2012 Toyota GT-86 / SCION FRS/ BRZ - FRS $24,930 MSRP

So I pulled out of the BRZ order. With tax and tags, and the weak trade-in value, I'm going to go elsewhere. This car isn't worth EVO X pricing, even with the push start, heated seats, and leather. Not sure what I'm getting now but back to the drawing board.

Evo starts at $35k, are you saying after all is said and done, the BRZ is coming up to that price?

I know they don't have many options I just don't like how the one without navi looks in the inside. That's one of those personal things I'm into cause I could care less about the leather,spoiler, and fog lights to be honest. I don't like how the aftermarket stuff looks so I would want that in the car already.

The Nav is standard on the BRZ. You can get the $25k Premium version (the stock version) and it'll come with it.
2d9d8h.jpg
Repped and tells I've just being mainly paying attention to the Scion version even though in hind sight all the BRZ reviews did have the navi. Smh at myself. :smh:

Evo starts at $35k, are you saying after all is said and done, the BRZ is coming up to that price?

Yea. I went to a subaru dealership over the weekend to check the price for the limited one.
The dealership have a white limited BRZ for almost 34k. Smh.
Went next door to a scion dealership and they have a silver FR-S with no Nav for 26k.
Way overpriced in my opinion for the BRZ

Yea. I went to a subaru dealership over the weekend to check the price for the limited one.
The dealership have a white limited BRZ for almost 34k. Smh.
Went next door to a scion dealership and they have a silver FR-S with no Nav for 26k.
Way overpriced in my opinion for the BRZ

I guess since Subaru doesn't have Scions no haggle rule then they can mark it up especially since only 6k units are being sold in the US. If that were the case, I'd certainly go for the FRS for sure. I am not sure why Toyobaru decided to not give the Scion an extra option like the Subaru though, for those that does want an integrated Nav pretty much makes them rule out the FRS and its cheaper price.

Repped and tells I've just being mainly paying attention to the Scion version even though in hind sight all the BRZ reviews did have the navi. Smh at myself. :smh:

It's all good, both are practically the same car so it's easy to get confused with the two.

[h1]The Worst New Car Deals: August 2012[/h1]
by Michael Zak | AOL Autos

Posted: Aug 18, 2012

brz.jpg

[h3]1. Subaru BRZ[/h3]

MSRP: $25,495 - $27,495
Invoice: $24,327 - $26,112
Fuel Economy: 22 mpg City, 30 mpg Highway

Average Discount Off Of MSRP: -2.99%

Eagerly awaited, the Subaru BRZ is an all-new front-engine rear-wheel drive 2-door sport coupe. Engineered and designed together with Toyota, the attractively styled and lightweight BRZ embodies a return to sports car roots. The rear-wheel drive BRZ is powered by a 200-hp 2.0-liter flat boxer 4-cylinder engine with both direct and port injection and is matched with either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission.

The BRZ is actually selling for almost 3% higher  than its MSRP due to the sporty car having limited production and very high demand.

You really need to see both cars in person. the fr-s cloth interior is really cheap feeling. the brz is worth the extra money. 

You really need to see both cars in person. the fr-s cloth interior is really cheap feeling. the brz is worth the extra money. 

I sat in a FR-S today. While I won't say the interior is close to the Limited's, any car guy worth his salt is grabbing Brides or Recaros anyways. I know I will be. Also, turns out the dealer I went to will install aftermarket navis approved by Toyota, essentially making them OEM. So the FR-S can get navi, as I've read on ft86club... Hmm...

Wait a couple months and the prices will return to normal (MSRP)

There are tons of dealerships adding on extras like leather, wheels, sound systems etc for extra profit. 

In Canada (not too sure about the States), the FR-S cost about 31k after tax, with dealership add-ons, I've seen as high as 39k.

I was excited to get one upon release, but ended up buying a clean AP2 S2000 with 40,000 KMS or 25,000 miles for $30k.

After driving both, I have zero regrets!

Damn canadian prices are crazy. The only things i really like about the limited are the alcantara seats and the keyless start. I think i might get the premium and save that $2000

I sat in a FR-S today. While I won't say the interior is close to the Limited's, any car guy worth his salt is grabbing Brides or Recaros anyways. I know I will be. Also, turns out the dealer I went to will install aftermarket navis approved by Toyota, essentially making them OEM. So the FR-S can get navi, as I've read on ft86club... Hmm...

Navi option will cost a lot, though.

Might as well go with an aftermarket double din.

Damn canadian prices are crazy. The only things i really like about the limited are the alcantara seats and the keyless start. I think i might get the premium and save that $2000
The Canadian market definitely gets shafted when it comes to prices.

We (Canadians) save THOUSANDS easily just by buying a car in the states, and importing it ourselves.

:wow: :x :smh: best one ive seen so far....

