2013-2014 NBA Thread - IND @ WAS and OKC @ LAC on ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also what he said about how he put in the hours in the gym was true. It's not like he was a slouch or lazy, dude was a workout warrior. The Wizards should have never given him the contract but you can't blame Gil for that.
Stories of Gilbert at the Verizon Center and Mason are legendary. Dude really worked out A TON.

Tiago Splitter might dunk less than any footer in the league.

He is always doin some awkward layup from point blank range where his hands are right at the basket, and misses a good amount of them.
lol any footer? what does that even mean?
anybody with feet, and sorry to beat an 18 million dollar dead horse with 1 knee, but I'm sure he dunks more than Kendrick Perkins

Last edited:
As a fan I miss seeing Gilbert play, but looking at it from a economic stand point, dude is pretty much retired at age 31. Has made close to 200 mill and now he can relax if he wants and take care of his family and raise his kids. He worked hard and overcame a lot so I'm happy for him.

Can anyone put me on some advanced stats sites that are noteworthy, or maybe any NBA statistic site in general that they've enjoyed (that you don't need a membership for, unless it's dirt cheap)?

Basketball blog/T'Wolves centric for a radio station I work at. Metrics are huge, and when you dig deep you'll find many angles that you can't see when you get caught watching the ball in some situations. Would work a lot of #s into articles, but try to draft them in the "Grantland" flair, freewrite style. Now, how they'd come out after they go to the editor, who knows. :lol: But we shall see.

*Never thought Brandon Knight was going to amount to much in the NBA. At Kentucky he didn't seem to have the quickness that is necessary at the next level, nor any type of passing ability that puts him ahead of the next guy. Good shooter obviously, but I still have to see more.

Sports-reference.com

Stories of Gilbert at the Verizon Center and Mason are legendary. Dude really worked out A TON.

You could tell in his game, dude wasn't a great athlete by any stretch, all skill. That's why during the Hibachi era his swag was through the roof because he knew the reps he was putting in. Confidence is just a result of proper preparation which leads to game winners from 30+ feet where you turn your back and pose before its through the net.

I like it, love Gortat.

Shannon Brown needs to have some LA flashbacks or something, he hasn't been relevant in a while but I'm looking forward to atleast a couple of great plays with him and Wall on the break.

Kendall Marshall kinda sucks at the NBA level

Melo. :lol:

In moves that don't matter: The T'Wolves cut Lorenzo Brown (NC State, Flip's second-round pick this year) and also Othysus Jeffers (who actually played pretty well in the action I saw). If you'll remember, Lorenzo Brown left school as a Junior. :\ I was in favor of hanging on to him as the 15th guy because of his size. He's 6'5", only just turned 23. The Timberwolves are going to need a backup PG for the future that can check in during certain situations where Ricky Rubio needs a breather. Lorenzo is completely unrefined, but why not keep him around and hope through some proper direction and repetition he can carve out a spot? Oh, well.

I mean, nothing to really care about. Especially nothing worth actually writing that paragraph I just typed above. :lol:

Snippet from an ESPN article published on March 28th of this year:

Gottfried says he spoke with representatives of about 15 to 20 NBA teams and believes that Brown can be a first-round pick. He pointed out that Brown has only played the point for the past two years after bouncing between the point and the off-guard positions during his freshman year under Sidney Lowe.

"I think guys like the fact that they would potentially get a player that's kind of on the front end of all the growth that may happen for him," Gottfried said. "I know there's a lot of teams that like him a lot. ... I think he's going to have a good future."

:smh:

The lines between read like he received some bad advice.

Random: Lorenzo Brown's coach his freshmen year was Sidney Lowe, who played for the Timberwolves in 1990, was the Timberwolves head coach from early 1993 through the 93-94 season, AND a Timberwolves assistant coach from 1991-1993, 1999-00, and 2003-2005. :lol:

Don't look now, but Sidney Lowe is an assistant for the Utah Jazz right now. Trey Burke is expected to miss 8-12 weeks, and the other options are John Lucas III and the guy-who-I-think-we-all-want-to-be-good Scott Machado. That spot is in flux right now. :nerd: I'm not predicting that they'll sign Lorenzo because a vet would be a more stable option, but for a team silently trying to lose, don't ignore that connection. :nerd:

ANYWAY. The waiving of Lorenzo Brown and Othysus Jeffers (who I'm just glad I don't have try to spell the name of anymore) leaves the one, final spot open on the roster. It'll be between Chris Johnson, Robbie Hummel, or A.J. Price. Johnson is guaranteed $916,000 this year, which David Kahn got in writing DAYS before he was fired. Seems jaded, no? I mean, any basketball executive wouldn't intentionally make bad moves because there's always a chance of that next job, but how about a guy like David Kahn, who is fully aware his name has been dragged through the mud by everyone in the national media to the point where there is absolutely no coming back.

I could see his arrogant *** trying to put the franchise in a bad spot if he knew what was coming. :lol:

Ultimately, I think Glen Taylor buys out Chris Johnson's ridiculous contract (especially with the Ronny Turiaf signing), and they go with Robbie Hummel as the last man.

It'd be a nice story, if nothing else.

Last edited:
Nice move for the Wiz. I hated that Nene-Okafor frontcourt, plus they get a bench scorer.

Kendall Marshall is a non-factor. The Suns probably just threw him in because he hated on their sleeved jerseys.

Not sure I like throwing in a protected draft pick, but otherwise a good trade for the Wizards.

Awesome trade for DC. Okafor was good, but has never stayed healthy for too long. That Wizards front court is huge. Gortat works well with a passing PG so Wall will make him look like a star. Shannon gets a chance to restart and the bench just got better. I honestly want the Wizards to let Shannon play PG off the bench. Eric is trash.

Shannon-PG

Webster-SG

Ariza-SF

Harrington-PF

Seraphin-C

^ Malcolm Lee. Went to UCLA, played for the Timberwolves last season. The oft-injured Malcolm Lee.

John Gambadoro ‏@Gambo620
Suns pick from Washington is protected up to 12 this year and then up to 10 in 2015 and beyond

Last edited:
The Wizards are clearly playing for the now, and not a team that has any plans on the lottery (not that any team is realistically planning on the lottery, but you know what I mean).

To me, this move cements to the fans that management believes their Wall-Beal-Porter trio is the one they're going with for the long haul. So DC fans, this is going to be your team for the foreseeable future.

I've always been a huge fan of Marcin Gortat. That unprotected pick could really go either way. Imagine if Washington sustains a few key injuries......

Last edited:
Michael Lee ‏@MrMichaelLee 6m
Hearing Marcin Gortat is main piece for #wizards. Kendall Marshall, Shannon Brown & Malcolm Lee not expected to stick around in DC

Bill Simmons had me convinced Gortat to the Thunder was inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom