09 Real Deal College Football Discussion/No Homers - Lets geh geh GET IT!

Forgot all about Autzen
smh.gif

Illinois will struggle to make a Bowl Game this year. They just do not have a ton of talent. Tez was supposed to be it on the defensive side and he was stilllooking lost. The O is decent and can get wild like they did against Michigan last year but they have zero RBs that scare me. Benn better leave after thisseason and might want to sit down for the year to protect that.

Originally Posted by lowslows

What stadium is the loudest in the country?

I was arguing with my boy and from my experience's in Lane stadium it has to be up there.

I went twice last year and it was
eek.gif
sick.gif

I know death valley and Ben hill griffin are up there too...
ben hill griffin
autzen
neyland
i heard it get loud in bama and at auburn
death valley
south carolina is known to get pretty loud too (williams-brice)
happy valley
the shoe was
sick.gif
for that USC game
all of these stadiums seem like its
pimp.gif
to watch a game there

In the 64 years since Los Angeles Rams owner Dan Reeves and his chief bird-dog scout, Eddie Kotal, founded the modern scouting industry, NFL teams havelearned the value of the holy trinity of drafting -- size, speed and strength. These physical traits are the equivalent of a bar exam -- you can't become alawyer without passing that test, and you can't make an NFL roster without excelling in at least one of those areas. Teams rely on the three S's somuch that they are the overwhelming determinant in deciding who is placed at the top of a draft board.

[+] Enlarge
Geoff Burke/US PresswireGosder Cherilus' massive frame blinded Lions scouts to his poor performance.

But just because a player is big, powerful and/or fast doesn't mean he can play football. A case in point: former Boston College offensive lineman andcurrent Detroit Lions right tackle Gosder Cherilus.

In the spring of 2008, I reviewed seven of the Eagles' games in Cherilus' senior season and found a number of metric concerns -- chief among thesewas that Cherilus gave up 5.5 sacks and one offensive holding penalty in only 90 vertical pass attempts. A good NFL right tackle who plays a full season willgive up that many sacks and penalties on 150 to 175 vertical pass attempts -- Cherilus was putting up less-than-acceptable totals against collegiate-levelcompetition. That performance level carried over into his first professional season, when he tied for 20th among right tackles in sacks allowed and had thethird lowest point-of-attack run-block win percentage at his position.

Simply put, Cherilus didn't stack up as a first-round prospect. He had all of the physical characteristics to play in the NFL (6-foot-7, 318 pounds,5.21-second 40-yard dash), but the on-field numbers should have shown Detroit that he wasn't worth the high draft pick.

That is exactly the type of thing I will be looking for every week in the NFL Draft Lab. The top 2010 draft prospects will be run through theperformance-metric lab test to see whether their on-field play matches their physical skills. Those who pass will get the TFS metric stamp of approval. Thosewho fail will get the dreaded "overhyped" label.

[h4]Draft Lab: Patrick Robinson[/h4]
52.gif
Size: 5-foot-11, 193 lbs.
Profile | Scouts, Inc.

[h5]The Football Scientist's take[/h5]
  • • Physical attributes are unquestioned
  • • Has a 8.3 YPA in 2009 -- subpar for a professional cornerback
  • • Crucial missed tackle in Miami game
  • • Might be trying not to lose, instead of trying to win
  • • Two big penalties this season

For today's Draft Lab, I will be looking at the early performance of Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson. Robinson's elite physical skills areunquestioned. The Seminoles coaches say that he compares to all-time great FSU cornerbacks Deion Sanders and Terrell Buckley in this area. He is also ranked No. 11 on theScouts Inc. draft boardand No. 25 on Mel Kiper'sboard.

But these skills did not show up at all in the first two games against Miami and Jacksonville State. He had eight passes thrown at him in these contests.One of these was nullified by an offensive holding penalty, so that leaves seven aerials that counted.

Three of those passes were completed for 43 yards. Robinson was called for a 15-yard pass-interference call on another, so that makes it 58 yards on sevenpasses, or an 8.3 YPA. That is a subpar mark for a professional cornerback, and it actually could have been worse, as a Jacksonville State receiver dropped a14-yard completion on the aforementioned holding penalty. Add that play back in, and Robinson's YPA would be 9.0 yards.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Phil CoalePatrick Robinson is an incredible athlete, but it hasn't translated to his performance on the field.

The high YPA wasn't the only negative for Robinson. He also had a missed tackle and was called for an offside penalty in the Miami game. The missedtackle came on a third-and-15 play early in the fourth quarter, and it led to a first down on a drive that resulted in a Hurricanes touchdown. The penalty gaveMiami a first-and-goal after Florida State made a stop on second-and-goal.

Robinson was also called for a roughing-the-kicker penalty on a punt in the fourth quarter of the Jacksonville State game. The Noles were down 9-7 at thetime, and the infraction gave the Gamecocks a first-and-10 at their own 48-yard line. The mistake was so crucial that as soon as it happened, Sun Sports colorcommentator Keith Jones blurted out, "That's just stupid."