So I pulled out of the BRZ order. With tax and tags, and the weak trade-in value, I'm going to go elsewhere. This car isn't worth EVO X pricing, even with the push start, heated seats, and leather. Not sure what I'm getting now but back to the drawing board.

i know the feel bro. pulled out of a 2013 wrx order myself. it got priced at almost 30K after tax and tags. im going to a dealership in boston saturday and gunning for a base 2012 there. i saw one for 27K but that dealership is tripping if they think they can sell it for more than a 2013 (26k) talk about ridiculous mark up. invoice is 24,900 so ima aim towards that.

MA tax is only 6.5 compared to 8.9 in nyc :x

Navi option will cost a lot, though.
Might as well go with an aftermarket double din.

Maybe. I could always go back later on like I did with the Evo.

i know the feel bro. pulled out of a 2013 wrx order myself. it got priced at almost 30K after tax and tags. im going to a dealership in boston saturday and gunning for a base 2012 there. i saw one for 27K but that dealership is tripping if they think they can sell it for more than a 2013 (26k) talk about ridiculous mark up. invoice is 24,900 so ima aim towards that.
MA tax is only 6.5 compared to 8.9 in nyc :x

Yeah these dealers know that there's not a lot to choose from, so they're being greedy. Luckily Scion has the "pure price" stuff.

The BRZ took 4th place in MotorTrends 2012 Best Drivers car beating the Aventador, XKR-S, Shelby GT500, ZL1 & MP4-12C.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1208_2012_motor_trend_best_drivers_car/viewall.html

Keep in mind it isn't about the lap time when it comes to it being ranked, more about how ti drives and how fun it is.

4th Place: Subaru BRZ
The little engine that almost did

Let's get the obvious bits out of the way. Compared with the other eight contenders, the 200-hp Subaru BRZ is woefully underpowered. As Lago pointed out several times in our BDC planning meetings, the BRZ shouldn't even be in our epic nine-car drag race. Going uphill from turn 5 to 6 felt like being on a roller coaster: You're just waiting to get to the top. The brakes, while better on the track than those of the Lambo or the Shelby, really aren't track-day material. It's a $28,000 car! There are going to be compromises. And, again, this is not Best Numbers Car, but Best Driver's Car. Our hats are off to Subaru (and Toyota).

With the exception of Mazda's Miata, has any car ever punched above its weight like this? Mortara, for one, doesn't think so. "If price were a factor, the BRZ would win this competition hands-down. This car, like the Miata, proves you don't need a monster engine to be a great driving car. The clutch and shifter are perfect. I really can't find any faults with this car. Everything about it works great. After the driving loop, I had to laugh about the BRZ going out last because it was deemed the 'slowest.' Maybe out of the gate, but once you're in the turns, this Subaru feels just as fast as the rest." Adds Evans, "Man, this little thing is good. Chassis control is fantastic. Pedals are perfect for heel and toe. Great, super-precise steering. The throttle feels like it has a cable. Just so good. Anyone could learn a thing or two driving this car." MacKenzie concurs, noting, "The BRZ will teach you the most about driving fast. You'll learn not to waste momentum, to be economical with the brakes, and be precise with your lines. Be fast in this car and you'll be fast in anything."

The biggest thing I noticed when jumping out of Supercar X and into the BRZ is that, qualitatively, there's no letdown once you're inside the Subie. The important stuff -- the steering wheel, the shifter, the pedals -- all feel as good, if not better, than the other cars in this test. Subaru got the major things right, especially the weight -- at 2754 pounds, the BRZ is the lightest in this group by 575 pounds (the next-lightest, the Porsche, weighs 3329 pounds) and, boy oh boy, does that pay huge dividends both on the track and the street. The sense of control you get is astonishing. Back to Evans: "When it loses grip, the BRZ slides so nicely. It's so composed that you barely have to correct a slide." Kiino piles it on: "Such great balance. Makes you feel so totally connected to the car. Confidence-inspiring, which makes the limits easy to explore. Just like the Miata, a great learner's tool and expert's toy." Speaking of experts, a certain Mr. Pobst picked the BRZ as his second car overall.

Here's what Pobst said the moment he leapt out of the BRZ: "Fabulous car! Oh, my god! I mean, really just a wonderful and satisfying experience. I feel like I can just drive this car right on the edge of the friction circle. What a satisfying ride in terms of...everything!" Of course, the BRZ didn't win. It came in fourth. A great showing, but still only the leader of the mid-pack. Aside from mild on-track brake fade, the real culprit was lack of power. It's just not that quick and you find yourself wanting more power. And could it be that lower-powered cars are just easier to drive? Here's what he said about the issue: "I think the answer there is, yes, it is easier to make a car handle right with less power because you don't have the extreme weight changes that come with accelerating fast." We'll know for sure in the near future when Subaru releases a turbocharged, 274-hp version of the BRZ. But Subaru doesn't need to make any apologies for this version. It's wonderful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom