private companies are the ones paying them indamn near 3 figure salaries and letting them move up in the ranks.

Originally Posted by moonmaster3

Some employers will ask for your transcript, although not all. I don't think it's the end of the world personally. I would try to make it up by obtaining an internship or two to make your resume stand out above the rest. I'm graduating this semester, with a 2.9, and already have a job lined up. I'm still thinking of whether to take it or not, I want to get my Masters and I'd rather do 1 full year of school and be done with it rather than 3 years of part time while working.

To get an internship or any type of starting experience in the first place, GPA is probably most important. What is your major? Good luck with the 2.9 trying to get into any master's program though(no sarcasm).
My major is Environmental & Occupational Health. I already did an internship last summer at JPL/NASA. I'm going to do another one thissummer at Amgen. And I'm already in the Masters program as of 2 days ago.
smile.gif
I only have 27 units left. I'm taking 6 units this semester...oneclass to furfill my BS requirement and the other class towards my Masters. I can easily knock out the 27 units in 2 semesters as oppose to taking 1 or 2classes a semeter while working full time, although that would be the best choice because by the time you get your Masters, you will have a couple of years ofexperience in the work field already.

Edit: There are definitely some internships out there that are competitive and required a certain GPA level, ie to intern for the CDC or FDA.

I agree with what most was said by Throwed. Off the bat fresh out of college, the kid who went to the prestige college with high GPA will get first dibs onalmost any job. However it is not all lost if you went to a lesser known school with a not so great GPA. Just get any job you can and do your best forseveral years until you get your feet wet in the field, per se. At that point, your experience will be your selling point to other potential employers.

In my opinion, GPA matters. Any interview I've ever gotten I've attributed to my GPA because, truthfully, I see no other reason for my resume to standout.

If your goal in life is to graduate with a bachelor's and start working, then I guess a GPA has less significance. But for others who plan to attendgraduate school, GPA is the most important thing.

You should also consider that employers want the complete package so why not make sure your grades are up to par so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

From my experience, it is who you know that is the key to getting a job or references. Degrees get you through the door but references are just as good. Afterthat, it really is all about work ethics and persistence that will help you get up there.....and these are all things you acquire from going to school.....soif you are the guy/gal that slacks off or procrastinates all the time (like I did), it will reflect in your work life.

GPA doesn't matter that much in the real world...if you got the experience factor on ya side, then you can overcome a shaky to piss poor gpa. I kno ofdudes wit 2.5 gpa's who currently have 90k+ jobs...internships are the key

Back
Top Bottom