∞True Detective Season 1 Thread ***CLOSED***∞

Yall need to get on Top of the Lake if you liked True Detective though. It's got the same slow burn, dark and gritty, mystery crime thriller type of feel. I wouldn't say it's as good but it's up there. Only 7 episodes long and it's on netflix. 

^forgot I never responded
But the thing is Marty and Rust were never going to take down all five men, especially if one of them was a U.S. senator.

Even in the practical sense that you speak of, a common detective isn't going to bust down a door and arrest politicians and wealthy business men. Especially not when they didn't kow who those men even were going into the last 55 minutes of the season (might as well be series since this is a mini series.)

See...I never said I wanted that. :lol: I mean, I loved Chinatown...and that was the "power over justice prevailing" flick. The "monsters with money always find a way" movie. Just felt like TD started writing off the practical case stuff, after episode 5 when the Rust interrogation ended. And after they finished the Marty and Maggie ones too, we got the weakest hour of the series.

It just had this inevitable...inertia to it. The show was moving up to ep 5, but after that it kinda just floated to Errol's house. I wasn't looking for a twist...just for them to treat their revelations like they were revelations. They kinda just piled on a bunch of Tuttle/Childress/Ledoux info that we didn't need. Like out of episodes 6, 7 and the beginning of 8...there were what? 2 solid hours of redundant case stuff. And you could tell in the way were going through the paces, that almost none of it really meant anything.

It's the same reason we knew there'd never be any thing coming of the theories about Audrey and Maggie's dad etc. There were 55 minutes left and no time to introduce and expand on that whole story line while still finding and chasing down and dispatching of Errol and giving Cole and Hart a satisfying closing. There wasn't enough time. Let alone to investigate and find the men who have been covering up the same crimes for 30+ years? And do all that in 55 mins?

And who's fault is that? :lol: That ain't fair. I liked the finale. I tried to go in, not really expecting anything particular. But where did you get 55 mins from? Where'd you 8 episodes instead of 13 or 10 or 6? It was a miniseries written from beginning to end in one go, all by the same writer. He could structure it however he wanted to, have whatever story be told it in whichever episodes he felt like best told his story.

I'm saying, at the end of the day, I don't think Nic best told his story after the 5th episode, because the framing device of those 2 black cops grilling Rust, Marty and Maggie, was the most powerful and unifying tool they used to tell their story. The last 3 episodes would've been so much stronger had Nic found a way to keep it going through to at least the 7th episode.

Because once the show lost Rust as the sorta...voice of god, and Marty as the voice of the everyman, it became a smaller, more trivial thing...until they got to Errol's house.

Hart said it himself, that's not the world, but they got the man they were after - the one who killed Dora Lange and hunted down those other children. We know they did their part in incriminating the senator et al because we heard about it. We have to trust that in the show's universe things carried on from there, we just won't get to see it or know what comes of it.

And it sucks and it's gonna drive us crazy if we keep stressing and wondering over it :lol:

See, for me it's not especially about what happened down the stretch...what got revealed, what didn't...it's about how it was put together. The ending to Inception was ambiguous, but if had ended 3 mins earlier on the airplane or at the airport...it wouldn't have been ambiguous. It would've just felt a little off, like it probably wasn't the best dramatic use of all the **** came before it.

I mean, I don't think it's nitpicking. It's definitely typing too much. :lol: But that's what mystery shows do. And if anyone wants to mention it in the same breath as Breaking Bad or The Wire? That's LeBron and KD. Okay, Carmelo. This is just looking closely at where you are and where you ain't. It's about efficiency.

Breaking Bad and The Wire left no stone untouched. There was hardly a word out of place. Every character and image and piece of info mattered in one way or another. They didn't give us anything that they didn't do something with, and never let that fact make them predictable. And that's the gold standard.

Last edited:
Oh this show is nowhere near BB and the wire 
laugh.gif

I've been in here telling the people claiming that to stop too.  And The Wire's last season wasn't great either.  And BB's first season was kinda slow...  But even then.

I think this show just had two great characters that drove everything powerfully for 5-6 episodes.  The show's also beautifully shot, it's one of the best looking tv shows ever.

But.. there are tons of flaws too, some of which you illuminated.  I think I just made peace with the fact that we wouldnt get everything cleanl wrapped (and I also never fell for any of the supernatural theories or the The Following-esque twist theories people expected)

so once I went into this knowing it was CSI: Carcosa, I was fine.

Great show. My favorite episode was definitely episode 4. Always with the comparison to other stuff though. 
laugh.gif

It seems like a lot of people think it took a downturn once we got away from the taped interrogation format.

I disagree.

It seems like a lot of people think it took a downturn once we got away from the taped interrogation format.

I disagree.

