🎾 Official Nike Tennis (and other brands as well) Thread 🎾

Dunno if you know the story, but the Air Zoom Trainer came out in 2004... which was meant to be an updated Air Trainer 1 worn by Mac & Agassi back then.

These Zoom Tennis Trainers are basically the Air Zoom Trainer, but with and XDR outsole and a more durable upper.  

Last edited:

Dunno if you know the story, but the Air Zoom Trainer came out in 2004... which was meant to be an updated Air Trainer 1 worn by Mac & Agassi back then.

These Zoom Tennis Trainers are basically the Air Zoom Trainer, but with and XDR outsole and a more durable upper.  
That's a decade ago, whew. Thanks for the history lesson!

So I spotted some Air Tech Challenges in the AO colorway on Reddit.

Apparently super limited in the UK (you can imagine the resell prices we'll see).

Shame they're not general release, I think many people would buy them if they could. 

I loved the ZTT, had 4 or 5 pairs. The design flopped, not enough PR was put into them.

So I spotted some Air Tech Challenges in the AO colorway on Reddit.

Apparently super limited in the UK (you can imagine the resell prices we'll see).

Shame they're not general release, I think many people would buy them if they could. 
As huge of an Agassi fan as I am... those "special edition" ATC 2's never did it for me.  Never liked the colorways.  The Wimbledon & USO's doesn't really offer some "tribute" to him.  The AO one, while having his years-won on the tongue was a nice touch, the random 1036 total-games-won stat made no sense to me.  Anyone who watches a fair-share of tennis knows that it's not a commonly-used stat.   I dunno... just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 

As huge of an Agassi fan as I am... those "special edition" ATC 2's never did it for me.  Never liked the colorways.  The Wimbledon & USO's doesn't really offer some "tribute" to him.  The AO one, while having his years-won on the tongue was a nice touch, the random 1036 total-games-won stat made no sense to me.  Anyone who watches a fair-share of tennis knows that it's not a commonly-used stat.   I dunno... just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. 
Yeah, now that you mention it that stat line would be more appropriate football or a franchise. Actually didn't know what those numbers meant.

I would have put a 4 representing the number of AO titles or maybe the total number of grand slams.

I always liked the more modern emblems like Federer's plus signs, Wimbledon designs, and Nadal's for the FO:

I wish I bought these Vapors...who knew they would be banned.

Yeah, I didn't know what the 1036 meant too... till an NTer told me.  It's just so random.  I guess they wanted a big-looking number.

And yeah, those little logos would have been a helluva lot better.  Little Challenge Court burning balls with numbers on them. 

I guess that's the difference between Nike Tennis and NSW?

Any tried playing on a hardcourt with grass-court nubs?

Last edited:
Man, I wished the 4.3's were just cut a tiny bit higher.  I'm sure it won't make that much of a difference in terms of stability, but I just feel more comfortable in a higher-cut shoe.  That's why I've stuck with my ZTT's.  

Would love to hear all of the tennis NTer's opinions on a pair of Kobe 8 IDs I have planned.

I think you can guess where I got the influence from. 
tongue.gif

Original link for a closer look.

Always thought the kobe 8 would be a sick tennis shoe with the right touches to key areas.
Yeah! Funny you mention that cause a friend asked me if the Kobe 8s would work playing tennis and I honestly thought they could after a bit of break in.

Although, I would probably add in some Nike zoom bags like what Vapors have and shave some of that thick insole down for more court feel.

Always thought the kobe 8 would be a sick tennis shoe with the right touches to key areas.

Yeah! Funny you mention that cause a friend asked me if the Kobe 8s would work playing tennis and I honestly thought they could after a bit of break in.

Although, I would probably add in some Nike zoom bags like what Vapors have and shave some of that thick insole down for more court feel.
I have played tennis in my Kobe 8's and have found them to be an AMAZING tennis shoe.  Lockdown and fit are great, which means I have full confidence in my mobility.  Sometimes I feel like I am Gael Monfils chasing down the balls.  The shoe makes me feel faster on the court.  Also, since the shoe is low to the ground, court feel is not sacrificed at all.

The ONLY issue I have is that the Kobe 8's outsole is vulnerable to wear and tear, especially on a tennis court.  The outsole will burn faster than on a regular tennis shoe.  Other than the durability of the outsole, I have no complaints at all.

@LightLotus

I really like your ID, which I see is inspired from the Vapor 9 WTF in 2012.  I read someone saying that you should remove the speckles, but I say you should keep them.  The orange is what made the WTF shoe from a good colorway to a great colorway.

Last edited:
I have played tennis in my Kobe 8's and have found them to be an AMAZING tennis shoe.  Lockdown and fit are great, which means I have full confidence in my mobility.  Sometimes I feel like I am Gael Monfils chasing down the balls.  The shoe makes me feel faster on the court.  Also, since the shoe is low to the ground, court feel is not sacrificed at all.

The ONLY issue I have is that the Kobe 8's outsole is vulnerable to wear and tear, especially on a tennis court.  The outsole will burn faster than on a regular tennis shoe.  Other than the durability of the outsole, I have no complaints at all.

@LightLotus

I really like your ID, which I see is inspired from the Vapor 9 WTF in 2012.  I read someone saying that you should remove the speckles, but I say you should keep them.  The orange is what made the WTF shoe from a good colorway to a great colorway.

Wow, thanks for the post. I was honestly curious and you answered it in full detail.

Thanks, I agree. I was planning on keeping them. They add a little flair, but it isn't too over the top. :D

Does anyone have a pair of these in 10.5 or 11? Trying to find these before my current ones become unusable.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I know how you feel because these are what my Vapors look like ;(

No, these were my 2nd pair of ZTT's.  They're about 1 year old in terms of court-time.  

Still playable, for sure... but gotta think ahead anyway. 

Last edited:

No, these were my 2nd pair of ZTT's.  They're about 1 year old in terms of court-time.  

Still playable, for sure... but gotta think ahead anyway. 
Oh okay, good luck buying another pair.

I only found one pair in 7.5 on ebay, but can't believe it's dead stock! 

Would gladly purchase that Swiss Davis Cup pair, but I doubt we'll ever have access to such a thing.  Was going to see how close I could get using Nike iD but looks like they took the 9 down, even though the products still show in the search.

Back
Top Bottom