To be fair, Robinson did make a few plays. He notched a sack and a pass defended against Jacksonville State to go along with a tipped pass and a string-outon a run play in the Miami contest. Even taking those into account, at this point Robinson is making poor plays much more often than he is making good ones. Inaddition, my scouting eye says he might be trying not to lose more than trying to win, possibly in an effort to protect a high draft spot.

It is too early to give Robinson a full TFS "overhyped" grade, but at this point he receives it on a preliminary basis.

KC Joyner, aka the Football Scientist, is a regular contributor to ESPN Insider. For more information on his core metrics, check out his Web site.

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Originally Posted by dreClark

ESPN INSIDER REQUEST

Is Patrick Robinson overrated?

nerd.gif
harrisidunno2s.gif
lmaooooooo, well played.

Don't act like y'all ain't go away from him.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

That is exactly the type of thing I will be looking for every week in the NFL Draft Lab. The top 2010 draft prospects will be run through the performance-metric lab test to see whether their on-field play matches their physical skills. Those who pass will get the TFS metric stamp of approval. Those who fail will get the dreaded "overhyped" label.
[h4]Draft Lab: Patrick Robinson[/h4]
52.gif
Size: 5-foot-11, 193 lbs.
Profile | Scouts, Inc.

[h5]The Football Scientist's take[/h5]
  • • Physical attributes are unquestioned
  • • Has a 8.3 YPA in 2009 -- subpar for a professional cornerback
  • • Crucial missed tackle in Miami game
  • • Might be trying not to lose, instead of trying to win
  • • Two big penalties this season

For today's Draft Lab, I will be looking at the early performance of Florida State cornerback Patrick Robinson. Robinson's elite physical skills are unquestioned. The Seminoles coaches say that he compares to all-time great FSU cornerbacks Deion Sanders and Terrell Buckley in this area. He is also ranked No. 11 on the Scouts Inc. draft board and No. 25 on Mel Kiper's board.

But these skills did not show up at all in the first two games against Miami and Jacksonville State. He had eight passes thrown at him in these contests. One of these was nullified by an offensive holding penalty, so that leaves seven aerials that counted.

Three of those passes were completed for 43 yards. Robinson was called for a 15-yard pass-interference call on another, so that makes it 58 yards on seven passes, or an 8.3 YPA. That is a subpar mark for a professional cornerback, and it actually could have been worse, as a Jacksonville State receiver dropped a 14-yard completion on the aforementioned holding penalty. Add that play back in, and Robinson's YPA would be 9.0 yards.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Phil CoalePatrick Robinson is an incredible athlete, but it hasn't translated to his performance on the field.

The high YPA wasn't the only negative for Robinson. He also had a missed tackle and was called for an offside penalty in the Miami game. The missed tackle came on a third-and-15 play early in the fourth quarter, and it led to a first down on a drive that resulted in a Hurricanes touchdown. The penalty gave Miami a first-and-goal after Florida State made a stop on second-and-goal.

Robinson was also called for a roughing-the-kicker penalty on a punt in the fourth quarter of the Jacksonville State game. The Noles were down 9-7 at the time, and the infraction gave the Gamecocks a first-and-10 at their own 48-yard line. The mistake was so crucial that as soon as it happened, Sun Sports color commentator Keith Jones blurted out, "That's just stupid."

To be fair, Robinson did make a few plays. He notched a sack and a pass defended against Jacksonville State to go along with a tipped pass and a string-out on a run play in the Miami contest. Even taking those into account, at this point Robinson is making poor plays much more often than he is making good ones. In addition, my scouting eye says he might be trying not to lose more than trying to win, possibly in an effort to protect a high draft spot.

It is too early to give Robinson a full TFS "overhyped" grade, but at this point he receives it on a preliminary basis.

KC Joyner, aka the Football Scientist, is a regular contributor to ESPN Insider. For more information on his core metrics, check out his Web site.

Ehhhhhh, that missed tackle was an abberation (Yes homer) So in reality, he's only allowed like 33 yds on 7 completions (
tongue.gif
).

Jonas Mouton gets suspended for the EMU game for punching a ND player. Kid needs to calm down. He is always out there jawing and starting stuff. Plus, RRshould have grabbed this from the word go and suspended him. He is the best LB on the team but is kind of a spazz. JB Fitzgerald should get the start and if heimpresses hopefully we can move Obi Ezeh to the quick OLB spot because he is not a MIKE.

Montez Billings leaving Auburn.

Chiz said he's leaving to pursue other things since he already has his degree, but he's suspended 4 games over academics...

Huh?

Provo will either be really happy tomorrow night or really pooped.
Should be a good game tomorrow!

Go Cougs!

Originally Posted by DLo13

Montez Billings leaving Auburn.

Chiz said he's leaving to pursue other things since he already has his degree, but he's suspended 4 games over academics...

Huh?
roll.gif

well, he has to be enrolled in at least a class in order to play, so maybe he hasnt been going or he just blew the class off.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom