2008 BMW M3 or Newer car in 2016 opinions........

since there is 0 background given....don't know if you commute to work a lot have another car and this is a project purchase or "performance car need" because you have a commuter car. If this is your every day car....etc. my advice is:

Cars are depreciating assets. I never really know why people want to sink money into them. IMHO buy a reliable cheap car. I have had my corolla for 5 years and put 175k miles on it. Have had next to no problems since ive owned it. The alternator blew once. Other then that...standard: brakes, oil, maintenance..the usual. I will never own a luxury car. For my "enjoy the road" experiences i have my motorcycle. Cars to me are an unfortunate necessity.

My advice is get a newer car. Make sure its cheap and reliable and put the rest of the money in the bank for your kids college fund

since there is 0 background given....don't know if you commute to work a lot have another car and this is a project purchase or "performance car need" because you have a commuter car. If this is your every day car....etc. my advice is:

Cars are depreciating assets. I never really know why people want to sink money into them. IMHO buy a reliable cheap car. I have had my corolla for 5 years and put 175k miles on it. Have had next to no problems since ive owned it. The alternator blew once. Other then that...standard: brakes, oil, maintenance..the usual. I will never own a luxury car. For my "enjoy the road" experiences i have my motorcycle. Cars to me are an unfortunate necessity.

My advice is get a newer car. Make sure its cheap and reliable and put the rest of the money in the bank for your kids college fund

I could understand that but man dudes aint thinking about no college fund for they kids...not right now :lol:. Whenever I have kids they gonna have to bust they *** just like I did and we take it from there.

If anything id put it away to cop a crib,condo,townhouse asap instead of those who are renting.

I'm going to tell you what a BMW salemen told me..."Never buy a luxury car or item that depreciates over time. These are things you lease. Only buy things that go up in value like property etc." Plus on the serious side never buy a BMW out of warranty. My parents have one and it is a wallet buster. I swear everyttime there is an issue with it and the prices BMW comes up with to fix little things are beyond ridiculous. Just MHO.

I'm going to tell you what a BMW salemen told me..."Never buy a luxury car or item that depreciates over time. These are things you lease. Only buy things that go up in value like property etc." Plus on the serious side never buy a BMW out of warranty. My parents have one and it is a wallet buster. I swear everyttime there is an issue with it and the prices BMW comes up with to fix little things are beyond ridiculous. Just MHO.

Why you think BMW has some of the best lease deals and incentives. They know what it is :lol:

let me tell you what my uncle , boss and a few other bmw / other luxury vehicle owners told me when i got the car.............they all basically said "youre going to get attention from girls thinking you got money to blow , and people that drive toyotas will find a way to criticize your car to give their minds a reason why they dont have a luxury car"  

Last edited:
Are you buying a 8 year old M3 just to say you have a M3? Why buy a car so old?

Like saggin' your pants just to show off the Fendi belt.

Last edited:

Lol a car is not ment to be an investment though, i agree a luxury car should be leased if you even want to spend money on that kind of thing but outside of thag i see nothing wrong with buying a car as long as you dont plan on swapping a ton, having an eternal car note is dumb imo.

To be fair, this is a na e9x m3, a true drivers car with a cult following.

Last edited:
To be fair, this is a na e9x m3, a true drivers car with a cult following.
thats why my first response was , dumb question......this is an enthusiasts car and youre going to have people like me that will defend getting an older m3 > a brand new accord.........its not everyones logic but i said the same thing in the car thread , ill daily an M car til i cant afford one or die .

before its asked , with that same sentence of "afford one" goes this , yes i am prepared and aware of the M maintenance costs , and i am willing to pay that extra amount and do the extra maintenance to have an M .......if i have an infiniti and treat it/care for it like a GTR , why cant i have an M3 and treat it like an M3 ? get it ? but thats for me , i have friends that say , you are crazy for paying what you pay for that , BUT i know you love cars , my friends are burning and playing video games on the phone and they know im looking at cars on iG .....youre talking about a e9x M3 ........its not a "normal / practical" car to begin with 

Last edited:
before its asked , with that same sentence of "afford one" goes this , yes i am prepared and aware of the M maintenance costs , and i am willing to pay that extra amount and do the extra maintenance to have an M .......if i have an infiniti and treat it/care for it like a GTR , why cant i have an M3 and treat it like an M3 ? get it ? but thats for me , i have friends that say , you are crazy for paying what you pay for that , BUT i know you love cars , my friends are burning and playing video games on the phone and they know im looking at cars on iG .....youre talking about a e9x M3 ........its not a "normal / practical" car to begin with 

Do you take your car to the track or live in a rural area with no traffic? Not coming at you just always wanted to know where people who are enthusist actually get to enjoy their cars, because avg major city has too much traffic for the most part to really drive and enjoy a car.

Do you take your car to the track or live in a rural area with no traffic? Not coming at you just always wanted to know where people who are enthusist actually get to enjoy their cars, because avg major city has too much traffic for the most part to really drive and enjoy a car.
actually in miami , a lot of traffic , spend 90% of my commutes in red light to red light traffic , not completely stuck but youll go 4-5 avenues then reach a big one and a small traffic jam , it will open up after that then another traffic jam and etc......basically anytime between 6:30 am and 7 pm anywhere in miami is like that .......i drive my car like an old man that drives a caprice/crown victoria/cadillac 90% of the time , even if there isnt any traffic......i like that my car has power and speed but it has a million other options and features .....i wont track my car and i dont like "dogging it out"........one can have a very fast car and not think theyre speed racer / toretto.....just a regular working man that loves the way 3 series bimmers look and i wanted the top model ...das it mane 

The question is, do you want to pay far out of the *** when maintenance comes up(omg AND its an M), or do you want to pay a note every month?

I'm trying to give advice that makes sense. I'm all for buying nice cars. Heck I could trade my current car in for a 2016 M3 to lower my car payments, so it's not like I'm trying to advise him while pushing a Camry.

All I'm saying is if all you can afford is an 8 year old M3 then get your money right first and then buy an M3 when the time is right.

I've wanted nice cars since I was in high school but I didn't buy one until this year because I had other responsibilities beforehand.

@wj4 thank you for your story, gave me some real insight. I know you're a smart dude too.

If you feel old BMW makes you an enthusiast/expert by all means do you.

Most of you on this forum are spoiled/rich anyways.
Good talk guys thanks

Last edited:
Get a Subaru WRX! If you live in an area with heavy snow, that AWD will come clutch 

M3 is one of the few cars where older doesnt necessarily mean worse. And I mean that not from a reliability standpoint.

let me tell you what my uncle , boss and a few other bmw / other luxury vehicle owners told me when i got the car.............they all basically said "youre going to get attention from girls thinking you got money to blow , and people that drive toyotas will find a way to criticize your car to give their minds a reason why they dont have a luxury car"  

I dislike this mentality and I've seen it on here from other m3 owners, that camry drivers are "hating" on us because they cant be like us. Some people value where their money is going in terms of cars. Like someone said you can get other enthusiast cars for that price range so the m3 is not in some exclusive club.

I dislike this mentality and I've seen it on here from other m3 owners, that camry drivers are "hating" on us because they cant be like us. Some people value where their money is going in terms of cars. Like someone said you can get other enthusiast cars for that price range so the m3 is not in some exclusive club.
lol 

Da last of the V8's....do it papi

Seriously though...I own a 2008 e92 335i coupe and while I stunted for a quick min in that thang, the reliability on the turbos are :x

Back
Top Bottom