Zoom Soldiers III review (w/pics) Rapid Update

IMG_6949.JPG
I got the Soldiers III this morning (1 day late thanks toUPS
mad.gif
).
I'm a SG/PG, 1.85 (6'1) and 78kg (160), and I have been playing in Hyperdunks since November.
This is a first impression out-of-the-box review, I have practice tomorrow night so there will be a first wear test review up on Friday.
My previous review of the Soldiers 1: http://niketalk.yuku.com/reply/95473#reply-95473

**Updated (3hours of wear)**

comfort & fit 95%
Fitting; For the Soldiers III I went up a full size compared to my Hyperdunks, I would advice to go at least 1/2 size up. The shoe is narrow, which Ipersonally prefer, feels tight around your foot, and has good toe-cap space (provided you went up a size).
The Soldiers III are comfortable straight out of the box, still will need to play in them for the breaking in period and such.
The shoes stay comfy, but I had to take 5% of cause the part under my right ankle was being "stabed", although it could havebeen the NBA logo from the socks, so I'll get back on this again. Second part thats kinda disapointing is that the tongue is loose, there is no innerbooty...

cushion 95%
Cushioning was very good, but I personnaly would have prefered it to be a bit softer.

traction 100%
Played inside, and traction was perfect.

ankle support 90%
The soldiers III don't lock your ankel down like the Hyperdunks do but its pretty solid is you tie your shoes all the way up. Thestraps do work (unlike those of the soldiers I) but I don't know who the conceptional r'tard was who got the straps going from the outside to theinside... should have been the other way around.

weight 100%
This is the part that will surprise most of NT, yes the Soldiers III (sz 14) are lighter then my Hyperdunks (sz 13) with pics.

Overall 95%
The soldiers III are a really good shoe, light like the hyperdunks and pretty comgy as well as sturdy all around. The reason itdoesn't get the perfect 100% from me is due to the lack of an inner booty (I really am a big fan of the one they had in the LBJ IVs), that even though itswell build it still kinda feels like the materials used could have been of better quality and finally WHY DO THE STRAPS GO OUTSIDE IN... they should fire whoever did that.

Hyperdunks: 497grams
f16151e7d26a6762105eb4d62bf527b269b26f4.jpg

Soldiers III: 480grams
1802598ed7da96eb6af686aa0d46ac81a66d4cc.jpg

+ some more pics for comparison;
d1b350dae4a8d95a60b06d0466d17ec96c2afa9.jpg
14c15fe6de686661412e93485919df859884ca5.jpg
3b825f3ecadc968e6926f7964353dee842077f0.jpg

Damn.... how did they do that?!

No crappy flywire... no crappy lunar... Zoom Air front and back and still lighter than "the lightest and strongest ever"!!!

Good job Nike!

I should get my pair later today... but I am worried about the fit cause I got my true size.

Originally Posted by flipknoc

I thought the release date on these were 4/17. How did you get them so early?
For example... they have been released in Europe on 4/1.

I've just tried on my pair... all I can say right now... it's very VERY GOOD. in my size (10) hyperdunk is 388 grams and the Soldier 3 is exactly 400,but the cushioning is far more superior!!! Very responsive... better than Soldier II and Soldier I. Plus I have a feeling the traction will be also solid sothis may go down as one of the best LeBrons ever. More tests... very soon. So far I am like this...
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

^ how is it faithlessshox's soldiers are lighter than hyperdunks even being a full size bigger, and yours weigh more?

Originally Posted by joejoebob2099

^ how is it faithlessshox's soldiers are lighter than hyperdunks even being a full size bigger, and yours weigh more?

It's possible when different components have a certain weight and bigger sizes can multiply this property, but with different proportions.
For example Zoom Air is considered to be heavy right? So it's possible that is has bigger impact on my small size (10) than in the case of size 14..

Originally Posted by flipknoc

I thought the release date on these were 4/17. How did you get them so early?
This is a fun fact about the soldiers I and the soldiers III (and maybe the soldiers II but I am not sure about that), these both released inEurope before they released in the USA, I think they where added to nike EU 4th of April.. I actually enjoy writting reviews, but usually I can only get shoesthat have been out in the USA for a while so there usually isn't any point... But hey, at least I got to review these 2 sneakers
smile.gif

Originally Posted by kaczalas

Originally Posted by joejoebob2099

It's possible when different components have a certain weight and bigger sizes can multiply this property, but with different proportions.
For example Zoom Air is considered to be heavy right? So it's possible that is has bigger impact on my small size (10) than in the case of size 14..

Hehe this is pretty funny that there is such variation in weight, but I never knew that 4 sizes = +-20% more weight?
laugh.gif

Btw kaczalas, where you from?

faithlesshox, if you also have the 20.5.5's please let me know how it compares as far as comfort.

was there anything actually wrong with the no-inner-booty design? there are good shoes out there with standard tongues... jordan 13, 14, 23, shox vc2, vc3 forexample

wait, so do the straps actually strap? i was under the impression they were just elastic bands like the old webbers.

dunkman and/or concord colorways will be copped for outdoor ball.
smokin.gif

Nice review, definitely gonna pick these up first chance I get. Summertime is coming up and I need some outdoor ball shoes.

They're nice, good traction and reeeeeaaaally light, but the ankle support/cushioning around the cuff is sparse and it seems like itd wear out a littlequicker than past shoes...maybe its just me.

sorry greg...

i went to go get these today and they are already sold out at every spot within 25 miles in size 13. what a let down.

Im gonna go tomorrow and see if anywhere around me has them but how does the traction compare to the hyperdunks? Traction is one of the most important thingsto me in a shoe. I thought the hyperdunks were good the the pattern on these dosent look like they would be great.

Played in mine today. Took about 5-10 to break them in. After that they were butter. Fit true to size. Great traction. Zoom feels nice - spring but not toosoft. Very light. Good support with the straps loose. Still on the fence whether I'm going to cut off the straps. Man, I'm gonna have to buy thewhite/blues when they come out.

-S

Originally Posted by lebrady23

Im gonna go tomorrow and see if anywhere around me has them but how does the traction compare to the hyperdunks? Traction is one of the most important things to me in a shoe. I thought the hyperdunks were good the the pattern on these dosent look like they would be great.
Actually Hyperdunk's traction is really bad IMHO. The biggest downside apart from the Lunar-crap cushioning.

Soldier 3 has a pretty good grip... I've played on both clean and dusty floors and there was no slipping involved. So far it's really hard to point amajor flaw in this design... loving 'em more each time!!

Originally Posted by ToroTrigger

They're nice, good traction and reeeeeaaaally light, but the ankle support/cushioning around the cuff is sparse and it seems like itd wear out a little quicker than past shoes...maybe its just me.

sorry greg...
T, no need to apologize... durability is something that we need to find out on our own and it does take time. At this point I am very satisfiedplaying ball in ZS3s, but more tests are needed... that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom