2012 Year-In-Review: The 10 Most Disappointing Albums

“You had your chance and you blew it!” These were our most disappointing album releases of 2012.

304795.jpg

10. Saigon – The Greatest Story Never Told Chapter 2: Bread & Circuses – The problem with making a sequel to classic or beloved hip-hop record is that people will undoubtedly compare it to it’s predecessor. Saigon’s official sophomore effort was not a bad record by any means, but consider this: a) his first album, being in the vault for so long, had the time to marinate to perfection and b) his first album was almost entirely produced by Just Blaze. With Just only contributing two tracks, the difference was evident. Saigon still held his own, but perhaps billing it was a sequel to the original was not the right move.

51BuP2HAQrL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

9. Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded – We’re not sure what we were expecting here, and probably should have known better, but after the original Pink Friday, we hoped for a return of the “mixtape Nicki”, considering she’s built a fanbase that will buy her album no matter what. Instead, we got another pop record with a bunch of tracks like “Starships”. Even worse, not even a year later, they tried to re-release it as Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded: The Re-Up, counting on her less-than-scholarly fans to go for the double dip. Re-tarded.

2-chainz-1024x1024.jpg

8. 2 Chainz – Based On A T.R.U. Story – Yah? No. Sure, it was packed full of hits, but he really delivered a stinker with the album. We thought that the G.O.O.D. Music affiliation might have somehow made for a decent LP; joke’s on us for believing in marketing.

34b2c1bc0c0f11e290ea1231380f301e_7.jpeg

7. Meek Mill – Dreams & Nightmares – Meek had a strong year, filled with many of the biggest club tracks, which unfortunately were not included on his album. The fiery Philly upstart spent bangers like “Ima Boss”, “Burn” (w/ Big Sean), and “House Party” on other projects, rather than lacing his own record with them, while the album itself was a pretty weak entry to begin with. Perhaps his sophomore release will see the manifestation of his untapped genius.

00-Front.jpg

6. Wiz Khalifa – O.N.I.F.C. – The pressure was really on Wiz to deliver something great, as his Atlantic debut was a huge letdown. After collaborating with Snoop on the solid Mac & Devin Go To High School soundtrack, we thought for sure that Wiz would settle in nicely In First Class. Things started off on a sour note once the internet caught a glimpse of the cover image, while the album itself didn’t do much to justify the curious choice of wardrobe.

slaughterhouse-welcome-to-our-house-cover.jpg

5. Slaugterhouse – Welcome To Our House – While this album wasn’t bad, the standard set by Shady Records is so high that naturally we expected a better LP from the House Gang. It was probably also a challenge to channel four different personalities into one cohesive effort.

Lupe-Fiasco-Food-and-Liquor-2-Album-Review.jpg

4. Lupe Fiasco – Food & Liquor 2: The Great American Rap Album Part One – Only topped by Nicki Minaj’s Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded: The Re-Up, this album just missed the “most asinine album title of the year award”. The all black album cover – which worked on Jay-Z’s The Black Album because it was a near classic – tried to put this record on some kind of high level of pretention. Likewise for audacious sampling of Pete Rock’s “T.R.O.Y.”, which caused a stir of it’s own. Much like Lasers, LF’S F.A.L.2.T.G.A.R.A.P.1. was a disappointment.

busta-rhymes-year-of-the-dragon.jpg

3. Busta Rhymes – Year Of The Dragon – Bait & switch. The year of the dragon was 1992, when “Scenario” came out. At least it was free.

j_dilla_rebirth_of_detroit_wordisbond_600x600.jpg

2. J. Dilla – Rebirth Of Detroit – The idea of this album was to create some kind of “rebirth of Detroit”, pairing Dilla’s beats with a lot of different emcees, some of whom never worked with Dilla in the past. The end result was not only a let down sonically, but it also caused an “unnamed engineer” who mixed parts of the album to attack the project, calling it a disgrace to Dilla and his catalog. Dilla’s legacy is fragile, let’s not taint it with anymore bad, posthumous releases.

folder.jpg

1. G.O.O.D. Music Presents Cruel Summer – Easily the most anticipated album of the year, one that boasted a super-group of Kanye, Common, Q-Tip, Kid Cudi, John Legend, the album was more focused on pushing newer members Big Sean, Pusha T, and 2 Chainz – the latter of whom is not even a card-carrying G.O.O.D. artist. Sure, the album produced some of the year’s biggest hits, but was a far cry from the rest of the music of the collective crew.

Last edited:
i heard Slaughterhouse was all drugged up in the process of making that album, damn it was dissapointing :lol:

I nearly exited this tab immediately when saw Saigon's album, but that's a fair explanation. I bought it a couple weeks after it came out, and it's VERY good. Has some good beats, and the lyrics and content are off the charts. I never listened to his 1st album, but with Just Blaze producing nearly the whole thing, I could definitely see how this isn't up to par.

'Our House' was hands down the biggest disappointment to me. They let that wacky Eminem **** bleed all through the album, and it was awful. I can't call any of those other albums listed disappointments, cause I didn't have high expectations for them anyway. Oh, and yea, that Busta mixtape sucks.

I nearly exited this tab immediately when saw Saigon's album, but that's a fair explanation. I bought it a couple weeks after it came out, and it's VERY good. Has some good beats, and the lyrics and content are off the charts. I never listened to his 1st album, but with Just Blaze producing nearly the whole thing, I could definitely see how this isn't up to par.

'Our House' was hands down the biggest disappointment to me. They let that wacky Eminem **** bleed all through the album, and it was awful. I can't call any of those other albums listed disappointments, cause I didn't have high expectations for them anyway. Oh, and yea, that Busta mixtape sucks.
Saigon's first album was cold blooded
nthat.gif
, check it out sometime

Agree with Cruel Summer being #1.

Meek's album was exactly what I thought it would be, for me. A sort of garden-variety good album with some bangers, inspirational tracks, etc. It didn't have that one smash song like Ima Boss or House Party, but it was an okay album. Same sort of thing with BOATS.

I dunno what people wanted from Wiz :lol: dude pretty much went back to that K&OJ feel with a couple of radio-oriented songs mixed in. Paperbond :smokin

Wow, did not know Busta or Saigon has an album last year. I aint hear no songs or any buzz. If I heard something by Busta I probably thought he was the featuring artist. Literally heard nothing about Sai dropping a sequel.

Don't agree with F&L2. I really liked it and still do, felt it was way better than Lasers but I can overall see how ppl don't feel it lasted.

Slaughterhouse should be higher. Made me not want to listen to the group again. Really rather Joell and Royce drop more solo efforts. Cruel Summer was mixtape status, didn't know the Dilla joint was hyped like that for it to be on this list.

Overall 2012f for me did have more disappointments and wasn't among the best but there were gems.

Mossman did you make this list? If so nice

4 verses on every song just doesnt work. They either need to kick one of them out (Crooked I) or switch the formatting up. Link 2 of them together per song and have 4 songs max where all four of them are on it spitting individual verses

Wow, did not know Busta or Saigon has an album last year. I aint hear no songs or any buzz. If I heard something by Busta I probably thought he was the featuring artist. Literally heard nothing about Sai dropping a sequel.

These are the songs that made me pick it up

4 verses on every song just doesnt work. They either need to kick one of them out (Crooked I) or switch the formatting up. Link 2 of them together per song and have 4 songs max where all four of them are on it spitting individual verses

I don't mind the 4 verse format, but I think they'd be better suited either 2 doing a normal verse & the other 2 splitting a verse, or all 4 split 2 verses, then everybody has like 4 bars for the last verse. They could easily trade off doing that throughout their albums to vary it up.

2 Chainz belongs on here

I didn't have a problem with the Slaughterhouse album. I thought it was straight but maybe because I didn't have high expectations

I loved Cruel Summer, played the hell out of it.

I thought Food & Liquor 2 was money

Meek's album was trash, easily top 2 on the list

Nicki, who cares. Never heard it, never will

Wiz album was disappointing, not bad but there were plenty of weak songs on there. A few good songs though.

I would add TI's album to this list. A few good songs but a lot of BS on it.

Cruel Summer started off STRONG. Then it dropped like a brick. The last half of that thing is far below average, especially considering who was working on it.

Meek's album fell short.

People like 2 Chainz, Nicki Minaj and Chief Keep weren't "disappointing" because there were literally no expectations of those idiots to put out anything worth listening to.

J. Dilla – Rebirth Of Detroit     

^^^^ Truth what the **** happened here... I was so disappointed. those other project were obvious hype-beast failure albums..

Honestly after looking at all the albums on this list I am actually disappointed that people actually were disappointed by most of the albums listed other than F&L 2 or Our House. I can honestly say for the rest I didn't expect much at all.

Back
Top Bottom