2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mr. OKCtober too good?

Oklahoma City Thunder fans have seen this movie before. Only this time, they're hoping for an alternate ending.

In case you haven't noticed, the Thunder are juggernauts again. They're 20-4, which is the best record in the NBA. And they've achieved that lofty record despite the sixth-toughest strength of schedule in the league thus far. With 10 victories over winning teams -- no other team has more than eight -- they've earned the top spot on the Hollinger Power Rankings with a comfortable cushion over the rest of the league.

Kevin Durant is playing like an MVP once again, pushing his ceiling to seemingly impossible heights. Russell Westbrook is back, registering a Westbrook-like 23.2 PER in December. Only one other player can match Serge Ibaka's 14.6 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game this season, and he was drafted No. 1 overall a year ago -- Anthony Davis.

"
Why not? To be the best, I think you eventually have to get to a starting role and you have to do it consistently. Thirty-plus minutes night in and night out and get championships. So that's the thing that motivates me each and every day and what I strive for.
"
-- Reggie Jackson to the Oklahoman
We knew the OKC trio was good. We just didn't know teammate Reggie Jackson would be this good, this quickly. This season, he is averaging 12.0 points, 3.5 assists and 3.8 rebounds per game. Not impressed? Well, those numbers are deflated because he's playing as a reserve. He is averaging 17.6 points, 5.1 assists and 5.6 rebounds per 36 minutes while shooting 47.5 percent from the floor. As I pointed out in last week's episode of The Big Number, the list of players who can match those totals is a short one: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Manu Ginobili.

Yeah, Jackson's good. But OKC fans might be dreading that he's too good. Here's why: One of the ironclad rules during general manager Sam Presti's tenure in OKC is he does not let his young studs get to free agency. Sign them to an extension before their rookie deal expires or flip them to another team for more assets. Jackson is eligible for an extension in July.

The small-market organization can't afford to let the open market set the prices. Faced with the possibility that his young player could walk away for nothing, Presti has made his policy clear: extend early or trade before it's too late.

Presti is serious about this rule. Just ask James Harden, who was traded four days before the final season of his rookie contract began. Look at Jeff Green, who was starting for the division-leading Thunder before he was dealt midseason in 2010-11.

Is Jackson next?

This is where OKC fans hope the alternate ending hits. Jackson has one more season left on his contract after this one, so the Thunder have some time to figure out his future. But he is boosting his price tag seemingly every game. At 23, Jackson is earning just $1.3 million this season and is due $2.2 million next season before his contract is up. The Thunder already have about $50 million dedicated to their star trio -- Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka -- in 2015-16, which is when Jackson's possible extension would kick in.

Here's the good news: The Kendrick Perkins albatross will expire that summer. Assuming Presti does not have a fetish for turnovers and pouting, Perkins won't be re-signed at big money, which would lift nearly $10 million off the books. The Thunder could fit Jackson into that space, assuming that he doesn't attract max offers from other teams in the same way that Harden did.

[+] Enlarge
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Jackson has blossomed this season with Kevin Durant leading the way.
But Jackson is not as productive as Harden was at this age and likely wouldn't garner an eight-figure salary in 2015-16. That math changes if Jackson develops a 3-point shot. He already is an elite penetrator and finisher at the level of Harden, but the Boston College product has lacked a complementary jumper.

However, that might be a thing of the past. In 24 games this season, Jackson already has made more midrange jumpers than he did in 70 games last season. Jackson converted 35.4 of his shots in that area last season and is now up to 47.2 percent. His 3-point shot efficiency also has risen from an awful 23.1 percent last season to 29.3 percent. If Jackson continues to develop his perimeter game, the Sixth Man of the Year Award will be his. And then some.

Jackson is getting better and already views himself as a starter in the league. When recently asked by The Oklahoman about whether he saw himself as a starter in the NBA, Jackson gave an ominous (to OKC fans) response.

"Why not?" Jackson said. "To be the best, I think you eventually have to get to a starting role and you have to do it consistently. Thirty-plus minutes night in and night out and get championships. So that's the thing that motivates me each and every day and what I strive for."

Jackson doesn't have a starting gig. And he's not averaging 30 minutes night in and night out. The Thunder hope that Jackson doesn't follow in Harden's footsteps, looking for a starting opportunity and a star's salary, because he probably won't find it in OKC.

The Thunder have been notoriously stubborn about their starting lineup even though it's getting clobbered by a margin of 10.1 points every 100 possessions this season, according to NBA.com. Jackson has played with the starting personnel in place of Thabo Sefolosha for just 20 of his 590 minutes this season. The Thunder have outscored opponents by seven in those 20 minutes, if you were wondering. Even better: Jackson in place of Perkins, where the score is 91-59 OKC in 40 minutes of action.

Jackson deserves more playing time, but he is playing behind a top-10 player in Westbrook. Perhaps Jackson could supplant Westbrook one day and allow the Thunder to find similar production at a discount price. But breaking up one of the top duos in the game doesn't seem prudent for a small-market team that has them locked up through 2016-17.

Ultimately, this is a good problem to have. OKC has produced yet another Sixth Man of the Year candidate out of nowhere to complement its stud trio.

Rest assured, the majority of NBA front offices would gladly trade their problems for OKC's "dilemma" of having too much young talent. Two summers ago, OKC fans wondered if Jackson could step in and be the next Harden. They'd better hope the impression goes only so far.

I never thought I'd say this, but this current Knicks team is almost as poorly put together as the squads during the Isiah years.

ipbBzFh1gROrq.gif
roll.gif

Is Mr. OKCtober too good?

Oklahoma City Thunder fans have seen this movie before. Only this time, they're hoping for an alternate ending.

In case you haven't noticed, the Thunder are juggernauts again. They're 20-4, which is the best record in the NBA. And they've achieved that lofty record despite the sixth-toughest strength of schedule in the league thus far. With 10 victories over winning teams -- no other team has more than eight -- they've earned the top spot on the Hollinger Power Rankings with a comfortable cushion over the rest of the league.

Kevin Durant is playing like an MVP once again, pushing his ceiling to seemingly impossible heights. Russell Westbrook is back, registering a Westbrook-like 23.2 PER in December. Only one other player can match Serge Ibaka's 14.6 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game this season, and he was drafted No. 1 overall a year ago -- Anthony Davis.

"
Why not? To be the best, I think you eventually have to get to a starting role and you have to do it consistently. Thirty-plus minutes night in and night out and get championships. So that's the thing that motivates me each and every day and what I strive for.
"
-- Reggie Jackson to the Oklahoman
We knew the OKC trio was good. We just didn't know teammate Reggie Jackson would be this good, this quickly. This season, he is averaging 12.0 points, 3.5 assists and 3.8 rebounds per game. Not impressed? Well, those numbers are deflated because he's playing as a reserve. He is averaging 17.6 points, 5.1 assists and 5.6 rebounds per 36 minutes while shooting 47.5 percent from the floor. As I pointed out in last week's episode of The Big Number, the list of players who can match those totals is a short one: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Manu Ginobili.

Yeah, Jackson's good. But OKC fans might be dreading that he's too good. Here's why: One of the ironclad rules during general manager Sam Presti's tenure in OKC is he does not let his young studs get to free agency. Sign them to an extension before their rookie deal expires or flip them to another team for more assets. Jackson is eligible for an extension in July.

The small-market organization can't afford to let the open market set the prices. Faced with the possibility that his young player could walk away for nothing, Presti has made his policy clear: extend early or trade before it's too late.

Presti is serious about this rule. Just ask James Harden, who was traded four days before the final season of his rookie contract began. Look at Jeff Green, who was starting for the division-leading Thunder before he was dealt midseason in 2010-11.

Is Jackson next?

This is where OKC fans hope the alternate ending hits. Jackson has one more season left on his contract after this one, so the Thunder have some time to figure out his future. But he is boosting his price tag seemingly every game. At 23, Jackson is earning just $1.3 million this season and is due $2.2 million next season before his contract is up. The Thunder already have about $50 million dedicated to their star trio -- Durant, Westbrook and Ibaka -- in 2015-16, which is when Jackson's possible extension would kick in.

Here's the good news: The Kendrick Perkins albatross will expire that summer. Assuming Presti does not have a fetish for turnovers and pouting, Perkins won't be re-signed at big money, which would lift nearly $10 million off the books. The Thunder could fit Jackson into that space, assuming that he doesn't attract max offers from other teams in the same way that Harden did.

[+] Enlarge
Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
Jackson has blossomed this season with Kevin Durant leading the way.
But Jackson is not as productive as Harden was at this age and likely wouldn't garner an eight-figure salary in 2015-16. That math changes if Jackson develops a 3-point shot. He already is an elite penetrator and finisher at the level of Harden, but the Boston College product has lacked a complementary jumper.

However, that might be a thing of the past. In 24 games this season, Jackson already has made more midrange jumpers than he did in 70 games last season. Jackson converted 35.4 of his shots in that area last season and is now up to 47.2 percent. His 3-point shot efficiency also has risen from an awful 23.1 percent last season to 29.3 percent. If Jackson continues to develop his perimeter game, the Sixth Man of the Year Award will be his. And then some.

Jackson is getting better and already views himself as a starter in the league. When recently asked by The Oklahoman about whether he saw himself as a starter in the NBA, Jackson gave an ominous (to OKC fans) response.

"Why not?" Jackson said. "To be the best, I think you eventually have to get to a starting role and you have to do it consistently. Thirty-plus minutes night in and night out and get championships. So that's the thing that motivates me each and every day and what I strive for."

