Your Next Vacation Destination.....?

Are you looking to spend a lot? There quite a few good restaurants on the gaslamp district I've tried one called Mickys and their pasta was pretty good. I go down there at least every two months and if your a outdoors person definitely go to Torrey pines hike.
Looking for a good Italian restaurant. Was planning on going to Sunset cliffs and caves. Will look into Torrey pines. Appreciate it

Thailand during Songkran.

Phuket for 4 days. Bangkok for 3 days. Advice/suggestions? Have a 12 hour layover in Frankfurt so anything there to do for a day?

Thanks

Phuket is cool for a bit but it gets to be too much if you're going for the party scene. There's a ton of Aussies and Brits that go there just to go all out. And the wild @#%# you see there...You'll see what I mean when you get there; I don't want to spoil it for you :lol: I'd suggest doing the party thing for a day or two just for the experience and then going to the more scenic parts. Grab one of those taxi boats and explore the different islands around there. Take a car up to Big Buddha for a great view of the entire area and some cultural experience. Go to the other sides of Phuket where it's more laid back and far from the chaos of Bangla Road.

Koh Phi Phi island is cool too. Enjoy watching drunk Aussies getting into the Muay Thai ring there and damn near killing each other for free drinks :lol: buy mosquito repellant there, otherwise you'll hate life.

If you have food allergies, its no problem since theres food from all over the world in the Phuket area. It's very touristy, which sucks cause it's also 5x the price of other places in Thailand (still cheap for Americans though)

There's a few other Nters who asked about Phuket in here too, so hope these few tips help.

lovehateself lovehateself
@shotsrangout

Last edited:
Oh, and if you're going for women in Phuket, please note that 99% of the ones in the tourist areas are pay to play. And the rule is if she looks better than a 6/10, she's probably actually a man who got amazing surgery.

My friend and I were watching this Thai TV show where you had to guess which of the models on stage is actually a woman; let's just say after that, I avoided all good looking women in Phuket' s tourist areas. You'll find normal Thai women in other parts of the country, especially in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, etc.

didn't realize my wife has another week of vacation that we don't have anything planned

thinking about something in the fall, maybe something where we can check out the foliage

anyone every do that?

Vermont would be interesting since Burlington, Stowe, and Greensboro Bend are all relatively close but it's approximately 8 hours to get to Burlington from central PA

Phuket is cool for a bit but it gets to be too much if you're going for the party scene. There's a ton of Aussies and Brits that go there just to go all out. And the wild @#%# you see there...You'll see what I mean when you get there; I don't want to spoil it for you :lol: I'd suggest doing the party thing for a day or two just for the experience and then going to the more scenic parts. Grab one of those taxi boats and explore the different islands around there. Take a car up to Big Buddha for a great view of the entire area and some cultural experience. Go to the other sides of Phuket where it's more laid back and far from the chaos of Bangla Road.

Koh Phi Phi island is cool too. Enjoy watching drunk Aussies getting into the Muay Thai ring there and damn near killing each other for free drinks :lol: buy mosquito repellant there, otherwise you'll hate life.

If you have food allergies, its no problem since theres food from all over the world in the Phuket area. It's very touristy, which sucks cause it's also 5x the price of other places in Thailand (still cheap for Americans though)

There's a few other Nters who asked about Phuket in here too, so hope these few tips help.

lovehateself lovehateself
@shotsrangout

Got back from my trip on Friday
Phuket was dope, definitely hire a taxi/driver to drive you around for the day (We paid $30 US for a driver for 4-5 hours) but it’ll depend on the sites you’re trying to see
Also be sure to have in mind where you want to go as the drivers will take you to places where they get kickbacks for bringing tourists to the shops/locations.
We hit Patong/Kata/karon beach, karon viewpoint, big Buddha all in one day. Personally preferred Kata beach (less crowded than Patong
We also did a morning visit to the elephant jungle sanctuary (legit reputable sanctuary)
Please stay away from trekking elephants , it’s not good for their backs

The street food in Phuket was so good, mainly stuck to walking street vendors as opposed to the road carts found basically everywhere but be sure to have some roti (Thai pancake). It’s cheap and so good

We did Phi Phi island for a few days too (ferry was $10 one way )
Phi Phi is definitely a party area, fortunately we stayed at a resort with its own beach (Long Beach).
You can rent a Longtail boat for a few hours to hit the surrounding islands and snorkel in the designated zones in those areas (phi Phi Ley - maya bay, kosomo, and Viking Cave ) for like $20-30 for 4 hours

We intended to hit Krabi too, but ended up staying on Phi Phi for an extra day

We also did a day in Bangkok prior to traveling down to Phuket, hit the various temples and a floating market
Had a layover in Beijing, did a one day tour of the Great wall

Tried adding pics but took too long
I’ll try again tomorrow

Attachments

• 111A9966-ABCB-4C5C-8E4B-42C63984E127.jpeg
    111A9966-ABCB-4C5C-8E4B-42C63984E127.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 14
I'm planning my next trip next year for my daughter...Tokyo.

Any advice? Looking for a good time to go to the Disneyland and Disneysea. Don't want to go when it's too busy or/and extreme weather (cold/hot).

Going to Amsterdam in May. Aside from the obvious things there, anyone got any recommendations out there?

Booked a trip to Paris for May. What should i bring? Apps to download? Recommendations? Affordable eat places? How much extra cash should i bring? Gonna be staying in a studio apt. Me and my significant other.

Booked a trip to Paris for May. What should i bring? Apps to download? Recommendations? Affordable eat places? How much extra cash should i bring? Gonna be staying in a studio apt. Me and my significant other.

If you have an international credit card, I would just use that. Most if not all places use cards and keeps currency exchanges easy. Don’t stay near the Effiel Tower. There really isn’t that much to do there aside from that. Travel light and simple with comfortable shoes. Trains for everywhere but you’ll still be walking a lot. Also download the Paris map on Google maps so you can use it offline unless you have international data. Before i went, my wife and I pinged a whole bunch of areas to visit and just planned our days according to that. Also for great travel info, look up “traveling to Paris” on YouTube. There are a ton of vloggers that give even better tips than I could.

Was in Paris 2 of the last 5 wks.

They user Uber, a lot of taxis don’t take card. Metro is SUPER easy.

Have tons of places to eat it just matters what you like.

If you have an international credit card, I would just use that. Most if not all places use cards and keeps currency exchanges easy. Don’t stay near the Effiel Tower. There really isn’t that much to do there aside from that. Travel light and simple with comfortable shoes. Trains for everywhere but you’ll still be walking a lot. Also download the Paris map on Google maps so you can use it offline unless you have international data. Before i went, my wife and I pinged a whole bunch of areas to visit and just planned our days according to that. Also for great travel info, look up “traveling to Paris” on YouTube. There are a ton of vloggers that give even better tips than I could.

Their transit is awesome. Everybody either walk, mopad or bike.

I stayed off rue Cadet (Hotel Opera). Shops and bakeries, cafe, restaurants were all over. It felt almost like New York.

Visit Place de l'Opera, Louvre Museum, Norte Dame de Paris, department stores off Lafayette and Printemps Hussmann. Be sure to visit their HIGH END Outlet mall (Gucci, Prada, etc) at the La Vallee Village. Check out Theatre Clavel, great show with clowns.

Tips before leaving for Paris:

Pick up Euro’s from your bank. Call them because you might have to order in advance. You're going to want some for tips. I advise not to use bank card in the streets. Use credit cards or cash. Don’t forget you will pay city tax at the hotel.

ONLY DRINK BOTTLE WATER. Their water maybe different from ours.

MAKE SURE YOU BUY A TRAVEL POWER ADAPTER, so that you can charge your phone. It's $7 on amazon
Amazon product ASIN B004SY5O5K

Thailand photos

Attachments

• 745A21EF-F8C2-495C-A653-6EF4184298B1.jpeg
    745A21EF-F8C2-495C-A653-6EF4184298B1.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 9
  • EB819666-7868-47C0-BC72-04DA49B95075.jpeg
    EB819666-7868-47C0-BC72-04DA49B95075.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 0D218E0B-FB49-4E29-8F27-BE9CDCFA6363.jpeg
    0D218E0B-FB49-4E29-8F27-BE9CDCFA6363.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DA51507D-08D7-4751-9FF6-9C319605E34E.jpeg
    DA51507D-08D7-4751-9FF6-9C319605E34E.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 10
  • D50AEA13-2293-4891-A06C-ABC0FA8A7C89.jpeg
    D50AEA13-2293-4891-A06C-ABC0FA8A7C89.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 9831DA0C-A66D-4923-9039-9E1300C471E5.jpeg
    9831DA0C-A66D-4923-9039-9E1300C471E5.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 9
  • E75DBEB0-953B-4F3C-A216-27423F081636.jpeg
    E75DBEB0-953B-4F3C-A216-27423F081636.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 9
  • A290C5AB-5E29-4694-BD18-E9B23C5373F3.jpeg
    A290C5AB-5E29-4694-BD18-E9B23C5373F3.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 10
Thailand photos

Looks like you and I did the same things on our trip. I'd love to go back.

How was the weather this time of the year? I went in December a few years ago, and I was still melting. High 90s every single day :lol:

From your beach pic, it looks like it wasn't too crowded. I couldn't enjoy the view on some of the things like Maya Beach since there were so many people on it, but the New Year's Eve party on Patong Beach was :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

I wanted to explore more of Phuket and travel to Chiang Mai, but my friend got severe food poisoning, so we were stuck there for our entire trip.

Last edited:
Next vacation destination won't be until next year. San Diego was the last US city that I really wanted to visit.

Next destinations I aim to visit:

Portland, Jamaica
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Cartegena, Colombia
Soa Paulo, South America
Cape Town, Africa

Depending on which carrier you have, T-Mobile is great because I have my phone on roaming even while I am home and I don’t pay extra.

No need to buy currency from your bank, it’s cheaper to get that with your dollars in Paris, I know.

Food wise, eat what you can afford. I Eat what most people eat.
You don’t need any special app, your regular maps can do the job.

Make sure you don’t use your phone while you walk, if you have headsets, use them. Your phone might get snatched. This is happening in Europe a lot.

Remember your passport needs to be protected at all times.

Uber works out there, if you have an account here you should be able to use it there. It works out cheaper than regular cab.

Other than that, I say enjoy your trip.

Any advice? Looking for a good time to go to the Disneyland and Disneysea. Don't want to go when it's too busy or/and extreme weather (cold/hot).

For Disneyland/Sea, definitely go Mon-Thurs. A few years ago, we went on a Tues and Thurs and we got on most of the rides with no problem (October time). I went again to DisneySea last month on a Friday and it was insanely packed. We only got on 4-5 rides, but the people were really nice!

Heading to Hong Kong this weekend!

tokyo disneyland is always busy but try to go on a weekday.
summer/spring is SUPER crowded.. im talking multiple hours just to get on one ride.
I went to tokyo disneyland in oct on a wed and it was crowded, but doable. food was great.
also, japan is extremely hot in the summer and it rains a lot in tokyo year round. typhoon season is from May to October as well so dont be surprised if a typhoon comes.

Back
Top Bottom