2012 NBA MVP Thread

The basic problem with this discussion is how you define MVP.

Do you judge MVP by hypothetically removing the player from that team and judging their potential success?
Do you give it to the best player on the team with the best record?
Do you give it to the best all-around basketball player regardless of his team or how they're built?

You can make a case for a lot of different people depending on how you want to see it.

You cannot say Lebron shouldn't get it because of who he plays with and then in the same breath give it to Durant. I've posted it a few times today, but if the season ended today, Harden, Westbrook, and Durant would be scoring at a historically efficient level (greater than the 87 Lakers). So why does the talent of Durant's teammates not disqualify him if it does for Lebron?
I never go into MVP voting with an exact formula. I try to weigh team success, individual stats, and the player's impact on his team. 

MVP =/= Most Valuable Player
MVP = Best Player on team with or close to most wins

It's going to go to LeBron or Durant. Depends on how these last two weeks shake out. Right now I got Durant.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Do you judge MVP by hypothetically removing the player from that team and judging their potential success?
Do you give it to the best all-around basketball player regardless of his team or how they're built?

You can make a case for a lot of different people depending on how you want to see it.

You cannot say Lebron shouldn't get it because of who he plays with and then in the same breath give it to Durant. I've posted it a few times today, but if the season ended today, Harden, Westbrook, and Durant would be scoring at a historically efficient level (greater than the 87 Lakers). So why does the talent of Durant's teammates not disqualify him if it does for Lebron?
I never go into MVP voting with an exact formula. I try to weigh team success, individual stats, and the player's impact on his team. 
The award isnt called the Best Player award. It should go to the player that if removed from a team, the team would without a doubt be nowhere near where they are now. So I'd go with your first suggestion out of the three.

And just a question, would you rather be on the Thunder without Durant or the Heat without Lebron?

Originally Posted by JD617

Originally Posted by ohboydanny

No love for Kobe?

He isn't the MVP of his own team.

Don't be ridiculous.  Gasol or Bynum individually are not more valuable than Kobe.  Together maybe, sure, but on their own, get real. 

You guys can try and define it however you want but its really a 3 headed race IMO..

1. Lebron
2. Durant
3. Kobe

If one of these dudes doesn't win it I will be shocked. Don't throw Love in this discussion when his team isn't even .500

This is always what I've believed to be the best way to judge the MVP of the league. Don't really understand how you can say the talent level around someone should dictate whether they win individual awards. Lebron had ridiculous stats with Cleveland, when he was clearly what the defenses would focus on and had almost no help. He's averaging even more ridiculous stats with the Heat, where he obviously isn't dealing with the same amount of double teams and such. However, he has two great players who can score in bunches just like he can on any given night.
So where do you go with that? Is it more impressive to average the points he does while playing with Wade and Bosh? Or less? Too many arguments there IMO.

Right now I can't decide between Durant and Lebron. 

Originally Posted by ohboydanny

No love for Kobe?

roll.gif

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by HarlemToTheBronx

If we're saying who's most 'valuable' to their team, how would the Heat look without LeBron. Would they really fall to the bottom of the standings?

I guess it depends on how you define 'most valuable.'
So by that logic, you take Rose off the Bulls and what are they?  Still crushing the competition in the East.  They were doing this last year as well.
Last season's MVP voting set a horrific new standard for MVP voting.

AT, I'd put Kobe 6th.  Is it really that bad that I'm putting only 5 other players ahead of him?  

I get your point. I guess it just comes down to this:

Originally Posted by RavageBX

MVP =/= Most Valuable Player
MVP = Best Player on team with or close to most wins

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

It the award was about who's team would be the worst without them, it would be Dwight hands down.

Dwight's team sucks with Dwight though.

What's ridiculous about Bynum having a better year than Kobe?

They have the 5th best record in the league. 
laugh.gif

That's what I'm saying AMP.

Dwight's team doesn't suck, Dwight's teammates are highly inconsistent.

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

It the award was about who's team would be the worst without them, it would be Dwight hands down.

And they would be exponentially worse without him.

It's easy to say they suck when they're coming off a blowout loss to the Knicks.

As for the current MVP race KD seems to be the frontrunner right now and I expect him to win it this year.

Originally Posted by NiceLikeChrist

The award isnt called the Best Player award. It should go to the player that if removed from a team, the team would without a doubt be nowhere near where they are now. So I'd go with your first suggestion out of the three.

And just a question, would you rather be on the Thunder without Durant or the Heat without Lebron?
Then as already mentioned Dwight Howard should win every year. EVERY YEAR. Thunder and Heat are still playoff teams without KD and LeBron. The Magic are not.

Having a better PER does not = having a better year. 

I know you'll do your best to place everyone short of Luke Walton above Kobe on his own team, but Bynum is not the most valuable Laker, yet. 

Very entertaining tho given the previous 4 years everyone on this board saying how much Bynum sucked now sucking him off.  Predictable. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Orlando has been blown out 5 different times by 20+ points this season. NO MVP-caliber player should let that happen.
Dwight is NOT an MVP this year.

Kobe has an All-Star center and just because he's racking up 30 ppg doesn't mean much. Without Gasol or Bynum this team would be trash.

LeBron is doing well, but he's got the 2nd best 2-guard on his team right now. Miami is a solid team without LBJ.

I would love for Kevin Love (no pun) to get it but his team's mediocre record can't be ignored. Granted he gives 100% but the scrubs on his team are enough for me to put him #4 on the MVP list.

I'm giving it to Durant. Top seed in the West. Crushing teams. Best scorer in the league. And yes, the pieces around him help him in this case. The team is doing great and the team starts with Durant.

All this debate proves how +*%!@!* meaningless this award has become.
All started with Steve Nash being given the award for no reason.  And I remember someone saying it back then, this is a baaaaaaaaad idea. 

Shoulda listened to that guy back then. 
wink.gif

All this debate proves how +*%!@!* meaningless this award has become.

Hey, that's what happens when you give someone an MVP because of how great his story is and ignore how much other factors were into a team being so good.

LeBron's stats are good this season and in some categories it's slightly better than Durant, but he's playing on a better roster than Durant. Put LeBron off the Heat and put Durant off the Thunder, how valuable would each be to their team? At the end it should be a close race, but my vote would go to Durant.

Back
Top Bottom