Jackson doesn't have a starting gig. And he's not averaging 30 minutes night in and night out. The Thunder hope that Jackson doesn't follow in Harden's footsteps, looking for a starting opportunity and a star's salary, because he probably won't find it in OKC.

The Thunder have been notoriously stubborn about their starting lineup even though it's getting clobbered by a margin of 10.1 points every 100 possessions this season, according to NBA.com. Jackson has played with the starting personnel in place of Thabo Sefolosha for just 20 of his 590 minutes this season. The Thunder have outscored opponents by seven in those 20 minutes, if you were wondering. Even better: Jackson in place of Perkins, where the score is 91-59 OKC in 40 minutes of action.

Jackson deserves more playing time, but he is playing behind a top-10 player in Westbrook. Perhaps Jackson could supplant Westbrook one day and allow the Thunder to find similar production at a discount price. But breaking up one of the top duos in the game doesn't seem prudent for a small-market team that has them locked up through 2016-17.

Ultimately, this is a good problem to have. OKC has produced yet another Sixth Man of the Year candidate out of nowhere to complement its stud trio.

Rest assured, the majority of NBA front offices would gladly trade their problems for OKC's "dilemma" of having too much young talent. Two summers ago, OKC fans wondered if Jackson could step in and be the next Harden. They'd better hope the impression goes only so far.
Yea Perk coming off the books and Jackson's deflated stats due to his minutes are working in OKCs favor.

But if he does get 6th man of the year like Harden or have big playoff moments like Harden, then he may cost too much.

But if they retain him then Lamb is probably gone with KD/Russ/Serge/Jackson on the books at big money

Last edited:
Noah didn't come in the locker room poppin' off, he came to dap up his homeboy/former teammate who invited him to fall thru after the game was over...

You out here making it seem like Noah was trying to come pour in OKC's locker room after a close/heated game against a team that took their chance at winning the NBA Finals, far from the case, let me see that same intensity from Perk when going against Howard...D.Jordan... Bogut... or Splitter/Duncan and I'll be impressed.

He didn't come to "dap up his homeboy". Dude came in there and was just hanging out til Thabo was done with his interviews or whatever. He should have waited his *** outside the locker room like any other dude would/should have. I've never been in a locker room in my life that would be cool with that.

I never thought I'd say this, but this current Knicks team is almost as poorly put together as the squads during the Isiah years.

You are right.

A lineup of Prigioni, JR, Melo, STAT, and Bargs have been used plenty of times. :smh:

Now out of all those players which one do you think plays the best defense? :lol:

Things gotta get better with Chandler back...

Top 15 Most Popular NBA Jerseys:

1. LeBron James, Miami Heat

2. Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

3. Derrick Rose, Chicago Bulls

4. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City Thunder

5. Carmelo Anthony, New York Knicks

6. Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors

7. Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat

8. Chris Paul, Los Angeles Clippers

9. Kyrie Irving, Cleveland Cavaliers

10. Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers

11. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder

12. James Harden, Houston Rockets

13. Rajon Rondo, Boston Celtics

14. Paul George, Indiana Pacers

15. Michael Carter-Williams, Philadelphia 76ers

Steph at 6
pimp.gif
Are these the sales numbers? Because I honestly expected Paul George to be higher than this.

The MCW ranking is wild, and I still cant believe that D Rose is third.

Steph at 6
pimp.gif
Are these the sales numbers? Because I honestly expected Paul George to be higher than this.

And is just in the US or world wide? If its the whole world, that might explain why D. Rose is still so high and George is where he is. Rose is huge in Asia, right?

You are right.

A lineup of Prigioni, JR, Melo, STAT, and Bargs have been used plenty of times. :smh:

Now out of all those players which one do you think plays the best defense? :lol:

That's a tough question. If I can't answer none, I think I'd have to go with Bargs, which tells you all you need to know about that Knicks line-up.

Steph at 6
pimp.gif

i think this is ONLY from NBA.com and NBA store in NYC

Thabo invited Noah into the locker room, wasn't like he just busted in there. If you have a problem with players not having a contentious relationship with their opponents 24/7/7365, then you would alreayd hate the Thunder for having a big hug and kiss fest at half court before and after every game because they're all good friends with so many players from other teams; particularly KD and LeBron, who everybody wants to hate each other and be intense rivals but train together and have sleepovers and pillow fights at each other's house in the offseason (although this offseason I didn't hear of them getting together any). Hell, Westbrook and Rose workout together in offseasons too. It's not a big deal to me but whatever, I just wish Perkins would focus his energy on not having a 30% TOV and being one of the worst players in the NBA and not trying to be a bouncer

Steph at 6
pimp.gif
Are these the sales numbers?

I still cant believe that D Rose is third.
You act as if people are gonna stop buying suits

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom