Your Next Vacation Destination.....?

Booked our honeymoon for May. Heading to Greece (Athens, Naxos, Santorini) and Turkey (Istanbul, Cappadocia). If anyone has any must see/do activities, let me know (outside of the popular attractions).

Athens is great. Shops don't start opening until 10-11a so don't expect early breakfast. Nightlife/bar scene is good. Lots of bars have the acropolis/other structures n view from your tables.

Istanbul... meh. Hit the masques and take the classic boat ride between Europe/Asia.

I’d say don’t let the appearance of Athens turn you off from enjoying/exploring. There’s a lot of good restaurants, bars, viewpoints, etc. all over the city, but 99% of the city is covered in absolutely terrible artwork :lol: Have to mention it because normally we associate grimy graffiti with “bad” areas here in the US.

Vegas next weekend.

DC in February for mom’s birthday.

Azores in July for wife’s 30th.

I’d say don’t let the appearance of Athens turn you off from enjoying/exploring. There’s a lot of good restaurants, bars, viewpoints, etc. all over the city, but 99% of the city is covered in absolutely terrible artwork :lol: Have to mention it because normally we associate grimy graffiti with “bad” areas here in the US.

That part
I remember they recommended me some restaurant that wasn’t too far from me.
The deeper I walked into the streets the more graffiti I saw. Had me thinking twice lol
Ended up being super good and streets were safe

We did our honeymoon - back in 2009 - in Greece. Santorini, Crete and then through Athens on the journey home. We only did a couple nights in Athens, but yeah totally agree...the outwardly appearance wasn't what I expected.

Santorini - we split this into two different spots on the island (Oia and Imerovigli) and in hindsight, wouldn't both with Oia since it becomes jam packed as the cruise ships port. Crete was great though, one of the best beaches we've ever been to even since then was located in the southwestern tip of the island. Driving was a bit chaotic but worth every minute.

We did our honeymoon - back in 2009 - in Greece. Santorini, Crete and then through Athens on the journey home. We only did a couple nights in Athens, but yeah totally agree...the outwardly appearance wasn't what I expected.

Santorini - we split this into two different spots on the island (Oia and Imerovigli) and in hindsight, wouldn't both with Oia since it becomes jam packed as the cruise ships port. Crete was great though, one of the best beaches we've ever been to even since then was located in the southwestern tip of the island. Driving was a bit chaotic but worth every minute.

Had a similar itinerary as you.

I found Thira to be much more enjoyable than Oia, especially with much more restaurants and much less donkey @$&@ and smell to deal with. The walk down to Ammoudi Bay was terrible :lol: We also stayed in Firostefani and checked out Imerovigli for a night. Much less chaotic (to be fair, due to an emergency we had to postpone our April trip and go during the summer instead, so it was peak tourism season for the island)

In Oia we were lucky to have a good hotel that had a view of everything, so we didn’t have to deal with the massive crowds. We woke up around 7 AM to take pictures to avoid having to queue for hours to get some nice shots in.

It’s a shame how ugly a lot of Athens streets are because of the graffiti. Creative street art/murals is one thing, but tagging scribbles of your favorite soccer team or crew on every single inch of the city is completely unnecessary:lol: Still had an amazing time there though, especially in the Plaka area.

We definitely want to go back to Greece to explore Crete, Naxos, and other islands. All the Greek locals we met said that you can have the Santorini experience (and more) for much cheaper on the lesser known islands.

Few of the boys want to go on vaca. 25-35 age. Care about beaches, excursions, and *****es.

Stuck between Tulum and DR. Any suggestions?

Any specific DR recommendations before I go in on this search feature? What beach do you guys recommend? Best parties, etc.

Medellin on Thursday. Definitely pass any recs along!

Tours:
La Comuna 13 - you can go there yourself but I'd say get a tour guide.

Guatapé / Piedra del Peñón - you can book a tour. Its about 1.5 - 2 hours outside of Medellin

Parque Arví - you dont need a tour guide for this. I just took the cable cars to the top. Gives you a great view of the city during the ride.

Bars/Clubs

If you're staying in Poblado you'll find a bunch of bars/clubs.

Vintrash - On Tuesdays they have Gringo night. Pretty much they set up tables representing different languages. When I went there was English, Spanish and French. We sat at one of the English tables and pretty much locals would come up to the talk and just hang out. Great way for them to learn some English and for you to learn some Spanish.

Envy rooftop at Hotel Charlee - Good brunch spot.

Bogota Beer Company - good beer spot

Food:

Mondongo's

Alambique

Mamasita Medallo

I think we are about to book a trip to one of the Excellence resorts (most likely Cancun since it’s a little cheaper). First time leaving the US. This is kind of our graduation trip and late honeymoon

Anybody been to the Excellence resorts? How easy is it to get some sinsemilla out there?

before covid I use to go to Punta Canta every year in december...just relaxed at the resort all week eating and drinking... cant wait to get back to that again

Out in the Coachella Valley for work this week (staying in Indio, working in Palm Desert). Any good restaurant recommendations for Indio/Coachella/La Quinta? Was just in Palm Springs a couple months ago, so don’t really care to drive the 30 minutes each way to hit that area.

Flying out to Marsh Harbour in the Bahamas in April, then hopping on a friend’s parents’ yacht over to Great Guana Cay for some daytime boating and island hopping. We have an AirBNB for the 7 friends overnight, then getting on the yacht every day.

Going out to Portugal for my wife’s best friend’s wedding the last weekend of September. We’re trying to decide between different options for extending the trip between Europe destinations or potentially hitting Morocco (either before or after the wedding). Our main travel partners will be two people who have never been to the eastern hemisphere. Should we try to make an Oktoberfest weekend happen? My wife and I have also kicked around Netherlands (she doesn’t want me and the other guy to be together in Amsterdam for some reason lol), Austria, Belgium, or a couple other places. I’m kind of nervous to do Morocco with two other people who have never been abroad before…I’ve heard blond women attract the attention over there, and I don’t know what our friends’ awareness would be like. Always down to go back to London, but would prefer somewhere new.

Back
Top Bottom