∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

Mmmm. Alice.

Ruth Wilson 
pimp.gif

jun24wilson02_hitn.jpg

Ruth-Wilson-Wearing-Balenciaga-The-Lone-Ranger-German-Premiere.jpg

She and Michelle Monaghan are in a tug of war for my heart.

Ruth-Wilson.gif

Last edited:
Nah, your info is all off man. Unless you talking about the golden globes or some ****. Cranston won it three years in a row when BB first started but he hasn't won in a little bit.

it was Jeff Daniels winning last year in one of the biggest jokes ever :x

The year before that Damian Lewis won it.
Oh I'm definitely confusing awards. W/e which one Cranston just one for the first time some time last year is the awards I'm thinking about.

Aint that the one where all the celebs are sitting at tables getting drunk just like the globes?

Cuz I just remember Cranston winning then and losing the year before that but Aaron Paul was like the only one from the show to win and he also had beat out Giancarlo I believe.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Golden Globes don't really mean anything. It's literally like only 70 guys who vote for it. That's it. And they always tryin to be extra. Someone bribes em every year.

But yeah...Cranston's about to get 4 Emmys for 5 seasons, and even that sounds 1 short of being fair.

2002 Maggie > Alice

Last edited:
Spacey has no chance in hell of winning :lol:

Breaking Bad Season 5 part 2 is eligible for this years Emmy

McConaughey vs. Cranston would have been :wow:

Wow forgot about this

Cranston would beat anybody MM included, it's not even close.

Greatest TV performance ever IMO

Eh. Call me a Matt stan but that episode where he did the raid with the coke dealers might be GOAT performance. I've rewatched that episode crazy amount of times.

Walter White performance is clearly the favorite and one of my favorites ever but idk if anyone is touching Matts acting during episode 4.

And this is coming from someone who thinks BB is the greatest series of all time

Last edited:
I finally finished the show.

McConaughey is better in True Detective then he has been in any film, Dallas Buyers Club included. Harrelson continues to prove that he has been and is one of the most talented and underrated actors in the last 3 decades.

The show itself had a lot of positive moments, but at times became too dialogue heavy, and in a dreary way, not in a Aaron Sorkin kind of way. It took away from the show at times because it dragged.

Those saying that an 8 episode mini series is better or on par with shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, Lost, The Sopranos and so on are out of their mind. This show while good at times, doesn't hold a candle to any show with longevity and a real backbone. Unfortunately, as humans we often get caught up and live in the moment and tend to forget about the past. While greatness is often created, a legacy that is sustainable is cultivated over time.

People will remember the performances of this show, with the two leads. But the show itself, will not be one that stands out like the others I've mentioned above.

Nah, your info is all off man. Unless you talking about the golden globes or some ****. Cranston won it three years in a row when BB first started but he hasn't won in a little bit.

it was Jeff Daniels winning last year in one of the biggest jokes ever :x

The year before that Damian Lewis won it.

Jeff Daniels, who had been in the Bermuda Triangle of Hollywood up until The Newsroom, is FAN FREAKING TASTIC on the show, don't hate.

I don't know how people compare the wire and breaking bad to this True Detective though. I don't feel like its really fare given true detective had 8 episodes to flesh out everything they wanted the viewer to know. And you can't compare an individual season to true detective for the same reason. I honestly think what they did with true detective made it one of my favorite viewing experiences of a tv show ever.

Its up there in enjoyable-ness for me with Mildred Pierce, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. But i can't necessarily say one is better then the other the formats are too different to compare for me.

Eh. Call me a Matt stan but that episode where he did the raid with the coke dealers might be GOAT performance. I've rewatched that episode crazy amount of times.

Walter White performance is clearly the favorite and one of my favorites ever but idk if anyone is touching Matts acting during episode 4.

And this is coming from someone who thinks BB is the greatest series of all time

I'm not going to turn this into a Cranston vs MM thread but there are multiple episodes of BB with better performances than MM in episode 4, don't be a prisoner of the moment

The more and more i think about, I'm pretty pissed off that the 20 year journey finished with a loser simpleton as the antagonist. That's a pretty weak bad guy after all the years of a super powerful and secret cult was built up. Just not my cup of tea. Show fell off after the interrogation scenes finished save a few moments. I can come up,with a bunch of reasons to convince myself ohhhh it's unsatisfying because life is like that blah blah blah. It lost a lot of its relplayability and meaning with the last few episodes. The acting is ridiciculosuly good though

Last edited:
The more and more i think about, I'm pretty pissed off that the 20 year journey finished with a loser simpleton as the antagonist. That's a pretty weak bad guy after all the years of a super powerful and secret cult was built up. Just not my cup of tea. Show fell off after the interrogation scenes finished save a few moments. I can come up,with a bunch of reasons to convince myself ohhhh it's unsatisfying because life is like that blah blah blah. It lost a lot of its relplayability and meaning with the last few episodes. The acting is ridiciculosuly good though

Dude was more than a simpleton. He was just on his keyzer soze.

It was a marvelous first season. Short and simple. They got to the point and told the most important part: the story. This easily couldve been a 13/23 episode season though, and it probably would have been just as good.

All in all, im satisfied.

I'm not sure if it's already been stated, but there won't be a Bryan Cranston/ MM dilemma at the Emmys because "True Detective" will fall into the TV movie or miniseries category due to it's anthology format. Cranston and McConaughey can both win.

Again, it's probably already been brought up...but my single biggest problem with this series was the Audrey red herring. She draws sex pictures at school, fine. Turns into a rebellious dumbass teenager with sexual issues, fine. But the scene with the men surrounding the barbie was just too far to be considered coincidence. That bothers me, and the writer and director should have known better.

Last edited:
^I read an interview with the director who said something like he had 90 minutes worth of good footage per episode.

^^He also seemed fairly clueless about why people were so sure that Hart's family was somehow involved. I think the set designers maybe got a little overzealous with some of the stuff and Fukunaga just didn't notice.

Have any of you read the yellow king? It is free on iBooks and other mediums. Just read the first chapter and you would understand why this finale is a brilliant homage.

The write/creator dismissed "The King in Yellow" and Lovecraft in an interview. I don't know why...he obviously took some liberties there. Don't get me wrong, he's the brains behind a brilliant season of television but reading his interviews and listening to him talk after the episodes...he comes off as a slight windbag
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Again, it's probably already been brought up...but my single biggest problem with this series was the Audrey red herring. She draws sex pictures at school, fine. Turns into a rebellious dumbass teenager with sexual issues, fine. But the scene with the men surrounding the barbie was just too far to be considered coincidence. That bothers me, and the writer and director should have known better.
Yea...those pictures Audrey drew got the point across. But if you asked people what the most memorable images of the series were, little Audrey's toys posed exactly like the Carcosa cult rapes is top 10, easy. ... I figured, all that piling on symbols and icons for mood and foreshadowing, they threw it in there just cuz they could and never thought twice.

^I read an interview with the director who said something like he had 90 minutes worth of good footage per episode.
Yeah, the girl who played older Audrey said they shot a scene of her and Marty talking in the hospital. I feel like I was waiting for that kinda scene to happen in the finale, that'd...complete the Hart family's story. And it never came. Welp. :lol:

The write/creator dismissed "The King in Yellow" and Lovecraft in an interview. I don't know why...he obviously took some liberties there. Don't get me wrong, he's the brains behind a brilliant season of television but reading his interviews and listening to him talk after the episodes...he comes off as a slight windbag :lol:  

I watched a video where he said the complete opposite...

Edit here it is:

Last edited:
just finished watching the finale...

hopefully this deads all the TD > The Wire and/or BB :lol:

good show tho.

Back
Top Bottom