It def did... But that was because the re-telling of the stories in 95' were so amazing

Interesting. Just found out that True Detective will probably be in the mini series or tv movie category. Which means Matthew will probably win an Emmy for his performance and not compete against Kevin Spacey in the TV Drama category

Oh this show is nowhere near BB and the wire :lol:

I've been in here telling the people claiming that to stop too.  And The Wire's last season wasn't great either.  And BB's first season was kinda slow...  But even then.

I think this show just had two great characters that drove everything powerfully for 5-6 episodes.  The show's also beautifully shot, it's one of the best looking tv shows ever.

But.. there are tons of flaws too, some of which you illuminated.  I think I just made peace with the fact that we wouldnt get everything cleanl wrapped (and I also never fell for any of the supernatural theories or the The Following-esque twist theories people expected)

CSI: Carcosa, that was it really. Great show, but I think Luther was better.

I disagree.
I think the momentum in the story telling sowed down.  But I enjoyed the finale better than episodes 6 and 7. I know some people take issue with how procedural and "safe" the finale was.  But whatever I enjoyed the tension and though Errol was convincing as a psycho.  I think that's just because I didn't really care about the progression of the mythos nor about all the larger theories.

Interesting. Just found out that True Detective will probably be in the mini series or tv movie category. Which means Matthew will probably win an Emmy for his performance and not compete against Kevin Spacey in the TV Drama category
Yeah I figured as much. Said so pgs back.

I'm pretty sure they categorize American Horror Story the same and even more so for True Detective cuz it's only 8 eps.

Luther was really dope. Idris and Matts characters were different but very much alike in a sense. Both shows are amazing

I'm pretty sure they categorize American Horror Story the same and even more so for True Detective cuz it's only 8 eps.

I think it's up to the showrunners whether they go under the series or mini-series category. There was talk about it when Downton Abbey decided to switch over to the series category, which people didn't think was a good idea. I would've liked to see Matt go against spacey and see who they would've voted for.

As far as my favorite tv dectectives go, I like Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock better than Luther. The season 2 premiere "A Scandal in Belgravia" might be one of the greatest tv episodes i've ever watched and I'm a person who watches too many tv series.

Last edited:
Oh this show is nowhere near BB and the wire :lol:

CSI: Carcosa, that was it really. Great show, but I think Luther was better.
Two very different shows. While TD's slow burn and tense philosophical mystery was dope, Luther's dynamic, character interactions, up against the odds, mystery drama thriller is a whole other animal.

While I could compare Rust and Luther, the shows are too different. Plus Luther has way more great consistent eps.

Last edited:
Spacey has no chance in hell of winning :lol:

Breaking Bad Season 5 part 2 is eligible for this years Emmy

McConaughey vs. Cranston would have been :wow:

Wow forgot about this

Cranston would beat anybody MM included, it's not even close.

Greatest TV performance ever IMO

I think it's up to the showrunners whether they go under the series or mini-series category. There was talk about it when Downton Abbey decided to switch over to the series category, which people didn't think was a good idea. I would've liked to see Matt go against spacey and see who they would've voted for.

As far as my favorite tv dectectives go, I like Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock better than Luther. The season 2 premiere "A Scandal in Belgravia" might be one of the greatest tv episodes i've ever watched and I'm a person who watches too many tv series.
As much of a force as MM's Rust has been in the 8 eps I don't see how he gets more votes than Spacey's 26 eps of Frank Underwood. His Emmy is basically going to make up for the one they should've gave him last time when they gave it to Bryan Cranston (cuz they were making up for not giving him an Emmy years before).

I love Sherlock but it's a bit too whimsical for me at times. Way more methodical than any other show out there (even it's American counterpart, Elementary) and the mysteries/cases are more complex and enjoyable. To me though only the recent series stepped it up to a whole other level with ol dude that keeps everybody's secrets in his mind palace. I found their Moriarty too whacky. It was a good, different take but a bit out there as an archenemy but I see they're playing off Sherlock's introversion though. Anyway, as far as detectives go yeah Sherlock reigns supreme. Luther is more of a character piece so the character is dealing a lot more with the bad **** in his life (look how the first series went :x :smh: ), violence tends to be a deciding factor along with him using his wits and detective skills to catch a killer. Besides Alice is the real ruthless detective on that show.

Cranston won last year. Emmy's aint giving him a back to back.

Hope yall gonna be ready for that "upset"

Shame really, Cranston should've already had 2 for S4 of BB but stuff like Mad Men and Homeland wrongly got in his way imo.

The only thing that was stopping Spacey from winning imo was a possible bias against netflix shows but Robin Wright just got a golden globe for her portrayal of Claire Underwood opening the door for him and other shows on it.

Last edited:
Nah, your info is all off man. Unless you talking about the golden globes or some ****. Cranston won it three years in a row when BB first started but he hasn't won in a little bit.

it was Jeff Daniels winning last year in one of the biggest jokes ever :x

The year before that Damian Lewis won it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom